Auto gratuities

marwest98

On a recent cruise I had to go to guest services.  While in line there was a group that told me they were having their Auto gratuities removed so that they would not have to pay them.  I was not aware that you could do this.  Why is this allowed?  Should we all do this?

Gratuity is and has always been a suggestion. I worked in many a restaurant......even auto gratuities can be removed. Lots of people don't know this; but there are those who will make a big enough deal to have them removed. This doesn't mean people should. It is a double edge sword: I wish the gratuities were factored in the fare, but I also don't wish for price increases. 

13 minutes ago, NotPayinExtra said:

Doesn't mean they shouldn't either. Hundreds do this per cruise. I've seen the lines of people waiting to have them removed. Some like cash in hand to those who dealt directly with. Frankly some get more from me this way, some less. Depending on the service. But I'm doing me. You do you. 

You don't have to wait in line, you can call GS and have it done

Can't say what everyone should do.  I wouldn't do it.  I leave the auto and then tip individuals additional (usually the same individuals to whom we used to have envelopes for in the before times.  Also tip at point of service for drinks, pictures etc.

For me it's not either or.  Wouldn't bug me if they made the gratuities part of the fare, doesn't bug me the way it is.  It's like 112 bucks over a week.  And that's 112 vacation dollars which is way less than 112 everyday dollars.

Why do they allow it?  Because it's a gratuity and they recognize the choice of the cruiser to want to give or not give them.

I would feel terrible if I removed it. They rely on it as part of their salary. It's not fair that Royal (and most cruise lines) do it this way, but it's not fair to the employees to remove it. If you feel like they should get more...then tip in cash on top of it. We brought 100 in ones last week and used them at the bars after each round of drinks. Left our room attendant 25 on the first night and additional money toward then end. Gave our server a cash tip but not a ton because we only ate there 3 nights. I actually felt bad about the lack of cash I saw being left for the bartenders 

14 minutes ago, ScottD said:

I would feel terrible if I removed it. They rely on it as part of their salary. It's not fair that Royal (and most cruise lines) do it this way, but it's not fair to the employees to remove it. If you feel like they should get more...then tip in cash on top of it. We brought 100 in ones last week and used them at the bars after each round of drinks. Left our room attendant 25 on the first night and additional money toward then end. Gave our server a cash tip but not a ton because we only ate there 3 nights. I actually felt bad about the lack of cash I saw being left for the bartenders 

I don't feel they should get more. And it's not my problem they rely on it as part of their salary. They took the job knowing some will tip more then others. Also that removing auto gratuities is an option. I tip what I feel is appropriate, Not the cruise line, not other cruisers. What I want to tip. Just like on land. And no I don't care about the folks washing the sheets in the laundry, etc. That's not my problem on land, not my problem at sea. I don't see a cruise as a humanitarian mission like some here do. Chocolates for the workers, Tips on top of tips, etc. Do any of you give this much thought to the people working in your local Walmart, etc? It's seems to be some kind of privileged guilt. I don't have that. Money for my trip comes from several years of saving. You wait on me, I leave a tip. The way people in this country have been doing for a hundred years. But making up the shortfall of a multi million dollar companies pay scale I don't feel is my problem. And as far as low wage workers goes, I know more of them then any other kind. Hell, I am one. A lot of people "only make" that kind of money. I cannot tip more then suggested amounts. That's my limit. Because I don't have, not don't want to. And I happen to think those that directly serve you should get the tip, like on land. I can't fix the world in a weeks vacation. That's not my responsibility.

3 hours ago, NotPayinExtra said:

I don't feel they should get more. And it's not my problem they rely on it as part of their salary. They took the job knowing some will tip more then others. Also that removing auto gratuities is an option. I tip what I feel is appropriate, Not the cruise line, not other cruisers. What I want to tip. Just like on land. And no I don't care about the folks washing the sheets in the laundry, etc. That's not my problem on land, not my problem at sea. I don't see a cruise as a humanitarian mission like some here do. Chocolates for the workers, Tips on top of tips, etc. Do any of you give this much thought to the people working in your local Walmart, etc? It's seems to be some kind of privileged guilt. I don't have that. Money for my trip comes from several years of saving. You wait on me, I leave a tip. The way people in this country have been doing for a hundred years. But making up the shortfall of a multi million dollar companies pay scale I don't feel is my problem. And as far as low wage workers goes, I know more of them then any other kind. Hell, I am one. A lot of people "only make" that kind of money. I cannot tip more then suggested amounts. That's my limit. Because I don't have, not don't want to. And I happen to think those that directly serve you should get the tip, like on land. I can't fix the world in a weeks vacation. That's not my responsibility.

I'm convinced that the same people who swear they tip above and beyond the included tips, are the same ones not tipping anything.  I just don't buy it.

5 hours ago, Wheeler825 said:

I'm convinced that the same people who swear they tip above and beyond the included tips, are the same ones not tipping anything.  I just don't buy it.

Got it, it's to show off for strangers on the message board.  That makes more sense. 🙄  

Not saying that everything on here is 100% true, but it's more likely that non-tippers would sooth their own guilt with that notion than it is that people, especially coming from service backgrounds, would lie about tipping for the benefit of strangers.

8 hours ago, Wheeler825 said:

All I'm saying is that besides us and maybe 5 other people... I saw no cash on the bars for a full week. So maybe people are making it up, or maybe I just wasn't around any  of the people who claim to tip extra. But it's a much lower number of people than I expected to see. 

3 hours ago, Xaa said:

Got it, it's to show off for strangers on the message board.  That makes more sense. 🙄  

Not saying that everything on here is 100% true, but it's more likely that non-tippers would sooth their own guilt with that notion than it is that people, especially coming from service backgrounds, would lie about tipping for the benefit of strangers.

No Wheeler825 has a really good point. It's more likely people here are full of **** then not. 

I also don't think people who don't tip at all have any guilt to "sooth".

However, just because someone doesn't like auto gratuity, doesn't mean they don't tip anything. People here are way to quick to condemn.

Gratuities should be just that. A tip for good service. Not a supplement to a low wage. 

By the way, it's amazing how many people here have "service backgrounds" when it comes to this subject, don't you think? Think about it. LOL.

Bottom line (and this is why I was sarcastic in my first post, thanking the person who brought this up in the first place). It's a personal choice. Everyone should tip what and how they want. And no amount of but this or but that is going to change people's minds. Nor frankly should it. I don't believe in living other people's lives for them. 

Again, everyone do your own thing. 

When I tip extra it is either for outstanding service or for uncompensated service (Diamond vouchers). Other than that I may round up. Why? I was rewarded for excellence in my career, and I believe in investing in human capital. It makes life better for everyone. At my age, I realize life is short so I want my discretionary expenses to make a difference. I can't take my bank account with me, so why not treat others as I was treated? Now 40 years ago life was different, money tight, and cruising not a factor. Cruising is a cultural experience, and an extra 15 per day on cash tips isn't worth worrying about.

14 hours ago, ScottD said:

Not sure if this is a 'culture' thing but I dont feel I should tip a bartender to get me a drink(especially if its just one drink). I certainly dont do this in the UK.  Is this the norm on the ship?

Gratuities on a cruise ship are not the same as tipping at a restaurant in the US. This is the primary source of income for these workers. Anyone who refuses to pay it is simply cheap and should stay home. If more people stop paying auto gratuities it will become harder for RCL to staff the ships and service will go down. Its that simple. 

Heres a diferent spin on it, if auto gratuities are paid in advance im guessing there is no real need to tip any extra (unless exceptional service).  As the staff dont know who has done this and who hasnt, therefore if  im at bar recieveing a drink and dont tip, im now considered 'tight', and person next to me orders drink and tips now considered 'generous'.   Using the same bartender everytime could lead to Mr/Mrs generous recieiving a better service (although it shouldnt!)

1 hour ago, ChessE4 said:

uncompensated service (Diamond vouchers)

This. 

We are very discreet about asking to use a voucher, however one time another guest heard, then saw us tip a couple bucks cash.   She felt the need to tell us that the vouchers were free so there was no need to tip.  I was about to say something when my wife said, “You do you and we’ll do ourselves”.  

2 hours ago, BennyandBo said:

No Wheeler825 has a really good point. It's more likely people here are full of **** then not. 

I don't think so, these people seem mostly fine to me.  Implying that they are lying is unfriendly at best.

2 hours ago, BennyandBo said:

I also don't think people who don't tip at all have any guilt to "sooth".

I don't really think anyone is racked with guilt, but something motivated him to have disbelief that people would tip beyond the auto gratuity.  It comes from some point of view shaped by circumstances in life.  It is also only apparently about tipping that he believes these people are lying

3 hours ago, BennyandBo said:

By the way, it's amazing how many people here have "service backgrounds" when it comes to this subject, don't you think? Think about it. LOL.

I don't think.  Many people wait tables as a method to put themselves through college or when just starting out on their career path.  It's quite common.  I haven't waited tables in more than 30 years, but I certainly remember it and it has informed how I tip and view tipping.  Why would you think people here would make that up?

3 hours ago, BennyandBo said:

Again, everyone do your own thing. 

On this we agree.  I never told anyone to do anything with regard to tipping.  I stated in this thread what I do and was portrayed as a liar.  Very odd.

3 hours ago, ScottD said:

All I'm saying is that besides us and maybe 5 other people... I saw no cash on the bars for a full week. So maybe people are making it up, or maybe I just wasn't around any  of the people who claim to tip extra. But it's a much lower number of people than I expected to see. 

You might not see me tip, but I do. I don't set cash on the bar. When my bartenders hand me back my SeaPass card, I hand them bills folded that same size. The tip makes it into their palm and into their pocket in the blink of an eye. They are practiced at accepting tips for sure. Sitting at the bar in the Music Hall on Anthem, I saw more people tipping than I'd noticed before, either by the drink or as they finished and left the bar, but very few leaving cash sitting out on the bar. I also tip my waiters, my stateroom attendant, and random people I see doing a great job, but that's me. I understand that not everyone feels the same way.

1 hour ago, icf75 said:

Heres a diferent spin on it, if auto gratuities are paid in advance im guessing there is no real need to tip any extra (unless exceptional service).  As the staff dont know who has done this and who hasnt, therefore if  im at bar recieveing a drink and dont tip, im now considered 'tight', and person next to me orders drink and tips now considered 'generous'.   Using the same bartender everytime could lead to Mr/Mrs generous recieiving a better service (although it shouldnt!)

So the auto gratuities don't really related to the bartenders, its more for other services...and they do know if you cancel it. The servers at MDR and your room attendant DO see if you pre-paid the gratuities or not.  The drink packages include a gratuity, so they do know when you get a drink on your package, you tipped...if you are buying them individually, I believe there is a line on the bill you sign to add a tip. But if someone gives them additional tips on top of the included tips, then yes... they will most likely get more attention. I never had to wait or even ask for a new drink after about my 2nd night at the same bar because they know I had a few ones for them every time they laid a drink down.  To answer your previous question, no... it's not the norm and it's not expected of anyone. But as someone married to a bartender, it's just something we do since we know bartenders love cash...its why they do what they do.

Considering the service industry is vast, I don't understand why it is unbelievable that a large group of cruisers worked or still work in it. 

I am not in anyone's bank account, you do you.

However, if you ask should people do something, you will get tons of answers either way. 

I may not see people tipping but that doesn't mean they aren't or even that they have to. I personally just think removing the gratuity is a bit cruel. Not going into the whole pay them a livable wage etc. argument. The crew are told when this happens, and I believe it dampens the morale. 

I'll start off by saying I always auto pay my gratuities, I just consider it part of the cruise fare.  I would never have them removed.  Then I will tip extra cash to the wait staff, room attendant, bartenders as I go, blah blah.  I've never really had bad service on a cruise.  However, tipping culture and expectations have gotten way out of hand in the US.  I get waiters and waitresses, they have to be tipped.  With inflation driving up the cost of your average restaurant tab though, along with 20% being the new minimum tip, most servers are doing just fine. They are making no where near the minimum wage.  So we need to dispel the myth that anyone working as a waiter or waitress is barely making ends meet because of their job.  That said, we need to go back to tipping being for a service provided that exceeds expectations.  The Dunkin Donuts worker handing me coffee at the drive thru window doesn't need to be tipped.  They really can't exceed the expected service level.  Same goes for the majority of other positions that now have tip jars and gratuity options on payment screens.  Another cruise related one is luggage porters, I throw them a few bucks mostly because I feel like I am supposed to, and so they don't "accidentally" leave my bag off the cart because I didn't tip them. But in reality, them taking my bags from me and putting them on a cart to take to the ship is their only job. There is nothing they can really do to exceed that expected service level.  So I kind of feel like I shouldn't have to tip for that, even though I do.  At the end of the day though, I won't let an extra $50 or $100 in tips negatively affect my $10,000 vacation.         

25 minutes ago, ScottD said:

So the auto gratuities don't really related to the bartenders, its more for other services...and they do know if you cancel it. The servers at MDR and your room attendant DO see if you pre-paid the gratuities or not.  The drink packages include a gratuity, so they do know when you get a drink on your package, you tipped...if you are buying them individually, I believe there is a line on the bill you sign to add a tip. But if someone gives them additional tips on top of the included tips, then yes... they will most likely get more attention. I never had to wait or even ask for a new drink after about my 2nd night at the same bar because they know I had a few ones for them every time they laid a drink down.  To answer your previous question, no... it's not the norm and it's not expected of anyone. But as someone married to a bartender, it's just something we do since we know bartenders love cash...its why they do what they do.

I'm going to need to see a source for your assertations here.  I haven't found any proof one way or the other that room attendants can see if you cancel tips or not, let alone there would be NO REASON for them to be able to access whether you prepaid or not.  I would make NO sense for cruise lines to let attendants have access to this information.

Also, when you buy a drink, it automatically tacks on a tip of 18%, whether you buy the package or not.  

Well, this is a spicy thread.

Under the "you do you" theory, I enjoy tipping a little extra, especially on my drink vouchers. Being generous to hard-working servers is a result of MY many years' hard work, including at every possible restaurant and bar job ever invented. 

Is it an extra perk that by Day 3 my double pour at the Schooner Bar is closer to a quadruple? That the last time the Dearly Beloved asked for a shot of Bailey's as a nightcap she ended up with about a third of the bottle? Sure... but I tip because I enjoy doing so, and because I remember how much an extra $1 would sometimes save my night... 

31 minutes ago, Wheeler825 said:

I'm going to need to see a source for your assertations here.  I haven't found any proof one way or the other that room attendants can see if you cancel tips or not, let alone there would be NO REASON for them to be able to access whether you prepaid or not.  I would make NO sense for cruise lines to let attendants have access to this information.

Also, when you buy a drink, it automatically tacks on a tip of 18%, whether you buy the package or not.  

Vouchers drinks (Diamond, D+, Pinnacle) do not include a gratuity, and more and more passengers are reaching those levels, which by extension reduces the gratuities bartenders get. A buddy of mine is on "Allure" right now and it's about 50/50 Diamond or higher. 

18 minutes ago, Riley said:

Vouchers drinks (Diamond, D+, Pinnacle) do not include a gratuity, and more and more passengers are reaching those levels, which by extension reduces the gratuities bartenders get. A buddy of mine is on "Allure" right now and it's about 50/50 Diamond or higher. 

Ill agree with you about tipping and vouchers.

1 hour ago, Wheeler825 said:

I was  told that the head servers get a list of everyone and whether or not they pre-paid gratuities or not. I do not know if this is fact..just going off a few past posts. 

3 hours ago, icf75 said:

Not sure if this is a 'culture' thing but I dont feel I should tip a bartender to get me a drink(especially if its just one drink). I certainly dont do this in the UK.  Is this the norm on the ship?

Americans tend to tip more than Europeans, I believe, from the few times I've been to different European countries with people who live there. When we ate out in Europe, we'd just leave a few dollar-equivalents rather than 15-20% of the bill as tends to be more the norm in the U.S. I know in Switzerland (where we visited my friends this past summer), wait staff is paid better up front so they don't rely on the tips as part of their income.  

1 hour ago, ScottD said:

I was  told that the head servers get a list of everyone and whether or not they pre-paid gratuities or not. I do not know if this is fact..just going off a few past posts. 

As much as I would like to believe this (So the servers could make their meals extra "Special") - There is no value to this list as people could go to GS at the end and have it removed.

4 hours ago, Matt said:

You can remove auto gratuity as a way to give gratuities out in cash. It's not a cost-savings mechanism.

Again, as I said several post back. Saying in the 3rd post down that this was to help save customers money was sarcasm. Because the original poster only seemed to bringing it up to cause trouble.

4 hours ago, Xaa said:

I don't think so, these people seem mostly fine to me.  Implying that they are lying is unfriendly at best.

I don't really think anyone is racked with guilt, but something motivated him to have disbelief that people would tip beyond the auto gratuity.  It comes from some point of view shaped by circumstances in life.  It is also only apparently about tipping that he believes these people are lying

I don't think.  Many people wait tables as a method to put themselves through college or when just starting out on their career path.  It's quite common.  I haven't waited tables in more than 30 years, but I certainly remember it and it has informed how I tip and view tipping.  Why would you think people here would make that up?

On this we agree.  I never told anyone to do anything with regard to tipping.  I stated in this thread what I do and was portrayed as a liar.  Very odd.

I have no more proof of who here wasn't in the service industry, then you do of who was. But I stand by a major level of online BS being as real here as on any other site.