Snorkel mask help for bearded men

TexanTwoStep

Good morning beard-wearers!

Looking for tips/tricks on how to get a proper seal on my mask without shaving my glorious beard/moustache.  Last year we snorkeled in Cozumel and water kept seeping into my mask and making my eyes burn hotter than the surface of the sun.

Any tips/tricks?  I thought about Vaseline or stuff that divers use to seal their masks, but not sure if it's allowed in Cozumel due to the regulations on sunscreen and stuff.

I have a beard also. I was able to use vaseline in Cozumel and other places where they regulate sunscreen. I've looked into wearing the full face mask but i am not sure they will alleviate the problem.

I know a guy who wears just the goggles on his eyes and holds onto the snorkel with his teeth. He swears it works but I am not sure.

10 hours ago, TomBryant said:

I have a beard also. I was able to use vaseline in Cozumel and other places where they regulate sunscreen. I've looked into wearing the full face mask but i am not sure they will alleviate the problem.

I know a guy who wears just the goggles on his eyes and holds onto the snorkel with his teeth. He swears it works but I am not sure.

That's actually a great idea!  I'll try that.  I have no problems with getting water in my nose, but that water stings the eyes!

Former dive instructor

A little trim under the nose and a properly fitted mask from a dive shop will solve your issues. Vaseline or Aquaphor around the bottom edge of the mask seal will also help if needed. Never try and snorkel with swim goggles, the unnatural feeling takes away from the enjoyment of the swim.

Guy with a huge ZZ top beard here... I bought one of those full face masks, the one with no mouth piece...you just slip a whole mask over your head. I had no leak issues at all.  this type: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=full+face+snorkel+mask&crid=3OKPTJ5PQVXWS&sprefix=full+face%2Caps%2C80&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_9

I have the same problem with my big ole bushy mustache not allowing a good seal on my mask.  You can try the solutions offered here...Some work and some may not.   I'm an old school diver who was taught to exhale through my nose and tilt the bottom of my mask out to drain the water.   I now use a mask with a purge valve and when the water gets too high, I just exhale through my nose and the water drains out the mask.  Go to your local dive shop as others have mentioned and get a mask with a purge valve.

On 2/10/2023 at 3:23 AM, ScottD said:

Guy with a huge ZZ top beard here... I bought one of those full face masks, the one with no mouth piece...you just slip a whole mask over your head. I had no leak issues at all.  this type: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=full+face+snorkel+mask&crid=3OKPTJ5PQVXWS&sprefix=full+face%2Caps%2C80&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_9

I'll check this out!  I've alwasy wanted to look like Bane anyway 😄 haha

batman costume GIF