A question about moderation.

SeaSomm

I am a new member and look forward to participating in discussions here. Every comment I make seems to require approval by a moderator, which can take up to a day or two. This prevents timely participation in discussions. Is this just protocol for every new member? When will I be able to post without having moderator approval? This seems like an overly paternalistic approach. Why not just let people post and reserve moderation for those who have a history of problematic behavior? I really enjoy the content here but would enjoy participating more if it were a more dynamic experience.

5 hours ago, Murmer said:

I don't think it is by time on the board...I have been part for at least 6 months and I still have to be approved.

Right but that was only your second post in those 6 months!  I'm not positive but I believe most forum software uses 10 posts as the threshold to turn off moderation.  Even if it is higher than that, the more you post, the more often the moderators will have to approve your posts, and the more often they see your name, the faster they can realize you aren't a spammer.  So the best option is to join in and post often.

On 2/4/2023 at 8:11 AM, AshleyDillo said:

We had an issue with spam bots, so @Matt turned on the auto moderation.  I think it is tied to amount of time since joining rather than number of posts. I've  manually taken you off moderation so you should be able to contribute freely now!

Thank you!

Please keep in mind that the moderators are volunteers.  We log in as often as possible and approve posts as quickly as we can.  I, personally, can't easily remove anyone from moderation when I'm approving posts using my mobile device, however, if I'm on my laptop I try to get them done as quickly as possible.

On 2/8/2023 at 11:29 PM, SpeedNoodles said:

Please keep in mind that the moderators are volunteers.  We log in as often as possible and approve posts as quickly as we can.  I, personally, can't easily remove anyone from moderation when I'm approving posts using my mobile device, however, if I'm on my laptop I try to get them done as quickly as possible.

Sport Soccer GIF by Real Madrid