Feedback Requested (not ranting) About Ordering 2 Entrees

morganpink2001

Hi guys! Just wondering if I can collect some general feedback from those who have cruised the new menus re: ordering 2 or more entrees in MDR. I am all about staying positive and enjoying the experience regardless of the new rules or menus. I absolutely can appreciate others who have not had great experiences or were left frustrated by the changes, but for this post I am most interested in objective feedback!

For those who ordered 2 entrees at MDR, can you share:

• Did your server allow you to ask for entrees to be brought together.
    • I imagine there will be different experiences here, which is why I am kinda doing this as a "poll" to get a general sense
  • I am especially curious in the example of wanting one main meal with a "side" of another meal (example, I want the tortellini from Royal night with a side of Lobster). My daughter will probably order off the kids meal but would LOVE a side of rice on nights that are serving rice on adult entrees.)
  • If not, how soon after your "first" entree was delivered was your second entree delivered? Are we talking 5-10 min, or 30 min, etc? 
    • I have seen people post that they "wont" bring out a second entree until you "finish" the first, which I just can't believe is completely true, especially if you explain to your waiter that you want to eat the foods together as one meal/entree. 
  • Are you allowed to ask for which entree you want to come first/second or is it up to the waitstaff to bring what is ready out first?
  • What has been your experience with appetizers...can you order a couple at once to be brought out together?

Thanks in advance!

I had done this on my Grandeur Jan 22-27th sailing.  It was a five night so cannot attest to the lobster. The first night I ordered two apps and one entree. They brought out one app then the other after I finished, then my entree. The portions were small so the second night I ordered one app and two entrees. They brought the first entree and then when I was close to done, they brought the other. The third night was Mexican night and I wanted to try a couple of apps and two entrees; apps all separate. But my waiter asked if I wanted the entrees together, so she brought them out within five minutes of each other. Since she was my dedicated server, she would bring my apps still separate but entrees together for remainder of the cruise. They do this to ensure the food is still hot, but you can ask for all of it to be brought together. 

1 hour ago, Ampurp85 said:

I had done this on my Grandeur Jan 22-27th sailing.  It was a five night so cannot attest to the lobster. The first night I ordered two apps and one entree. They brought out one app then the other after I finished, then my entree. The portions were small so the second night I ordered one app and two entrees. They brought the first entree and then when I was close to done, they brought the other. The third night was Mexican night and I wanted to try a couple of apps and two entrees; apps all separate. But my waiter asked if I wanted the entrees together, so she brought them out within five minutes of each other. Since she was my dedicated server, she would bring my apps still separate but entrees together for remainder of the cruise. They do this to ensure the food is still hot, but you can ask for all of it to be brought together. 

Only bringing out the next dish after the first is finished sounds like an easy way to prevent people from ordering way more food than they can eat. By night three, the waitstaff knew Ampurp85 could finish what they ordered so they were allowed more leniency with the policy.

No ordering two entrees at once on Adventure last week.  You could have all the apps you wanted, all the deserts,  you could have a plate of veggies on the side,  but you could NOT have two entrees at once. You had to finish and reorder. That being said the one entree and one app we sent back were replaced very quickly with different dishes. And in general they were very quick to bring anything additional, if we asked for extra veggies or salad. The one time I tried to get an extra protein on the side they could not do it.

In general off menu sides, leaving things off, and half portions completely confused them.

In the morning I ordered scrambled eggs and grits only and got bacon, potatoes and sausage. (Which were yummy) At lunch the same thing happened I ordered a salad with a steak as protein and they brought me a steak entree with fries and sauce. It was tasty too.Oh well!

I've only been on one cruise before, Celebrity in 2005, and they were much more open to extra entrees, custom orders and the like. When I was seasick for several days they made me a special bland meals.

I will say everything comes out FAST though. One night they forgot my husbands entree right before the waiters and chefs parade and even then they got him an entree in 10 minutes. Also we were at 8pm on a not too crowded cruise.

This is ridiculous. If in the WindJammer people can and will pile on their plate as much as they want. If I order two entrees in the MDR it's not because I even plan on finishing both. It's because one is more about trying something I'm not too sure about. A curiosity thing. And as far as waste goes. The second entree is already cooked and ready to go. They aren't gonna put it in Tupperware and reuse the next night if nobody orders all. 

I have never asked them to serve me multiple of a course at the same time, but any time I have ordered multiples they had my second plate at the server's station waiting for me to finish my first. Since all the dishes are plated separately in the galley I think it's as much a space at the table issue as it is old school proper etiquette. Your server is fetching stacks of plates with lids and bringing them back to their station to distribute for efficiency purposes. That's why you will often see them use an entire plate for a single side order...that's just easier for them to carry to dining room. It shouldn't be an issue to ask for both plates at the same time, but it's going to get crowded at the table when multiple people do this.

On 2/3/2023 at 5:48 PM, BennyandBo said:

This is ridiculous. If in the WindJammer people can and will pile on their plate as much as they want. If I order two entrees in the MDR it's not because I even plan on finishing both. It's because one is more about trying something I'm not too sure about. A curiosity thing. And as far as waste goes. The second entree is already cooked and ready to go. They aren't gonna put it in Tupperware and reuse the next night if nobody orders all. 

"They aren't gonna put it in Tupperware and reuse the next night if nobody orders all." That is kind of a good point, especially for the second seating. I wonder the logic then with making folks wait when they do request to have certain things out at same time, in example of building your own Surf & Turf meal. 

Thanks everyone for your feedback! I do not think we will be ordering 2 entrees often, but more so wouldn't want to wait too long if we wanted a separate protein or side from another meal to combine with the main entree (example, surf&turf, side of rice for my daughter...which I can't imagine they wouldn't be willing to accommodate at least the side rice!)

26 minutes ago, morganpink2001 said:

"They aren't gonna put it in Tupperware and reuse the next night if nobody orders all." That is kind of a good point, especially for the second seating. I wonder the logic then with making folks wait when they do request to have certain things out at same time, in example of building your own Surf & Turf meal. 

The self-created Surf and Turf, if they bring out both entrees at once, is the only time I'll consider Royal is encouraging people to spend money with their dining room policies as S&T is a nightly premium selection.

On 2/3/2023 at 6:48 PM, BennyandBo said:

You are right of course. What seems odd is you can order all the starters you want, soup, salad, shrimp cocktail, it's all good. But an extra main gets a sad face. I am suspecting it's more about the fact that the new menus are designed to be fast than food waste. Maybe. I will say everything comes out very fast all the way around. (Again 8 pm on a fairly uncrowded cruise may be a factor)

1 hour ago, morganpink2001 said:

Thanks everyone for your feedback! I do not think we will be ordering 2 entrees often, but more so wouldn't want to wait too long if we wanted a separate protein or side from another meal to combine with the main entree (example, surf&turf, side of rice for my daughter...which I can't imagine they wouldn't be willing to accommodate at least the side rice!)

Side rice should be fine, they were lightning fast with the side veggies. I did order a side protein at lunch and it came out as a full entree. (My main was just salad so perhaps it was an exception.) I did try ordering side protein the last night and was told not until I finished entree. The one might I didn't love my entree I just got an extra salad and was fine. For some reason most of the really bad stuff was ordered by my husband. (I have a pretty long thread if you are interested in what we ate each night.)

The difference in attitude from course to course is just odd. If they say we didn't love a dessert they had a new one out there in 12 seconds. But it was like they had to file a report for a failed entree. Again this was literally the first cruise with new menus on Adventure so I wonder if some of the logistics got over interpreted.

On 2/4/2023 at 8:25 AM, AshleyDillo said:

I have never asked them to serve me multiple of a course at the same time, but any time I have ordered multiples they had my second plate at the server's station waiting for me to finish my first. Since all the dishes are plated separately in the galley I think it's as much a space at the table issue as it is old school proper etiquette. Your server is fetching stacks of plates with lids and bringing them back to their station to distribute for efficiency purposes. That's why you will often see them use an entire plate for a single side order...that's just easier for them to carry to dining room. It shouldn't be an issue to ask for both plates at the same time, but it's going to get crowded at the table when multiple people do this.

Had a sharing table for 6 on my last cruise.  There was 3 of us all week long.  Plenty of room for extra plates.  It just was not done, until I suggested to the couple trying to double their entree, "ask for a shared plate so we can all try".  Magically it happened.  
It wouldn't be so bad but the first entree isnt even "hot"-maybe barely warm, so having a second entree sitting  in the wings awaiting you to finish your first barely warm plate is just gross.

We just came off the Oasis. On lobster night, we asked for the lobster and a steak. They brought out the lobster and said after we finished that, then they would bring out the steak. You can order all the appetizers you want. They will come out a little more quickly, but not necessarily at the same time.

3 hours ago, Safemike1 said:

We just came off the Oasis. On lobster night, we asked for the lobster and a steak. They brought out the lobster and said after we finished that, then they would bring out the steak. You can order all the appetizers you want. They will come out a little more quickly, but not necessarily at the same time.

When they tell you that, the response is "I know you want only ratings of 10 on your survey and I want to give them to you.  Please bring my steak out with the lobster..."

My experience...I'm usually solo and I tip both the waiter and assistant at each meal. Usually before I order. But that's just my thing. 

I don't know if there is a policy for the servers or not, but I pretty much get whatever I ask for...how much I want...and when I want it. The servers always check on how I'm enjoying my meal and always ask if I want more, or another item. I can't comment on the lobster/steak issue as I don't like lobster. Never ordered it!

I'm sure it's more difficult for them when they're serving more than one person, but a good server knows how to please their guests. Especially those with reasonable requests.

Good luck...and Bon Appetit!

So service my way as the paying customer, or bad review and no tip. I like it. Just cut straight to the punch. It's helpful to new server's. They learn the difference between how the employer says to do things vs what gets the tips and keeps the customers happy. That's what eventually makes great waiters. And ultimately is the line you must walk when dealing with customers. Lean to them, not some stupid training policy.

We just got off of Serenade of the Seas. We were on their first cruise with the new menus.

Someone in our party ordered two entrees one night and was told the same thing. The waiter said he could not bring them out together - that she would get the first and when she ate what she wanted of that, she would get the second.

He also made a point to explain that on lobster night, if someone did not want lobster, they could order it and another entree (brought out separately) and give their lobster to someone else at the table. But the funny thing was, he said the person who ordered it had to give it to the other diner - he could not physically serve 2 to the same person unless they paid for the second.

Currently on Enchantment for 2nd leg of B2B.....

We have advised guests who boarded this week that the protein portions of meals in dining room are small and to order 2 entrees or double protein portions of a single meal if they wanted a bigger meal.

For reference, we eat very low carb at home so we are used to larger protein portions.  We stopped asking for no potatoes, etc on the plate as it was confusing for several wait staff - we eat what we choose and leave the rest for the fishes.  Some staff eat low carb and recognize we do too based on our orders.

At lunch and nights he chooses a steak, my DH will order 2 steaks and asks they be stacked on same plate.

Heads up on British night - fish and chips - pieces of fish are small - DH ordered 3 pieces this week.

We know that the servers are replating 2 or 3 plates at their stations for us.  We can't help wasting the food but, per the staff, the chefs are saying 2 or 3 full dinners have to come out based on how much we order and eat.

Note for lobster night, I will always order a lobster even though I don't normally eat it.  DH will have 2 - after being served, don't pass plate until butter pitcher is offered - it can confuse new waiters.  If you sail with family or have nice table mates you may be able to partake in more than 1 tail if those who don't want to eat one go ahead and order one anyway.

Random thoughts:

- lobster night only time we were asked order for dishes to be served 

- still ok to order pasta entrees for appetizer

- on night there is a turkey dinner, regular white mashed potatoes can be swapped for sweet potato as listed on menu - we encouraged table mates to ask - this was not for us. 😉

- saw dinner waiter at breakfast and asked if it was possible to get a cheese plate as app at dinner - he checked and chef said no - so wandered thru Windjammer and brought my own one night.  Still think it is weird that no cheese plate appears on any menu.

Just our experiences - ymmv

Happy cruising everyone!

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/5/2023 at 10:47 AM, morganpink2001 said:

Just got out of MDR on Symphony of the Seas on "lobster night" and I ordered the steak and the lobster ... Our server indicated he could bring out one and the next or make it a "surf and turf" - I opted for the later so basically was the lobster tail and butter added to my plate with the steak.

Both the steak and lobster were really good, very happy with this meal 

PXL_20230224_010418111.jpg

16 hours ago, TheMaxRebo said:

Just got out of MDR on Symphony of the Seas on "lobster night" and I ordered the steak and the lobster ... Our server indicated he could bring out one and the next or make it a "surf and turf" - I opted for the later so basically was the lobster tail and butter added to my plate with the steak.

Three couples of us did that on the Serenade two weeks ago. No problem and I ate my wife's lobster tail since she doesn't like lobster.

29 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Great idea.  Hubby can have my steak, I can have his lobster (it’s not the bugs they used to serve right??)

I think so, as you see in the picture just above your message, it looks like a cold water one. I live in MA and I cannot taste the difference, Maybe because I don't have them very often (both kinds) I think I have had the warm ones more often the cold ones.

well, that was before Royal changed.  That was the only time, I didn't know better.  Of course there is a national restaurant chain that didn't make it here in NE. There was one in Pittsfield, MA, but it didn't last long.  When we go out to the Finger Lakes area of NY we do eat there, but not for the lobster, DS does like fish so he gets the Cajun Chicken, I usually get the trout, and DH probably gets shrimp.  When we do get to the shore is when I get my lobster

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/23/2023 at 8:00 PM, TheMaxRebo said:

That looks amazing...now I don't know if I want surf and turf or the lobster and pasta...decisions decisions! 

On 2/5/2023 at 12:17 PM, Suzanne Elise said:

Side rice should be fine, they were lightning fast with the side veggies. I did order a side protein at lunch and it came out as a full entree. (My main was just salad so perhaps it was an exception.) I did try ordering side protein the last night and was told not until I finished entree. The one might I didn't love my entree I just got an extra salad and was fine. For some reason most of the really bad stuff was ordered by my husband. (I have a pretty long thread if you are interested in what we ate each night.)

The difference in attitude from course to course is just odd. If they say we didn't love a dessert they had a new one out there in 12 seconds. But it was like they had to file a report for a failed entree. Again this was literally the first cruise with new menus on Adventure so I wonder if some of the logistics got over interpreted.

Do you have a link to the thread? Very interested about food menus, service, and the like 

I've been on two cruises very recently.  On Navigator, we shared a table for six.  Any one of us could order additional entrees without question.  We could order them as two complete meals, or we could order a complete meal with an extra entree without the side fixins.  On lobster night, I/we ordered lobster and steak, and some of our tablemates asked for them to be served simultaneously.  They were served together without issue.  I didn't care, so even though I did not ask for them to be served together, they were still delivered close together. 

The next cruise, on Symphony, there were only 3 of us at our table, all family.  I don't think any of us specified if we wanted our second entree served simultaneously, but again, the food came so close together, it didn't matter.  I will say, the lobster came first, on its own plate.  The steak came along before we could even get into the lobster, and without even a suggestion, our server shucked all our lobsters and slid both entrees and side fixins onto one plate.  And I've gotta say, our waiter and assistant waiter were absolutely wonderful.