2018 Cuba sailings

On 6/16/2017 at 9:00 AM, monorailmedic said:

It's interesting, when you read the 12 points that qualiy your travel under the general OFAC license, so many of them are incredibly ambiguous.  When I travel to new places I'm generally not going to sit on the beach (obivouly, this depends on the traveler, the destination, etc) - I'm going to meet the locals and learn about the place and their culture.  As such it would seem reasonable that my goals really were around education and support for the Cuban people on my last trip.  

Not arguing for or against, that it isn't a stretch for many.  I guess my real thoguht here is that, all politics aside (and my desires aside), making the 12 categories less ambigous is probably key to enforcement.

Look the cruise line is going to do as it pleases they don't operate under UNITED STATES Law ,they pick and choose what policy's they want to Obie by. As an American citizen at this point in time I would not go to Cuba, especially on a cruise line that is of foreign registery we are not popular in Cuba at this point in time. And if something happens you're on your own!

3 minutes ago, Chris besanson said:

Look if you want to go to Cuba take a flight and enjoy yourself skip the whole nightmare onboard the empress of the seas trust me.

We rather enjoyed Empress.  What was it you didn't like?

On 6/22/2017 at 3:36 PM, Matt said:

I could be wrong, but I thought everyone gets charged the $75 for a visa automatically.

You have the option.  You could apply for the visa on your own (seems there are better ways to save $25) or sign that you're not getting one as you intend to stay onboard.  You make this declaration at the port on embarkation day.

On 6/22/2017 at 8:24 AM, monctonguy said:

.....as they can continue to charge overinflated prices for trips to Cuba for Americans!

I would never ever pay what they are asking for Cuba cruises...

They'll charge what the market will bear.  Some of the sailings have been quite reasonable.  On our May sailing we paid a bit more than some other RCI sailings, but it came in at about $115/night (including taxes and such) for an inside.  Again, more than some other sailings, but not outrageous.  Demand will inflate price every time.  That in mind, as more ships go and those who have been wanting to go get to there, the supply will increase and the deman slow down - at some point we can expect to see lower prices, though not sure how much lower.

Demand is driven by people willing to pay it..if your willing to pay it then go ahead. I would never pay a penny extra to go to Cuba more than Mexico or Nassau or anywhere else south.

I realize its the forbidden that makes it exciting, but take it from someone who has been there many many times...I only go to Cuba cause its cheaper for us than Mexico or Bahamas.....its nothing different or special or worth more of your hard earned money IMHO.

But the travel companies realize that its a cash cow and will see just how gullible people are with their money. It is a business after all. They aren't offering these cruises out of the goodness of their heart so you can enrich your education and experience.

• 5 months later...