Lobster night -- other options in MDR?

JLMoran

I know the second formal night is typically lobster night, but do they also offer non-seafood options on the menu that night? Or is it only lobster for the entree?

Asking as my one daughter isn't a fan of lobster and my wife doesn't eat seafood of any sort. But I'm totally looking forward to that night and my younger daughter is, as well. I'd prefer not to split us up for dinner or have to forego that night altogether because I'm outvoted.

That said, if I can still get lobster that night at Chops or one of the other specialty restaurants, then I'd be OK with "relocating" my dinner. :10_wink:

I don't know about Chops but they do have other offerings in the MDR on lobster night.  You can always go down and ask what is being offered, depending on the ship there is an electronic menu outside of the MDR if you can't find someone.

Yes, they have a full menu, the lobster is just another entree offered on the formal night. I love seafood and fish but I'm really not a lobster fan, so there is usually a steak, chicken and pasta dish to choice from (And others). I don't remember your daughters age from past posting, but you can order anything (Within reason) that you want. I set next to a family last year that the son wouldn't eat anything other than a cheese burger or chicken strips and fries, the waiter got them whatever they asked for every night.

https://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/download-press-kit/7/

^ there's a link out to the current MDR menus. With the changes coming to the menus across the fleet, I have no idea how long these will remain valid. However, the menu you'd be looking for with the other options on Lobster night would be the "Jasmine" menu.

25 minutes ago, klaconqueso said:

https://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/download-press-kit/7/

^ there's a link out to the current MDR menus. With the changes coming to the menus across the fleet, I have no idea how long these will remain valid. However, the menu you'd be looking for with the other options on Lobster night would be the "Jasmine" menu.

Thanks, Kayla! That definitely helps, and now the family can see what's a "typical" menu on the ship for the sailing duration (at least until they change it :7_sweat_smile:).

Doc, I looked at sample compasses, but while they showed which night was formal night (I see night 7 is the second one on our Freedom itinerary), I didn't see a menu or anything for that day that would have answered the question. Did I miss something?

11 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Doc, I looked at sample compasses, but while they showed which night was formal night (I see night 7 is the second one on our Freedom itinerary), I didn't see a menu or anything for that day that would have answered the question. Did I miss something?

Each night the menus change besides about 5-6 options that stay the same each night. There will be plenty of options if you don't like lobster

3 hours ago, JLMoran said:

I was just posting the link for the compasses, nothing specific. You'll find plenty of other options beyond lobster. 

There are the handful of fixed menu options every night, steak, chicken, pasta, etc. and then the rotating menu will have 3-5 options in addition to the lobster plate. As a non-seafood person I have never had a problem finding an alternative while my son and mother compete in the lobster eating challenge.

11 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Something that I noticed - they only put the name of the menu on Oasis class itineraries, not on the Freedom and under class. You're not missing anything! I confused the hell out of myself on this before my cruise on Indy last year, and then realized it was an Oasis thing.

I think the standards that are on the menu every day are; Broiled Salmon, Grilled chicken breast, NY strip steak, or beef spaghetti bolognase.

You could also arrange with your server the night before to have something special like a cheeseburger or chicken fingers, or pizza if the kids/wife are picky.  Maybe even have something they served the night before (and enjoyed) prepared on the Lobster night.

I have always read that you should not be afraid to ask for something off menu. If they have the ingredients, they will be willing to make it for you. But it is probably best to give them a heads up, as early in the dinner as possible to accommodate your request.

19 minutes ago, fmanke said:

I have always read that you should not be afraid to ask for something off menu.

I have a very funny story about that.  Most have read it before but I will retell it.  My apologies to those who have already heard this story.

My husband loves escargot.  A number of years ago, suddenly, escargot mysteriously disappeared from the MDR menu.  Poof.  Gone.  Dan was disappointed and asked the waiter "where's the escargot ?".  The waiter responded (with a totally straight face !) that there was a world-wide shortage of escargot !  We both chuckled and said that was too bad and that Dan would have to do without his beloved escargot from now on.  BUT the waiter had an ace up his sleeve !  A few minutes later, here he comes out of the kitchen with - what else - a lovely plate of escargot !  He told Dan that while it was no longer on the menu and despite the world-wide shortage of the little slimy things (obviously, I am not a fan of snails) HE was able to make Dan's culinary dreams come true !  Dan was THRILLED.  He thanked the waiter and expressed his pleasure a number of times.

Perhaps Dan's overzealous joy was a mistake.  He proceeded to get a (unordered) plate of escargot at EVERY meal for the rest of the cruise.  We were on a Transatlantic cruise, so this was escargot for 12 straight nights.  Our little waiter was so happy to please his customer but honestly, Dan did hot have the heart to tell him to "stop with the escargot, already !!".  Dan ate each and every one of those buggars for the whole crossing. 

Not long after that, with the worldwide shortage apparently abated (perhaps they breed quickly ??), they reappeared on the MDR menus.  I don't think Dan has ordered them again more than a handful of times.  I guess that will teach him to order something OFF the menu !

On 5/8/2017 at 1:10 PM, klaconqueso said:

With the changes coming to the menus across the fleet, I have no idea how long these will remain valid. However, the menu you'd be looking for with the other options on Lobster night would be the "Jasmine" menu.

Does anyone know -- is there a timeline for the menu changes?  We sail in November....just curious if this is rolling out this year, or at some TBD time in the future.  Thanks!

5 hours ago, widallas said:

Does anyone know -- is there a timeline for the menu changes?  We sail in November....just curious if this is rolling out this year, or at some TBD time in the future.  Thanks!

I thought I read somewhere here, that they should be done in the next couple of months? I'm sure Matt has the answer.

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 9:50 AM, Matt said:

I was told "Second quarter 2017", which is what we're in now.  Remains to be seen if that's still the plan.

"Second Quarter" so that would mean that the menus we see on here now will be changed by the time the summer sailing comes around?

2 hours ago, Zoey00123 said:

"Second Quarter" so that would mean that the menus we see on here now will be changed by the time the summer sailing comes around?

I think the changes also vary by ship. We were on Rhapsody in April, and they were still using the "old" Giovanni's menu - much to my great joy, as there was a dish on there I really wanted to try that isn't on the new menu.

16 hours ago, Zoey00123 said:

Honestly, I have no idea what "second quarter" really means.  RC is in its second quarter now, but that goes for another 2 months or so.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Honestly, I have no idea what "second quarter" really means.  RC is in its second quarter now, but that goes for another 2 months or so.

"Sometime in the middle of the year, maybe."

On 5/10/2017 at 11:33 AM, FManke said:

I have always read that you should not be afraid to ask for something off menu. If they have the ingredients, they will be willing to make it for you. But it is probably best to give them a heads up, as early in the dinner as possible to accommodate your request.

I'm expecting if I order Hassenpfeffer, that I might see Yosemite Sam in a chef's hat and wielding a meat cleaver chasing Bugs Bunny around the ship!

2 hours ago, BillHoo said:

I'm expecting if I order Hassenpfeffer, that I might see Yosemite Sam in a chef's hat and wielding a meat cleaver chasing Bugs Bunny around the ship!

My guess is that if they served rabbit on board, you could get it. That's taking into account, they could catch Bugs.

So... what exactly are these menu changes?  Are they just changing the options (like all high-end restaurants do occasionally) or are they downgrading somehow?

For the person asking about lobster night...... every night has some "set" standards and also a variety of options (usually 6 or 7) that are special just to that night.  On lobster night, you will still get the complete variety of other options as well as the set standards.  I think the MDR options are really innovative and excellent.  I never eat the standards.

10 hours ago, cruise-y said:

So... what exactly are these menu changes?  Are they just changing the options (like all high-end restaurants do occasionally) or are they downgrading somehow?

Just a refresh of the MDR menu.  I had the new menu on Anthem of the Seas in March and I generally liked it.  The spaghetti bolognese was amazing!

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Just a refresh of the MDR menu.  I had the new menu on Anthem of the Seas in March and I generally liked it.  The spaghetti bolognese was amazing!

So has Anthem already received the MDR menu changes?

Hey Matt, thanks for being an admin and for always having really great answers to our questions.

I was last on RCCL in 2015 (Navigator) and loved the innovation of the MDR menus.  I always found something different and interesting to try, and there were usually 1 or 2 indigenous ingredients or dishes based on the ports we were visiting.   I looked at your sample Anthem menu (thanks!) and I'm a little concerned.  These selections seem to be a lot more traditional and not very adventuresome.  Maybe this was just the last night's fare?   I'm sailing Liberty in July and I hope the MDR menus are still going to have some innovation.  Can you weigh in?  (Or anyone else).  Thanks much!!

16 minutes ago, cruise-y said:

I looked at your sample Anthem menu (thanks!) and I'm a little concerned.  These selections seem to be a lot more traditional and not very adventuresome.  Maybe this was just the last night's fare?   I'm sailing Liberty in July and I hope the MDR menus are still going to have some innovation.  Can you weigh in?  (Or anyone else).  Thanks much!!

Obviously food is quite subjective, but I found a good mix on the Anthem menus.  I found some nights wanting to order everything, and one or two nights asking the waiter for double orders of spaghetti bolognese.

One thing to also remember is you can make special requests in MDR.  As an example, I ask waiter to bring us each night a serving of Indian curry.  I love the stuff and cannot get enough, so we always had that on top of the menu offerings.  You can make similar requests, and provided they have the ingredients, I have found the staff to be quite accommodating.

@Matt, I noticed in your photo of the menu the section marked "Selects", with the whole lobster, Chops Filet, and Surf & Turf options. Do they have those kinds of options every day of a cruise, and does it vary or always the same 3 things? I saw they all have a charge, unlike the regular starters and entrees, but it makes sense given the premium offerings.

Just thinking it could be a good way to get a meal on the same quality level as a specialty restaurant one night without having to book the whole family for one, if they weren't inclined to do that for some crazy, utterly incomprehensible reason.

14 hours ago, JLMoran said:

@Matt, I noticed in your photo of the menu the section marked "Selects", with the whole lobster, Chops Filet, and Surf & Turf options. Do they have those kinds of options every day of a cruise, and does it vary or always the same 3 things? I saw they all have a charge, unlike the regular starters and entrees, but it makes sense given the premium offerings.

It's available every night, and it never changes.