Insurance question

So, husb and I are leaving in just under a week for our cruise, and we got the trip insurance through RCL, but now I'm thinking I may want additional coverage. I've seen Allianz mentioned here, and was also considering looking into coverage through USAA (our everything-else insurer). 

Any recommendations or insights would be welcome! 

Don't know if it's relevant - but - If either of you have a pre-existing condition, as my husband does, an Allianz policy has to be purchased within 14 days of your first trip payment or deposit. From Allianz, just so you can note the full scope of their definition: A Pre-Existing Medical Condition is an injury, illness, or medical condition that, within the 120 days prior to and including the certificate purchase date: 1, Caused a person to seek medical examination, diagnosis, care, or treatment by a doctor; 2. Presented symptoms; or 3. Required a person to take medication prescribed by a doctor (unless the condition or symptoms are controlled by that prescription, and the prescription has not changed).

We never bought any trip insurance until we saw someone medevac'd from the pier at Labadee.  That's when the light bulb went off about how expensive the medical flight must have been

After that , we bought single trip plans through Allianz until last year, when we bought an annual plan.  We just renewed it for 2023.

We've filed for two claims with Allianz in the past two years.

First one was for a damaged suitcase when we cruised out of Nassau.  We received a reimbursement check about two weeks after we submitted the claim.

Second was for two hotel rooms, meals for four people, and an extra day's parking at our home airport when we had to stay the night in Dallas because our flight was delayed long enough that we would have missed our connection in DC.  We felt it was better to get a room in Dallas at 530 pm rather than try to find one in DC at 2 am.  I filed a claim immediately and we had a reimbursement check in less than ten days.

The process to file the claims was simple, and I did it all online.

20 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I believe that USAA no longer provides travel coverage.  Or maybe they no longer offer an annual policy.  I can’t remember exactly.  USAA is also our “everything” insurer but we ended up with Allianz as a second choice.  If you find out I am wrong, please post back. 

I never know they offered it at one time.  We use USAA for all of our insurance....well except for travel.

I just investigated.  When I click on the travel insurance link, it goes to a third party company via the USAA Perks program.  The company is Travel Insured International.

27 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I believe that USAA no longer provides travel coverage.  Or maybe they no longer offer an annual policy.  I can’t remember exactly.  USAA is also our “everything” insurer but we ended up with Allianz as a second choice.  If you find out I am wrong, please post back. 

I just purchased a one-time coverage, actually! Maybe they don't offer an annual policy anymore. 

I pretty much live out of a suitcase, so having travel medical insurance is not an option in my opinion. I've used it several times for minor illnesses or issues, but luckily (knock on wood) I haven't had to use it for major/evacuation purposes. 

I keep an annual policy through HTH Worldwide/GeoBlue. They have been pretty responsive and easy to work with when I needed them, whether it was an $80 visit to a doctor in Auckland (including meds) when I got conjunctivitis, or my $750 visit to a doctor in Marrakech when I broke a bone. I also make sure my policy includes evacuation coverage. 

13 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

That sounds familiar.  Maybe they didn't have the same policy we originally purchased.  I just can't recall why we made the switch from USAA to Allianz.

We've had good experiences with Allianz, but we'll definitely be comparison shopping next year.  Thank you for the head's up about USAA.

I always book through insuremytrip and then just pick what seems best. My biggest problem is that I never really know what to look for in a policy. I just found out that you should have an option in your medical to be transported to your home hospital, which makes sense, but I would have never thought of it and I already bought for our upcoming trip. I would love to see an article or thread breaking down exactly what coverage is helpful and what you should look for in a policy when you are buying.