Kids and food questions

SePa

Hi all,  I'm going on voyager of the seas. 

I have a child with ASD aged 6, and a 3 year old. What happens if we eat at the Main dining room but my children didn't eat properly or at all. Am I allowed to go to get something from the buffet for them after? Or can they bring food for kids, it will most likely be something like French fried. 

Also,  what dining/ snacking options are open in the late evenings again if kids decide they want to eat later. And again am I allowed to do this?

What food outlets within the included dining is open later x

You can visit the buffet whenever it is open regardless of having eaten elsewhere for that meal. No one is monitoring that.

The MDR kids menu should have French fries as an option - it has a burger that comes with fries so you can ask for those.

Late night complimentary options are limited to pizza and sandwiches, cookies, cakes and fruit from Cafe Promenade.

You can bring pre packaged food on if you want snacks for your kids to keep in your cabin or bring off ship with you so that you are assured of having something, but as said above, you can definitely go to any free food area at any time they are open & get what you want for anyone.  Kid's menu in the MDR has typical kid stuff, so he should be ok.  You can also go to windjammer anytime it is open & pack a plate of snacks to go - anything that can be saved & eaten later.  I bring plastic baggies for this - you can keep fruit, cheese, crackers, yogurt etc in your room. The "refrigerator" is more like a cooler, but it should keep stuff like that fine for a while.  You can also get dry cereal @ breakfast to keep to snack on. 

My daughter is on the spectrum too (the old Asperger's diagnosis). We had good luck with the kid's menu in the MDR on her first cruise when she was 10, and she even branched out and enjoyed a few things from the adult menus as well. We ate a lot of dinners at Windjammer on her second cruise just because it worked with our schedule better that time around. You could definitely go to both if nothing appealed to your kids at the MDR. The Windjammer is open to about 9pm I think - check the hours in the Cruise Compass. Cafe Promenade is on deck 5, and is open later than the Windjammer, but my kids only really like the desserts there. My kids will be on their 5th cruise in April and my daughter eats entirely from the adult menus now, but it would not be a problem for her to order from the kid's menu if she wanted.

The MDR kids menu includes a hamburger/cheeseburger, chicken fingers, grilled cheese, mac & cheese, spaghetti with marinara. Sides are a fruit salad, fries, or veggie sticks with ranch. Ice cream or cookies for dessert. If they have something plain like grilled chicken on the adult menu, you could (at least in the past) get that without any sauce or sauce on the side - that worked well for us too. We haven't been onboard since the new menus came out, but I am sure they would still accommodate this request. 

If I were you, I would make a point to go to the main dining room the early afternoon on the day you board. They will have someone there taking care of requests, and you could let them know your concerns and ask any questions.

Others have given good info already, but I just wanted to let you know if your child has trouble sitting in the MDR, just let the waiter know and they will get their food out first.  Our daughter's first cruise when she was 5 was rough (different diagnosis, similar issues some of which were severe at that time).  The waiter was excellent about making sure she and I got our food quickly, then would have my husband bring me the dessert back to the room when he and the other 3 kids were finished with their meals (I had no free hand to carry the dessert because...times were rough with her then).  While it wasn't the relaxing dinner I would have wanted, at least I got to eat a hot meal before whisking her back to the room.

Also, not food related...but if you do want to try Adventure Ocean they will give you a phone that works on the ship.  We let our daughter do it a couple times that cruise, and someone just stayed close with the phone waiting for the inevitable phone call.  They NEVER judged her or us, and were so compassionate and understanding.  We still get the phone when she goes to AO, but thankfully now are at a point where she is able to tell them something is wrong and they will call us to head it off ("these pants don't fit like I want them to!" - so thankful they are sensitive enough to know they should call us and not just ignore stuff like that).  

I would encourage early fixed dining for your family if you decide to eat in the MDR at all. The wait staff is fresh, you'll have the same wait staff for the whole cruise (I know you can get this with MTD too but is sometimes an extra step), you can get in early, get your food early and be done and out before it gets too busy and loud. We had a family sitting next to us on our last cruise who had two little ones (1-2 y.o. and a 3-4 y.o.) and they were always about halfway done with their meal when we arrived for our early dining. (FYI our schedule was 5:15pm and we were usually there on time or no later than 10 minutes after so they clearly got there early). It seemed like a really great arrangement for them. They were always done by 6pm when we were just getting our entrees. They'll also pack things up for you if you end up needing to leave before you're done eating, and the buffet is still open for a while if you need to take a second try at dinner.

On 1/29/2023 at 9:40 AM, SePa said:

Hi all,  I'm going on voyager of the seas. 

I have a child with ASD aged 6, and a 3 year old. What happens if we eat at the Main dining room but my children didn't eat properly or at all. Am I allowed to go to get something from the buffet for them after? Or can they bring food for kids, it will most likely be something like French fried. 

Also,  what dining/ snacking options are open in the late evenings again if kids decide they want to eat later. And again am I allowed to do this?

What food outlets within the included dining is open later x

1. As a father with experience similar to yours, good for you in asking questions!  Also, good questions!

2. There should be plenty, plenty, plenty of options that are available to you and your children.  You can eat whatever, pretty much whenever, and how much ever you and your children wish.  The kitchen/wait staff will likely try to accommodate to the best of their abilities.  For example, you want spaghetti but you are at Chops Grille, they should be able to accommodate.

3. My suggestion is to dine early and as often as possible.  I am not suggesting that you eat till you are bloated.  For example, if you eat at the MDR at 5pm, you will avoid crowds, and if the food wasn't satisfying enough, you can go to the Windjammer, Sorrentos, or even order room service.  Try, try and try, because the staff will also try, try, and try.  We LOVE RCCL and will never go back to the other cruise lines we have sailed.

20 hours ago, CruisingNewb said:

1. As a father with experience similar to yours, good for you in asking questions!  Also, good questions!

2. There should be plenty, plenty, plenty of options that are available to you and your children.  You can eat whatever, pretty much whenever, and how much ever you and your children wish.  The kitchen/wait staff will likely try to accommodate to the best of their abilities.  For example, you want spaghetti but you are at Chops Grille, they should be able to accommodate.

3. My suggestion is to dine early and as often as possible.  I am not suggesting that you eat till you are bloated.  For example, if you eat at the MDR at 5pm, you will avoid crowds, and if the food wasn't satisfying enough, you can go to the Windjammer, Sorrentos, or even order room service.  Try, try and try, because the staff will also try, try, and try.  We LOVE RCCL and will never go back to the other cruise lines we have sailed.

Thank you so much! This is perfect. I think I made a good decision with RC