NEVER been on a cruise before... what do I need to know

SePa

I'm going Aug 24....woo hoo to the Greek Isles on Voyager of the Seas. 

I have never been on a cruise before and it seems there is a lot I didn't know.  

I know about drinks package and dining times but that is it. 

SPAM me with all your tips advice must do and don't on cruises. Bonus if you've done the route I'm doing before....

I'm going with 2 adults and 2 kids aged 3 and 6...

When do I book things, do I need to book things? How do you get on and off the ship when we are at port, can we get on and off anytime?

Kids club... I'm confused as I. Heard you have to register???? Where and how???

What happens on the first day and the last??

Sorry, I have so many questions.... thanks in advance xx

I am not sure how tips work in the Greek Isles, but we always bring a stack of $1s and $5s when we sail the Caribbean. Its nice being able to step out of the Uber or cab and hand the porter a $5 and not worry about carrying the luggage. And we like to give our Cabin steward a little extra up front. 

9 hours ago, GatorCruiser said:

What you need to know , is that you’re going to have a blast and become a cruise addict. 

That happened to me. It took my wife 20 years to convince me to go on a cruise. There was no way that I could see myself having fun in the middle of the ocean. I now have 5 cruises since the end of 2018 (remember, covid took a big chunk out of my cruisability) under my belt and have 3 more scheduled. Woohoo.

Assume it is going to be scorching hot and have a plan for keeping everyone hydrated.  Pack refillable water bottles and load up before you step off the ship. (Note: you can't refill them directly from the Windjammer water dispensers, but you can use a plastic cup to add the ice and water in, or ask at the main dining room if you see a busser with a water jug). Pack a travel umbrella or two to protect against sun, and sun hats. I'm serious about the heat! 

5 hours ago, Riley said:

Assume it is going to be scorching hot and have a plan for keeping everyone hydrated.  Pack refillable water bottles and load up before you step off the ship.

And that's one often ignored perk of the drink package - bottled waters. They'll usually throw one to you for free, if you ask, when you order an alcoholic beverage using the package. It's a good way to load up on bottled waters for port days rather than having to worry about procuring them later, and is something people don't factor in enough when running the budget on the drink package.