Crystal block warning re:security on planes

I had a crystal block in my carry on as I suspected it would cause my bag to be pulled by TSA and it was.  The person I was meeting to trade blocks with had her bag pulled as well (different airports).  I didn’t want the block in my checked bag so I wound not have to worry about them pulling apart my bag.

on a side note: A box of Little Debbie brownies once caused my bag to be pulled by TSA.   Apparently anything dense causes issues. 

8 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

I had a crystal block in my carry on as I suspected it would cause my bag to be pulled by TSA and it was.  The person I was meeting to trade blocks with had her bag pulled as well (different airports).  I didn’t want the block in my checked bag so I wound not have to worry about them pulling apart my bag.

on a side note: A box of Little Debbie brownies once caused my bag to be pulled by TSA.   Apparently anything dense causes issues. 

I had a thick hardcover book get my carryon pulled once.

I had issues with the machines today. My brother has luggage that holds battery pack. I always put my portable fan in my carry-on. Never a problem, today it was. Ugh I had to open the luggage, which sucked because I put a bra on top. I had to put the fan in a separate bin and the luggage through again. It was fine but I don't want strangers seeing my bras......or my underwear lol. 

6 hours ago, BigKarl said:

Hmmm...   over 280 points and I have only received one block.  

Check with the Loyalty Ambassador on your next cruise. You get the block on the ship where you cross the point threshold, not the following cruise.

For a while they were offering the chance to ship the blocks to your home and they had a form in the room when you earned one to state your preference. 

56 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

You get the block on the ship where you cross the point threshold, not the following cruise.

I wonder how strict they are about this.  We will hit 560 on the last day of our 2-5 Grandeur cruise.  I already have 2 Grandeur blocks and really don’t care to get another 😬…but I would LOVE to get a SY block on our cruise the following week !  Here’s hoping the SY LA can’t count !  😂

My first 10 crystal blocks all involved flying to and from the cruise.  

I don't recall carrying the block in my backpack or packed in my luggage ever to be enough of an event that it stood out in my mind.  Having flown a lot for business. like hundreds of flights a year, TSA inspections happen.

As someone who carries a mess of cables to support my various cameras and other devices I've often had a TSA note in my checked luggage.  Every time I have packed my two cruise wine bottles in my checked bag to get to the port it has been inspected as evidenced by the TSA note in my checked luggage.  That's why there are TSA approved locks for luggage.

I have no problem with TSA flagging my carry on at the checkpoint.  It adds maybe 3 minutes to the process.  

On 1/28/2023 at 11:43 AM, WAAAYTOOO said:

I wonder how strict they are about this.  We will hit 560 on the last day of our 2-5 Grandeur cruise.  I already have 2 Grandeur blocks and really don’t care to get another 😬…but I would LOVE to get a SY block on our cruise the following week !  Here’s hoping the SY LA can’t count !  😂

I have benefited from an extra block when cruising S2S near a threshold.  Because the points don't post for a week or so the 2nd LA should see you are qualifying for a block if you actually qualified on the 1st cruise of a S2S.   

I don't go out of my way to scam the system but if a block appears on cruise 2 so be it.  

years and years ago, when my family lived in California for 4 years (rest of fam was back in NY), my aunt & uncle came to visit us. Since my uncle worked for American Airlines, they essentially got to fly free (this was back in the 70's), but flew standby. Since we missed a lot of the food we couldn't get in CA, my aunt decided to surprise my dad by bringing him a large chunk (round) of sharp provolone cheese.  This cheese has a very distinct odor, so my aunt wrapped it first in plastic wrap, then in foil & put it in her carry on.  As luck would have it, they couldn't get a non stop, & had to transfer planes either once or twice.  In each case, the x-ray machine saw this large metal ball in my aunt's bag, and of course, she had to take it out and unwrap it for each time through. When they got to our house, she threw it at Daddy and said, " Never again!!!".