UDP and getting reservations

Trippintoni

I have an 11:30 check in time and I also have UDP.  I am very concerned that by the time I board I will not be able to get reservations at my desired restaurants since I am not allowed to do it before hand.  Has anyone had any issues with this.  There are certain restaurants that I do NOT want to eat at.

• Matt changed the title to UDP and getting reservations

If you mean an 11:30AM boarding time, that's about as early as possible.  Remember the entire ship has to be emptied of passengers from the previous cruise.  You will never be forced to eat at a restaurant you don't like.  You may have to be flexible on what TIME you eat.  If your cruise would be ruined by eating at 7PM instead of 6:30PM (as an example), then the UDP may not be for you.

This is a technique we've used.  Recommend putting together a list with restaurant, day, time (make a couple copies).   As soon as you board, go to any of the specialty dining venues and look for the front person (mater'd), even the MDR matre'd can help and book them all.   Give the hard copy of your requests to the mater'd (it makes it much easier to type in and lock in the reservations).   Make your entertainment reservations on the app that way you can work dinner around those.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2023 at 5:28 PM, cruisellama said:

This is a technique we've used.  Recommend putting together a list with restaurant, day, time (make a couple copies).   As soon as you board, go to any of the specialty dining venues and look for the front person (mater'd), even the MDR matre'd can help and book them all.   Give the hard copy of your requests to the mater'd (it makes it much easier to type in and lock in the reservations).   Make your entertainment reservations on the app that way you can work dinner around those.

On 1/26/2023 at 5:00 PM, Atlantix2000 said:

If you mean an 11:30AM boarding time, that's about as early as possible.  Remember the entire ship has to be emptied of passengers from the previous cruise.  You will never be forced to eat at a restaurant you don't like.  You may have to be flexible on what TIME you eat.  If your cruise would be ruined by eating at 7PM instead of 6:30PM (as an example), then the UDP may not be for you.

I am dining alone and the high point of the cruise is seeing Mama Mia.  So I am flexible.

Thank you all so much.  I am dining alone so hopefully that may make it a bit easier.  I do want to try some of the new items in the MDR so I am reading each and every review,  good and bad.  I know food should not be so important, but to me it is.  The ports I have been to, I am not going to be competing in any belly flop contests.  For me, having an ocean view balcony, a place for a few martinis or champagne and good food is why I chose to cruise.  That and the 22 people I am traveling with, 11 of them children but I honestly can’t handle the chaos and crowds in the MDR on Allure.