Upgrading cabin Royal Up or Guest services

DellaStar

I called Royal to see if I could upgrade my cabin. I currently have an ultra spacious ocean view and wanted to upgrade to an Ultra spacious balcony. Unfortunately they didn’t have it available. They suggested I do Royal up or go to guest services on the first day of the cruise to try and get the upgrade. 
Royal up starts at $340 per person to bid. 
my question is should I just go ahead and try Royal up? And has anyone has a positive outcome upgrading on the first day of the cruise with guest services. 

Ask to place your name on a waitlist for the cabin category you wish to sail in. Then definitely bid on the Royal Up. I have been sailing Royal for only about 4 years and have heard Royal Up program does the upgrades. I have had friends try and I'm sure others will chime in the days of guest services are behind us, I believe. 

I just did this on another line, placed my name on a waitlist and I was actually called and secured the cabin I wanted ahead of time.  It was previously sold out. Good luck!

If you booked with a TA ask them to do it. If not, yes call Royal as soon as you are finished reading this and tell them you wish to be placed on a wait list for that cabin category. Hopefully the representative you get knows how to get things sorted. 

4 hours ago, DellaStar said:

I called Royal to see if I could upgrade my cabin. I currently have an ultra spacious ocean view and wanted to upgrade to an Ultra spacious balcony. Unfortunately they didn’t have it available. They suggested I do Royal up or go to guest services on the first day of the cruise to try and get the upgrade. 
Royal up starts at $340 per person to bid. 
my question is should I just go ahead and try Royal up? And has anyone has a positive outcome upgrading on the first day of the cruise with guest services. 

Be careful, an ultra spacious balcony might just mean a slightly larger balcony-not cabin.  Consider comparing the size of your cabin to the ultra spacious balcony.  You can do a mock booking for your ship, any date, to find the info in the “details link” for the room category type.