Nassau Failed Cruisers??

I think in general he is correct.  So many return guests don't leave the ship.  Why is that?  They are near the bottom in surveys just above Freeport.  That's doesn't say much about how Nassau is received by the cruising public.

If you are into drugs there is a beach you walk to be and you'll be offered a choice of drugs.  That's not a good look and a pretty poor family experience.

Royal is building their beach club next door to establish a place that can be something to do and somewhere to go because without it there is little point getting off the ship. 

Nassau needs to be honest with itself if it wants to change.  Griping about cruise ships guests not leaving the ship won't accomplish anything.  Someone needed to say it.  

I haven’t been off the ship in Nassau since 2011. Actually have only been back once since then in 2019. I choose itineraries without Nassau. That being said, I will be back come October on Allure when she debuts  her 3/4 nighters. I don’t plan on getting off in Nassau. If the new beach club was ready I’d try for that but I don’t it will be. 

I wont help pile it on, as I can't put my finger on it or be constructive, but...

It is not a port I care to re-visit.  If we end up there because it's part of a cruise that we otherwise chose, I'll still go on tour there.  But more than that, I specifically try to choose cruises that do NOT go there. 

On the other hand... I fully know and respect that a bunch of folks love Nassau.  That's quite okay too.😎

Not mentioned in the article is the tax revenue per every passenger and crew member who docks in Nassau. I’d guess it’s about $15 a head….multiply that that by 3.5M and you’ll discover why Nassau is unchanged for the 35 years I have been visiting there. 

My offer still stands of King Louie VIII on me at some Champaign Bar to @twangster (or anyone else on these boards) if they can explain where all of this money has gone year after year….after year…after year.

3 hours ago, twangster said:

I think in general he is correct.  So many return guests don't leave the ship.

But so many do, too. People on here and other sites are constantly stating how it's nice to stay on the ship in Nassau because it's quiet...meaning a lot of people are still leaving, and I imagine it's both first time and return passengers. 

2 hours ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

Is Nassau more of a short cruise destination? I have been on 13 Caribbean cruises and never been to Nassau. I don't purposely avoid it, it has just never been on an itinerary I have booked. 

I think it's both. It is an easy stop for a 3-4 day cruise, but I have been on 7-day Caribbean cruises that stopped there. 

4 hours ago, twangster said:

I think in general he is correct.  So many return guests don't leave the ship.  Why is that?  They are near the bottom in surveys just above Freeport.  That's doesn't say much about how Nassau is received by the cruising public.

If you are into drugs there is a beach you walk to be and you'll be offered a choice of drugs.  That's not a good look and a pretty poor family experience.

Royal is building their beach club next door to establish a place that can be something to do and somewhere to go because without it there is little point getting off the ship. 

Nassau needs to be honest with itself if it wants to change.  Griping about cruise ships guests not leaving the ship won't accomplish anything.  Someone needed to say it.  

Looking forward to the Royal Beach club coming to Fruition. 

Wish Nassau would build more resorts on the south side of the island. Looks beautiful off of that side. This is Albany resort on the south Side. It isn't open to rentals(only Purchase of homes/condo's) but looks beautiful.

image.thumb.png.0c6381b11c154703bf8a751344fd7363.png

We loved our stop at Nassau when there on Symphony and would do pearl island again in a heartbeat, but would agree it could be so much more. Atlantis really is quite expensive and only major attraction on the island.  

We do go there on Symphony again in '24, looking at Pearl Island again or trying out Margaritaville water attraction. 

5 hours ago, twangster said:

I agree, if I do get off the ship when in Nassau it's only for like  an hour or two. The pandemic and subsequent shut down of the cruise industry has hurt Nassau and many local  businesses and tour operators in Nassau have not  returned so there is even less to do while in port.  In my  opinion outside of renovating the actual port the Bahamian Government has done nothing to reinvigorate Nassau and make it a city people actually want to explore.  The last cruise my husband and I took in2022 we actually did get off and decided to walk around the city of Nassau nearly every 3 out of 5 businesses were closed and or boarded up. What has the local government or even the Bahamian National government done to entice people to come back and reopen their businesses. Cruise ships are back but I see no reason to get off the ship and spend my tourist dollars.  Sometimes you have to spend money to make money and outside of rebuilding the port, it doesn't seem like any money has been spent in reviving Nassau.

Then there is Paradise Island which in my opinion is overrated and over priced after visiting it a couple of times I'm like I'm over it.  I think Nassau has long leaned on the allure of Paradise Island to get people off cruise ships and now a lot of repeat cruisers find themselves staying onboard because Paradise Island is on the decline. 

I've only been on government-sponsored cruises to Nassau (Coast Guard, lol) and we obviously had fun when we got to pull in there, but I can definitely see the points of the article.  Atlantis is getting older and there's really not much to do in Nassau that you can't do at Coco Cay, Grand Bahama, or any other Caribbean island. 

If you've walked out of the port on your own and run into the swarm of locals looking to sell you something right at the gate, then you know what the port CEO is talking about.

If you can elbow your way past them and have something booked, it's probably going to be a good day, but compared to other Caribbean ports, it's a real hassle.

The only way I can see Nassau improving the experience is to fundamentally shift the approach vendors take to getting sales from tourists. Piling on with offers of everything from tours, to hair braiding, to drugs, to taxis is a terrible experience for just about everyone.  It sets a sour taste in a tourist's mouth.

Of course, I know why it happens....because it works.

To be fair, many ports suffer from bombarding guests at the gates, but I think it's compounded by the fact what's immediately surrounding the port area is equally disappointing. It's part of why I advocate having a tour booked instead of wandering around.

I don't know how the port can change the approach local vendors take to trying to sell to tourists. They can push the gates back all they want, but the vendors will be waiting outside the new perimeter.

On 1/24/2023 at 11:44 AM, twangster said:

Hell, my husband and I were offered "lines" a mere block from the cruise port just after we passed a police officer. There is definitely no shame by some in the area near the port.

On 1/28/2023 at 4:05 PM, Lexster said:

Hell, my husband and I were offered "lines" a mere block from the cruise port just after we passed a police officer. There is definitely no shame by some in the area near the port.

My husband to be and I were offered drugs on Bay Street in 1979.  Things haven't changed.     Bay Street sure has and whether it's from a shift from week long resort stays to daily cruise ships, economic downturns, weather, pandemics I don't know what, but it used to be a shopping street all the way from the British Colonial to the bridge and there's nothing left of it.   It was a nostalgia walk for us last year when we stopped at Nassau while on Liberty.   

I really hope they get their act together.  That port has so much potential. It has good bones but the government needs to increase security and incentivize new businesses.  They also need to be consistent enough in everything that they do as to not scare aware potential investment.  Fixing up the port facilities is a nice start.  But there needs to be a public/private partnership in taking the next step.

I still get off and go to a beach and I did the flight simulator when it was still there.  The tourist dollars are literally pulling up to their front door.  They just have to take advantage of it.

Another issue I have with Nassau is the people themselves. I don't expect them to kiss my a$$ but generally, I have found them to be very unpleasant or even rude. Last time I went ashore, I had one vendor very nicely yell about his excursion and when I said, "No thanks," he told me to go f**k myself. I'm sure there are nice people in Nassau but I think I'll just stay on the ship.

Ive been to Nassau twice. Its very pretty and if you have a tour its fine but if you want to save money and you dont mind staying onboard, I say skip it and enjoy the ship. 

Someone mentioned Freeport, thats a port visit that they need to remove from all sailings. there is nothing there ive never even bothered getting off the ship. 

Some small, limited feedback….

We were there yesterday. It was our first time back since November 2021.  

There has been a lot of physical growth in the port itself.  It was barely recognizable to us.  

There were four big cruise ships in port….us on Anthem, Disney Wish, and Carnival Legend and Liberty.  Interestingly enough, the USS Gravely was there as well  

We walked off with the sole purpose of getting a small gift to bring back to the person who watches our house while we’re gone.  No excursions or other plans.  

The immediate area was crowded but not horrible.  The market area is very tight to walk in, but vendors weren’t any more pushy than some I’ve experienced in Cozumel.  A simple “no thank you” was sufficient.  

The aroma of the port area reminded me of some third world countries I visited during my military time.  We could even smell it up on the top deck when we went back to the ship.  

There were tourist ambassadors wandering around who seemed to be very helpful to those who asked them questions.  

There was an obvious security/military presence, although I’m not sure how much of that had to do with the Gravely being tied up right there.  

The easiest, cheapest improvement Nassau could make is to put up signage pointing to the landmarks and points of interest. And to provide a city walking tour map on your way out of the port. We got frustrated because our map app wasn't working, and we couldn't track down a paper map and we had trouble finding anything at all. (partly our fault for not preparing properly - but we had planned to take an excursion, which was cancelled when they cancelled the stop at Nassau due to TS Nicole, and then added it back 2 days later with just a few hours in port - we did a quick map on our phones, but wasn't working later on). 

Simple things like signage directing tourists where you want them to go makes a big difference

3 hours ago, Momof4crazytocruise said:

The easiest, cheapest improvement Nassau could make is to put up signage pointing to the landmarks and points of interest. And to provide a city walking tour map on your way out of the port. We got frustrated because our map app wasn't working, and we couldn't track down a paper map and we had trouble finding anything at all. (partly our fault for not preparing properly - but we had planned to take an excursion, which was cancelled when they cancelled the stop at Nassau due to TS Nicole, and then added it back 2 days later with just a few hours in port - we did a quick map on our phones, but wasn't working later on). 

Simple things like signage directing tourists where you want them to go makes a big difference

Found this hack from somewhere, but if you have google maps on your phone or Google account, make sure you are over the area you want to save, but you simply go to the Circle icon on the right side of your Search here bar in google maps on your phone. Click it, select offline maps, Then, select your own map option at the top of the screen. When the map populates zoom to the extent over Nassau you want. You will then have the map to use on you phone when in port.

Oh gosh, poor Nassau.  I have actually been there so many times I have lost count, and I have never stayed on the ship.  I do have to say I have not been there since Covid, so I am not sure how bad it has become.

What have I done?  Island bus tours, Atlantis visits a few time, catamaran snorkeling a few times, husband has gone scuba diving, resort for the day beach hotel, and so forth, BUT Nassau was always known as one of the best shopping ports.  They used to give you a coupon book and you would have to go to store to store and show the coupon, and they would give you a free little trinket gift.  I always felt extremely safe and comfortable walking all around by myself.  Yes, I went to the straw market, but that was not really my thing, although I have bought a few small items.  We also used to enjoy eating lunch in local restaurants there.

I always liked Nassau-- I found it busy and vibrant, and much superior to Freeport.  I think the port has a lot of potential to improve, but so do many other places in the Caribbean.  I never feel that going to a ship's private island is really a true representation of seeing the culture or the people of the Caribbean--it is just a hidden away beach experience.  I hope Nassau can survive its perhaps undeserved  current negative reputation as a port of call, and return to the glory days when people were quite eager to visit!

• 5 months later...
30 minutes ago, teddy said:

I’m amazed at how much Nassau has changed in two years. 

Our first cruise included Nassau. I'll say it certainly is not like the slick promotion photos and brochures. Then again, I worked my entire 25 years for the fire department that provided fire/EMS protection 'around the worlds' in Central Florida; most all my station assignments in the southwest part of the county. That area has changed over time and not for the better...........

I just received a notice that the Bahamas port tax is going up $13/per per cruiser. So a nice cool $50k(ish) per ship they collect now!!!

I guess WE are the ones going to pay for all those updates, even though I would be just as happy staying on the ship most times when in Nassau.

Anyone else receive that email from Royal today?

On 7/26/2023 at 4:29 PM, Geezer Of The Seas said:

Our first cruise included Nassau. I'll say it certainly is not like the slick promotion photos and brochures. Then again, I worked my entire 25 years for the fire department that provided fire/EMS protection 'around the worlds' in Central Florida; most all my station assignments in the southwest part of the county. That area has changed over time and not for the better...........

We went to Nassau for the first time in September 2021 when we went on Adventure.   We were most recently there back in February of this year.  Even in that short timeframe, it’s changed. 

After our September ‘21 sailing out of Nassau, we went back twice in November of that year on Freedom (out of Miami)and stayed on the ship both times. 

On 7/27/2023 at 4:50 PM, Geezer Of The Seas said:

Got it a week ago for January '24 5 day on Mariner. The port tax only increased $5. Size matters (the ship, that is 🤪)?

Nope...we are on Freedom...same class....so that doesn't explain why my charge is almost triple.

its ok....i am just waiting for the cruise industry(and the economy in general) to crash soon and all these insane greedy outrageous prices wont be a issue. Its coming....later 24 or early 2025.

When a inside room on a new cruise ship could feed a family for a year....you know things cant keep going at that pace.

57 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Nope...we are on Freedom...same class....so that doesn't explain why my charge is almost triple.

its ok....i am just waiting for the cruise industry(and the economy in general) to crash soon and all these insane greedy outrageous prices wont be a issue. Its coming....later 24 or early 2025.

When a inside room on a new cruise ship could feed a family for a year....you know things cant keep going at that pace.

How many Bahama ports does the ship stop at?

I wish they would charge if you only got off the ship. So in the case of Nassau if you didn't have your seapass scanned you wouldn't be charge, but if you got off and then forgot something and had to go back on and get off again you'd be charged again, so ????