CocoCay and Nassau Recs for 2 different people

chiboo9

So my husband and I unfortunately have different views when it comes to a vacation. He's all about being active and being out and about checking out new places, while I can lay down on a mat or chair on the beach all day long and I'd be the happiest person alive. What's a good compromise for both Coco Cay and Nassau that we can both somehow enjoy? How would you split the day/s up and what excursions would you recommend? We're both in good health so we have no limits as far as active excursions go. We're in each port from 8am - 5pm. I should note that I've read up quite a bit on Atlantis (Nassau) and I don't think we'd be interested in that at all, given the short time frame we're in port. It's our first cruise and we want to take advantage of what ports have to offer. We also love trying out new foods, if that helps. TIA!

6 minutes ago, chiboo9 said:

So my husband and I unfortunately have different views when it comes to a vacation. He's all about being active and being out and about checking out new places, while I can lay down on a mat or chair on the beach all day long and I'd be the happiest person alive. What's a good compromise for both Coco Cay and Nassau that we can both somehow enjoy? How would you split the day/s up and what excursions would you recommend? We're both in good health so we have no limits as far as active excursions go. We're in each port from 8am - 5pm. I should note that I've read up quite a bit on Atlantis (Nassau) and I don't think we'd be interested in that at all, given the short time frame we're in port. It's our first cruise and we want to take advantage of what ports have to offer. We also love trying out new foods, if that helps. TIA!

If you're on an Oasis class ship, stay on board in Nassau and enjoy the ship! There will be plenty for your husband to check out while you are lounging.   Haven't been to Coco Cay, so I can't say anything about it. 

3 minutes ago, rjac said:

If you're on an Oasis class ship, stay on board in Nassau and enjoy the ship! There will be plenty for your husband to check out while you are lounging.   Haven't been to Coco Cay, so I can't say anything about it. 

We're on Enchantment. I've never been to the Bahamas so would really like to explore it even just for a bit myself.

Just got off the Enchantment.  At Coco Cay, he can rent a jet ski and/or do snorkeling while you sit at the beach.  There's a large snorkel beach area there and one can do that w/o signing up for an excursion.  You'd have to bring your own gear and rent a life vest or rent the gear from RCI (a booth on the island).   At Nassau, we followed a Frommer's walking tour which should take about 2 hours.  

3 minutes ago, mbk999 said:

Just got off the Enchantment.  At Coco Cay, he can rent a jet ski and/or do snorkeling while you sit at the beach.  There's a large snorkel beach area there and one can do that w/o signing up for an excursion.  You'd have to bring your own gear and rent a life vest or rent the gear from RCI (a booth on the island).   At Nassau, we followed a Frommer's walking tour which should take about 2 hours.  

Cool, thanks! How much was it to rent the snorkel gear from RCI? What'd you do at Coco Cay?

I think it was $20 for partial (flippers and life vest) and either $27 or $37 for everything.   I just rented the partial set-up (I had a full face snorkel with me) and I did the snorkeling beach  Since I tried out snorkeling for the first time and the wind was blowing pretty good, I'm not a good judge to rate the snorkeling.  There's a sunken boat and plane to explore out there.    Other than that we sat on the beach and enjoyed the near perfect weather.   On a previous trip, my daughter/nephew/I did the aqua park and water slide.  More a kid/teenager thing.  Hope your weather is as good as ours was.  Breezy but very sunny.

There's plenty of other excursions for Nassau (dolphin swim, snorkeling etc), we just choose to do our own thing and hang out on the ship while it was less crowded.  

8 hours ago, mbk999 said:

I think it was $20 for partial (flippers and life vest) and either $27 or $37 for everything.   I just rented the partial set-up (I had a full face snorkel with me) and I did the snorkeling beach  Since I tried out snorkeling for the first time and the wind was blowing pretty good, I'm not a good judge to rate the snorkeling.  There's a sunken boat and plane to explore out there.    Other than that we sat on the beach and enjoyed the near perfect weather.   On a previous trip, my daughter/nephew/I did the aqua park and water slide.  More a kid/teenager thing.  Hope your weather is as good as ours was.  Breezy but very sunny.

There's plenty of other excursions for Nassau (dolphin swim, snorkeling etc), we just choose to do our own thing and hang out on the ship while it was less crowded.  

Thanks for the info!

Guest toodle68

If you plan to take several such trips, I would buy and take your own snorkel. The one they provide is ok, but the ones you can get on Amazon as so much better.

For any trip, we always plan at least some time just laying around the beach and active most other times.  For our Nassau and Cococay trip this month we are doing the walking food tour and sunset cruise in Nassau.. and in cococay,  wave runner, floating mat and lazing on the beach.  

Nassau: Snorkeling.  Chocolate factory.  A friend of mine rented a scooter/moped and rode all over the island.

Coco Cay:  First time we did the water park, and I practiced my snorkeling for Nassau.  Second time we did some snorkeling, then I went Geocaching while my wife and her friends tanned.  I loved hiking to the far end of the island.

Get a bungalow at Coco Cay. He can snorkel, watersports, explore, etc. a mere 25-30 feet while you're taking a major catnap inside the comfort of the bungalow. It was a great value as far as we were concerned, we also just took our first cruise on the same route. You get 2 floating mats, cooler full of water, lunch delivered and bar right behind the line of bungalows.

• 2 weeks later...

On Coco Cay I did the jet ski "tour" last Thanksgiving and I plan to do it again for this year as well. Just to let you now it is not so much a "tour" as it is a how-fast-can-you-ride-a-jet-ski thrill ride. There were about ten jet ski's and the tour guide asked up front during instruction time in the hut "who has the need for speed". They line you up in the water by your need and they basically blast off. I thought that there would be a little bit more of a tour where they take you around the island and point out interesting facts or something.

Flying across the ultra blue water I thought was pretty amazing myself.

I would recommend a Jet Ski adventure if available. There's nothing like Jets Skis in the Bahamas, it's an action packed adventure and the water is crystal clear. When we did ours you could look down and see fish and sting rays. It was magical! Plus you'll get to see some prettier parts of the island away from the port. So much fun! Would 100% do it again! 

• 5 months later...
On 5/4/2017 at 1:50 PM, godukes_2017 said:

Get a bungalow at Coco Cay. He can snorkel, watersports, explore, etc. a mere 25-30 feet while you're taking a major catnap inside the comfort of the bungalow. It was a great value as far as we were concerned, we also just took our first cruise on the same route. You get 2 floating mats, cooler full of water, lunch delivered and bar right behind the line of bungalows.

Alcoholic drinks are not included, though, are they?

• 2 weeks later...