Changes to carry-on wine policy?

Maggie M

I've always brought my two bottles of wine on board and left it in my porter/checked luggage to be delivered to my stateroom later. However, in our most recent cruise e-docs (see screenshot below), it states that it should be carried on with you versus checked or you will have to go pick it up from security. Did this policy change?  Has anyone traveled recently run into any issues with leaving the wine in their porter carried luggage? It does say "if possible" - I'd just prefer not to have to tote more than necessary around before our rooms are ready. 

Thanks!

image.png.80314be07b634d5cd5d4161a014402d9.png

While not exactly "recent" I can say that we sent our wine and snacks through with the porters in 2021 and there was no issue. Our bags arrived on time and were not searched or anything. And I did recall seeing that policy in the edocs for that  cruise after the fact. I think the policy is there as more of a precaution than an issue. If something happens in the rough handling of the baggage to break a bottle or glasses or burst cans, royal wouldn't want to be held liable for the damage to one or more suitcases and items.

On our last cruise, I made sure to use a backpack to carry on the items since I knew they'd be heavy and it was the right choice, so that's what I'd recommend (I pack a backpack for excursions anyway).

The Alcohol Policy you’ve posted also references non-alcoholic beverages and says guests are not allowed to bring them onboard for personal consumption. This is our first RC cruise and from looking at their website I thought we could bring on twelve 17oz. bottles/cans/cartons of non-alcoholic beverages. Is this not allowed? 

14 minutes ago, Sarastep said:

The Alcohol Policy you’ve posted also references non-alcoholic beverages and says guests are not allowed to bring them onboard for personal consumption. This is our first RC cruise and from looking at their website I thought we could bring on twelve 17oz. bottles/cans/cartons of non-alcoholic beverages. Is this not allowed? 

You can bring up to 12 cans/bottles per cabin. They never removed the language prohibiting it from the cruise documents when they made the change years ago to allow it.

We had the Key on our last sailing and when bringing on our wine, the bottles were barely looked at. The screener just kind of looked at the tops of the bottles while they were still in the carry-on bag.  Not sure if this was normal or not. 2 bottles don't last very long, especially on a 7-day voyage.

They don't really have time or the inclination to scan checked luggage for bottles. They are mostly interested in weapons and prohibited electrical appliances.  A guy we cruise with always brings a full bottle of Crown Royal in his luggage. Never been tagged, caught. YMMV as every cruise line, ship, port is different.  Having said that my wife makes sure we carry on our 2 bottles of wine.

On 1/17/2023 at 10:36 PM, Sarastep said:

That's allowed. Listed under the food/bev policy.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/food-drink-onboard-policy