Oasis vs Voyager in Europe

I'm looking at 2024 options in Europe, would like to do a Rome to Barcelona (or vice versa) but would do a Rome R/T as we'd like to add 3-7 days on each end (Rome is priority #1, Barcelona #2). The only options are Voyager and Oasis, Oasis does the R/T, Voyager does the one way. Would love to hear from someone who has done one of them. Here's the conundrum, Voyager is older and smaller with fewer dining options, Oasis is bigger and newer with many options. Here's who we are and what we value, we are suites only, GS and above and dislike the buffet and most nights in the MDR (especially the new menu), having the UDP with options and coastal kitchen access is a plus  (oasis wins big for dining outside the MDR and Windjammer). Prices for for a GS is about 4.5k-5k on Voyager for a GS and 6k for an OS. On Oasis it's about 6.5k for a GS and 9k for an OS. There is a port every day but one and they are long port days, 10-13 hours a day, meaning many meals will be on land in these different countries. So Voyager wins on price and itinerary, Oasis wins on ship, dining and things to do. We are mid 50's, not bringing kids or grand kids on this one. I've been pricing Viking and Oceania and others as Oasis starts to get into their price range for their regular balcony but have many inclusives. Just struggling with the cost benefit analysis on the most port intensive cruise we've ever been on vs most other cruises where we have a few sea days and the ship matters more. RCL is smart by giving the older ship the better itinerary and longer stops to tie me in knots, we also plan on going in May or September to avoid the crowds going during school breaks, any advice on that is welcome as well.

Is this your first cruise in the Med? If so, I would do Voyager -- spend the savings on great shore excursions (Private Journeys or 3rd party or whatever). When we were in the Med we made sure we ate on shore at lunch as much as we could, so dining on the ship was less important. We just weren't much hungry at the end of the day 🙂 

Like you we sail mostly in suites, but on the port-intensive trips we often just do a JS, especially with our Diamond drinks. There just isn't time for the suite/concierge club most of the days.

Mrs Fan and I were on the VOTS last October and while it was nice, the ship is most definitely a little "long in the tooth".  But as you stated, there are some cost and itinerary advantages with the VOTS. We are not "Loyal to Royal" (although we have another trip in June on QOTS to Alaska). We are doing a trip to Norway out of Amsterdam with HAL in August this coming year. The HAL packaged smoked the other lines with all the added stuff/inclusives. Drinks package, pre-paid gratuities, OBC, excursion credit, 1 night specialty dining and more. I'm more of a cost/benefit guy versus brand loyalty and the HAL sailing was hands down the best bang for the buck for going to see the Norway Fjords (a bucket list trip). 

We did an 8-night "Italy & Adriatic" cruise (out of Rome, Venice, Naples, Croatia, Montenegro, docking in Barcelona) about 5 years ago now - what an amazing time we had! We were on Rhapsody which is even smaller than Voyager but we still had a great trip because of all the awesome ports. 

We are only partial to Rhapsody because we've taken her to Australia and Alaska as well so we end up seeing the same staff over the years if they renew their contracts!

We went in late October/early November and the weather was fairly pleasant - light sweaters were sufficient. Also less crowds and I don't remember gobs of children either. I used to live in Barcelona so it was nice to be back there for a visit - it's a wonderful city. 

I'm sure you'll make the best decision for your family! Enjoy! 

I'd compare itineraries.  We were on Vision recently because the ship went to ports I've never visited.   Med cruises involve a lot of sightseeing, as noted, so when you return to the ship you just want to clean up and enjoy some relaxing entertainment.  I wouldn't have the energy for ziplining, etc. on an Oasis-class vessel.

I agree in that the mediterannean sailings are port intensive and exhausting.  I did my sailing on Celebrity in summer (friends arranged it I would have picked your months !) There was a ton of walking, bus riding etc.  Bring neck pillows for the bus rides so yu can cat nap if needed (hard to choose between watching scenery or a nap, but sometimes nature just takes it course).  
I can't necessarily speak to the ships.  Just got oI ff a smaller ship (Grandeur) and the food was FABULOUS compated to Oasis and Anthem. (all were the old menus)
I didn't fly across the Atlantic to have sea days, I wanted to see everything I could, with the mindset that I might never be back.

We debated this exact same thing a few months ago. We picked Voyager for July 2024 for several reasons:

1. Cheaper. Europe is going to be expensive. Would rather spend the extra money on excursions, pre/post hotel stay, flights, etc. 

2. The Barcelona-Rome is appealing to us. Best of both worlds. We will do a few days pre-cruise in Barcelona and a few days post cruise in Rome. 

3. Both ships are port heavy. Our past experience with the Med, we were beat by the end of the day. No point spending extra for Oasis if we just need a place to eat and sleep at the end of the day. Would likely be too tired for shows or anything else. 

4. Voyager in July 2024 had a slightly better itinerary. We have never been to Cinque Terre. It’s a bucket list port for us. That itinerary allows us the opportunity. Oasis does not. 

5. Last one, don’t laugh. Voyager won hands down because that takes away the temptation to book star class. 😁

Wow, it seems unanimous, I cannot tell you how much this has put my mind at ease for going against what we normally do and this will be our first med cruise. Each of the 7 responses taught me something or affirmed my perceptions with real experiences. We are not blindly loyal but we are diamond so that is a consideration, in fact I'm itching to try celebrity and some other upscale lines as well as some luxury lines but it doesn't seem to make sense in the Med where our time on the ship will be minimal compared to all our other cruises (but I will price out HAL FSU fan). I've also been warned to not take MSC or Costa for many reasons even though they dominate the Med and are the cheapest. The only thing similar to these 8 am to 8 pm ports or longer on all days but one is a river cruise so I needed to wrap my head around the floating hotel room and not the floating resort I'm used to cruising on. I thank each of you for the sage advice!

As a European, I would absolutely agree with previous posters. Why pay extra for unneeded bells and whistles that you're not going to have the time or energy to use, especially when you're travelling so far to see the PORTS.

When we book Oasis class in the Med, it's because we're booking for the SHIP, rather than ports we've been to multiple times or can visit easily on a short break. Pretty much the same way many of you in the US do when you do a Caribbean sailing.

And for what it's worth, we have always enjoyed our sailings on Voyager class ships, which we feel are the perfect size for us.

14 hours ago, Temeculaguy said:

I cannot tell you how much this has put my mind at ease for going against what we normally do and this will be our first med cruise

Our first Med cruise was back in 2005 on Brilliance. It was a 12 nighter. Very port intensive. One of my favourite vacations of all time. I can barely tell you anything about Brilliance. That is how tired we were from all the port days.