Utopia Of the Seas

3 hours ago, Lexster said:

Very little. Matt's mentioned it before, but it's very unlikely RC will be talking about Utopia at least until Icon launches. No reason to lose out on hype by talking about both at once.

Yeah that is what I was thinking too. I know Matt has mentioned it right when it was announced but was thinking there would be spy picks floating out there per usual and i haven't seen any.

3 hours ago, Maggie M said:

Good point! I haven't heard anything. These ships are getting too big IMO...

I love the Big ships for all of the Features. after these next two we have booked we will be going to Mariner, Indy, or Freedom and doing the suite route to get up to Diamond cheaper with the Suites on those. Suite on those with 2X points is the same as a balcony on Oasis or Quantum class. We will hit diamond on our 3rd cruise.

2 hours ago, Midwest Cruiser said:

Yeah that is what I was thinking too. I know Matt has mentioned it right when it was announced but was thinking there would be spy picks floating out there per usual and i haven't seen any.

I love the Big ships for all of the Features. after these next two we have booked we will be going to Mariner, Indy, or Freedom and doing the suite route to get up to Diamond cheaper with the Suites on those. Suite on those with 2X points is the same as a balcony on Oasis or Quantum class. We will hit diamond on our 3rd cruise.

There are “spy” pics out there. There’s a Utopia Facebook group. 

9E453F81-BAB2-4A1D-96C3-477D7748D728.png

I don't think there is much to talk about when it comes to Utopia.  Oasis Class is my favorite class of ship (I just booked 2 days ago a last minute cruise in February on Symphony), so I'm not throwing shade but she will be the 6th Oasis Class ship to set sail.  I'm not sure there is anymore groundbreaking Royal can do with Oasis Class.  

While there have been some minor variations when first launched between Oasis/Allure, and Harmony, then Harmony and Symphony, then Symphony and Wonder.  I think Utopia will in many ways resemble Wonder it may or may not have more suites depending on how crowed Wonders suite deck gets. My one and so far only cruise on Wonder last year the suite deck didn't feel crowed at all.  Royal may or they may not want to add a few more suites on Utopia.

Also in my opinion when the time comes where Chinese market has rebounded and can support an Oasis Class ship I think either Wonder or Utopia will ultimately end up homeporting in China for the duration of its lifespan in Royals fleet.

2 hours ago, Jill said:

I would think if any oasis class goes to China it would be Wonder. That’s what she was built for. Also why I’ve got my second cruise on Wonder booked. Catch her while you can! 

The fewer number of suites also is a minus for US sailings. We obviously like our suites. 

China?  With all the new/media/hype on China, I beg to think not

Wonder is confirmed until at least Apr 2025 out of Port Canaveral so even if it was still destined for China it won't be until after that, and then what to do with Utopia in 2024/25? I would therefore guess that China/Asia be best bet at this stage for Utopia, could also be homeported out of Singapore for some of the time as well. Will be interesting to see.

On 1/14/2023 at 6:05 PM, Shanenz84 said:

Wonder is confirmed until at least Apr 2025 out of Port Canaveral so even if it was still destined for China it won't be until after that, and then what to do with Utopia in 2024/25? I would therefore guess that China/Asia be best bet at this stage for Utopia, could also be homeported out of Singapore for some of the time as well. Will be interesting to see.

I honestly can't see Royal choosing anything out of China until they can prove that they won't lock down on a whim and collapse a whole itinerary of bookings and revenue. Especially when all cruise lines are digging themselves out of the BS they had to go through for almost 2 years. (I personally don't think Royal goes back to China for a very long time. If they are securing bookings and running 90-100% capacity with all the homeports now, I don't know why you risk it.) 

Sadly I could Royal and others pulling back slightly on Australian/ New Zealand Cruises due to the incredibly strict Environmental policies of Bio-Fouling.

18 minutes ago, Midwest Cruiser said:

I honestly can't see Royal choosing anything out of China until they can prove that they won't lock down on a whim and collapse a whole itinerary of bookings and revenue. Especially when all cruise lines are digging themselves out of the BS they had to go through for almost 2 years. 

Sadly I could Royal and others pulling back slightly on Australian/ New Zealand Cruises due to the incredibly strict Environmental policies of Bio-Fouling.

Last year a Celebrity ship had to cancel several Alaska cruises to clean the hull.  I don't see any signs of pulling out of Alaska anytime soon.  

14 minutes ago, twangster said:

Last year a Celebrity ship had to cancel several Alaska cruises to clean the hull.  I don't see any signs of pulling out of Alaska anytime soon.  

Didn't see anything about that, thanks. 

I just don't see China happening for a long time. Just too much uncertainty yet. 

56 minutes ago, Shanenz84 said:

So lets say if China is out for now, where else could Utopia be going? MIA will have Icon & Oasis, PCC will have Wonder & Allure, FL will have Symphony & Odyssey, GALV will have Harmony. Could any those also support an additional OA Class?  

China may be out today but fall 2024 or spring 2025 is a long way away.  

2 hours ago, Shanenz84 said:

So lets say if China is out for now, where else could Utopia be going? MIA will have Icon & Oasis, PCC will have Wonder & Allure, FL will have Symphony & Odyssey, GALV will have Harmony. Could any those also support an additional OA Class?  

If everything going forward remains on schedule Utopia isn't scheduled to be delivered until sometime in the spring of 2024.  Royal would probably leave Utopia in Europe for the 2024 spring/summer season meaning the earliest Utopia might be relocated would be fall of 2024.  Again this is assuming the construction schedule doesn't take a hit.  So Royal has time and doesn't need to make any decisions about China for at least another 6-7 months.  If Royal needs more time to make a decision about Utopia they could send Utopia to the US for the fall/winter season 2024/2025 after spending the spring/summer season in Europe.  

Allure most likely will continue doing 3 and 4 night cruises during the fall/winter 2024/2025 season Utopia or any other Oasis Class ship could easily set sail out of Port Canaveral on Saturday.  Royals schedule out of Port Canaveral terminal 1 could look something like this; Allure on Fridays, Utopia on Saturdays, Wonder on Sundays, Allure on Mondays. 

On 1/14/2023 at 3:15 PM, Jill said:

I would think if any oasis class goes to China it would be Wonder. That’s what she was built for. Also why I’ve got my second cruise on Wonder booked. Catch her while you can! 

I'm with you... it was planned for China (including decor) so if they redeploy a ship to China, I would bet on Wonder.

My guess is that Utopia's decor will be more "western" and it will be home ported in the U.S. As my FIL used to say, time will tell!

I’m not sure how much truth to this there is, but when I was chatting with the head Next Cruise staff member on a recent sailing, he was very adamant that Royal is getting out of the China cruise market. Spectrum is still in the area, but Singapore, not China. I also met several bartenders who said they’ll never go back to that market because the revenue from alcohol sales is non existent. Again, these are all individual opinions but I found them interesting…

3 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

Oof. I can't even imagine them trying to do parking at T1 in Port Canaveral for 3 Oasis class ships. Indy and Wonder already already tapped out the garage!

I understand what you're saying but if push comes to shove and Royal deems China isn't ready for an Oasis Class ship by the fall of 2024 there will be 6 Oasis Class ships setting sail from somewhere here in the US probably from somewhere in Florida. I doubt the parking situation is any better at PortMiami or Port Everglades and I doubt seriously Royal would have 2 Oasis Class ships departing from Galveston.  

I think Harmony stays in Galveston.

Icon and an Oasis Class will sail from Miami

Odyssey and an Oasis Class will sail from Fort Lauderdale

Allure 3 and 4 night cruises from Port Canaveral  

Two other Oasis Class ships will set sail from Port Canaveral doing 7 night cruises.

Is there any off site parking cruise guest can use if this situation were to come to fruition where there are essentially 3 Oasis Class ships setting sail from Port Canaveral?  Living in Chicago I always fly to Florida for a cruise so parking has never effected me.  But is there parking off site where Royal could perhaps run shuttles if need be?

11 hours ago, twangster said:

Then where would Icon and Smokey of the Seas (Icon 2) go?

Within the article it appears Icon would find Home At Terminal G or Shared births at MSC's new terminal to the East of Terminal A. I would wonder if this gets approved, Does royal then plan an upgrade to Port Everglades terminal??....

New Terminal G and Berth 10

It calls for building a new Terminal G for Royal Caribbean Group's exclusive use and Berth 10, where the company would share the new terminal under construction by MSC Cruises.

The agreement also covers the continued development of Royal Caribbean's PortMiami headquarters, put on hold during the pandemic, and a lease extension there through at least 2072

New CTG able to handle Icon-class ships

Royal Caribbean's existing Terminal G has capacity for ships with about 4,000 passengers. The new CTG will be able to handle Icon-class ships — cruising's largest — with capacity for 7,000-plus passengers. It will be built to the county's sustainable buildings ordinance with solar panels and have a multi-level shared parking garage with ground-level intermodal facility, connecting roadways and a provisioning building.

It will occupy both the existing site and PortMiami’s 1963-era administrative building, to be demolished.

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/ports-destinations/miami-dade-weighs-new-royal-caribbean-terminal-hq-expansion