Anyone else love to ski?

Matt

Back in 2020 when we couldn't cruise, I went skiing for the first time in probably a decade.

Since then, the ski bug bit me and I've gone back once a year ever since, including a trip next month up to Vermont.

Any other cruise fans that also enjoy skiing?

47 minutes ago, Matt said:

Back in 2020 when we couldn't cruise, I went skiing for the first time in probably a decade.

Since then, the ski bug bit me and I've gone back once a year ever since, including a trip next month up to Vermont.

47 minutes ago, Matt said:

I enjoy skiing , but like you have not done so for about 15 years.  I suppose its like riding a bike.. you never forget?   Further the older you get the more difficult it may become, so I think you need to be in relatively good physical shape. ( legs)  Lastly, now you have an added cost as you may need to purchase new skis and boots for the family. Improvements are constantly being made year to year.  So with the cost of fees added, this can be an expensive activity for the family. You gotta really love it I would presume to go all out. 

My family and I go skiing all the time. We try to go multiple times a year since it has become one of our favorite types of vacations. We go skiing so often and really enjoy doing so the price always seems worth it. We get new skis for me and my wife around every 6 years. So the price of equipment is not really a burden since we only get new ones every 6 years. However, our kids have to get skis around every 2 years since they are actively growing.  

I used to ski quite a bit until my knees betrayed me.  I lived close to a few ski mountains, so it was easy enough to go.  Smaller mountains/resorts had lower lift ticket prices, and I'm assuming it's the same nowadays.

You can rent equipment rather than spend lots of money to outfit a family.  It's cheaper to do this if you're only going one or two times a year.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

You should plan a trip out west.

The skiing in the Rockies is on a whole different level.  

1 hour ago, twangster said:

True. When I lived in Vancouver for 5 years, I skied Whistler mountain.  Its worth a try for those visiting ..and you can rent.  

On 1/14/2023 at 8:16 AM, twangster said:

I thought about it for this trip I'm taking in February, but 4+ hours in a plane for just a couple days of skiing seemed a lot. 

However based on the lack of snow this winter in the northeast, I've been regretting that choice.

9 hours ago, twangster said:

Technically Whistler-Blackcomb are in the Cascades.  Equally beautiful.   

Yes. The Canadian Cascade Arc, also called the Canadian Cascades, is the Canadian segment of the North American Cascade Volcanic Arc. Located entirely within the Canadian province of British Columbia, it extends from the Cascade Mountains in the south to the Coast Mountains in the north.

• 1 month later...
On 1/15/2023 at 9:48 AM, twangster said:

Technically Whistler-Blackcomb are in the Cascades.  Equally beautiful.   

Mrs Fan and I spent 5 days in Whistler for our 40th anniversary.  We are still Florida people at heart and snow is still a big deal.  We didn't ski but went snowmobiling and just had fun going out into Whistler Village and goofing around.  Booked it thru Costco Travel as one of their "resort" vacations.  Loved it.

• 1 month later...

Oh yes, we love to ski but the resorts in Europe are being massively affected by global warming and the snow season is much shorter. Since the 1980s it's amazing to see what a difference global warming is making. Many ski resorts are re-inventing themselves into activity resorts in Europe with walking trails, wellness spas and mountain bike trails.  Hopefully the human race can do more to slow down the pace of climate change.