Balcony usage while at sea?

jp1

1 hour ago, Psycho and Barb said:

We always hang our hammock on ours...Even on our Alaska cruises.  Psycho loves taking naps out there.

This sounds amazing. How do you accomplish this? I have a few hammocks lying around from when I used to go camping a ton.

1 hour ago, Maggie M said:

I love having my morning coffee on the balcony and reading/napping out there. It's nice that you can use it whenever you want unless there's bad weather, in which case you wouldn't want to be out there anyways!

One of our "favorites" is breakfast on the balcony - room service breakfast, then enjoy outside!

@jp1 Use whenever, No smoking on balcony unless you plan on an early departure from the ship, As mentioned above by @CruisingNewb about balcony open and opening the door to the hallway, also make sure you have the handle in the locked position(air conditioning won't work if not in lock position).

Also if you plan to hop on the good foot and do a bad thing, enjoy the motion of the ocean, Enjoy your birthday suit..... there are cameras that point down the side of the ship.... Just saying. Hahaha

4 hours ago, Maggie M said:

It's nice that you can use it whenever you want unless there's bad weather, in which case you wouldn't want to be out there anyways!

It depends. There was an eveving where we went through a pretty good storm, but because we of the way (and speed) we were moving, the rain all hit the front of the ship. We had the front-most balcony where you could not only see out the side, but out the front as well via a clear plexiglass shield. We sat out there for hours with drinks, watching the rain and the lightning over the open sea, and didn't get a drop of rain on us. 

On 1/11/2023 at 10:38 AM, Psycho and Barb said:

We always hang our hammock on ours...Even on our Alaska cruises.  Psycho loves taking naps out there.

I’m interested in hearing about the hammock too. 
there’s nothing like having morning coffee out on the balcony. 
this’ll be my boyfriend’s first Royal cruise. He is so excited 

On 1/11/2023 at 10:47 AM, MJ_ said:

This sounds amazing. How do you accomplish this? I have a few hammocks lying around from when I used to go camping a ton.

We use this hammock that has straps to hold it up…We got it at Samsclub.  Depending on the ship, there are a few things you can wrap the straps around.  I can’t seem to locate a picture of it in use but it does take up most of the balcony space.   We usually unhook one side and clip it to the other side when it’s not in use. 

82168925-CDDB-4569-8FF2-EA8CA9EDD7A2.jpeg

36 minutes ago, Psycho and Barb said:

We use this hammock that has straps to hold it up…We got it at Samsclub.  Depending on the ship, there are a few things you can wrap the straps around.  I can’t seem to locate a picture of it in use but it does take up most of the balcony space.   We usually unhook one side and clip it to the other side when it’s not in use. 

I love this suggestion. I'm now going to go get one

2 hours ago, Psycho and Barb said:

Ohhhh, I don't think I would do this. You have to know that any structure out on the balcony that you would be attaching your straps to is made to take vertical and NOT sideways force.

As always, only hang as high as you're willing to fall.

43 minutes ago, VirtKitty said:

Ohhhh, I don't think I would do this. You have to know that any structure out on the balcony that you would be attaching your straps to is made to take vertical and NOT sideways force.

As always, only hang as high as you're willing to fall.

Hate to disagree with you but most of our attach points are to a Huge I-Beam that ain’t moving and the only way we are falling is if our straps break 

We love having a balcony, morning coffee is best out by the rail especially with a Caribbean sunrise! . 

We have done Ocean View rooms when our boy was much smaller just so there was one less thing to plan for. Now that he is 10 he loves sitting out on the balcony as much as we do. 

The only time we did not make extensive use of a balcony was when we had one for just the two of us on our 20th anniversary. The balcony is great and all, but the furniture in the stateroom is much more comfortable for extracurriculars. 

balcony.jpg

On 1/14/2023 at 9:03 AM, Psycho and Barb said:

Fantastic idea I've never thought of before.  I may be trying this soon...

• 1 month later...
On 1/14/2023 at 12:58 PM, FSUFAN said:

Also, doesn't one of the lines, Virgin maybe, have hammocks on their balconies as a standard set-up?

yes; virgin has their red hammock on all their “sea terrace” (aka balcony) and above cabins. 😎

now… if only i wasn’t hammock-challenged and didn’t always fear falling out of the things… 😂

Another thing to be aware of for your balcony is that I have occasionally had messages that crew may be on my balcony for cleaning or maintenance. Usually on a port day for a specified range of time. Make sure you close your curtains before going on shore for any excursions so you don't forget to do it when you return and get any surprises coming out to get dressed after a shower....hypothetically.

2 hours ago, lusimtk said:

is there an option to upgrade your cabin to the balcony later on, shortly before the start of the cruise?

just in case someone cancels their booking or whatever....is this even an option?

If the cabin costs more than you paid and you spot it as available before your sailing, I've had luck upgrading to the higher price (even after final payment).

I think most people roll the dice with RoyalUp https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2022/08/02/royal-caribbeans-royalup-guide-tips-and-tricks

On 1/14/2023 at 3:37 PM, bluebayou said:

I took a cruise with a couple friends. Every evening when one of us was inside getting dressed for dinner the other two sat on on the balcony and had a glass of wine before dinner. Strangely, we used the balcony more than I normally do with my family.

39DA2A7B-39CC-4A29-8A85-B4C9073C1B65.jpeg

This is an ideal balcony breakfast!  Cupcakes in more ways than one 🤪