Adventure of the Seas Refurbishment Q1 2018

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 4/26/2017 at 11:42 AM, FManke said:

Obviously, with them having to cancel cruises, this wasn't a planned remodel? Is this common?

This is because the left hand is not knowing what the right hand is doing. Just like the Crown & Anchor levels. The emerald level was supposed to be between Diamond Plus and pinnacle. But the information was released to the public before it was reviewed. Now you have small Stepping Stones at the beginning of the tier levels and a giant Gap at the end.

1 hour ago, gamblin said:

This is because the left hand is not knowing what the right hand is doing. Just like the Crown & Anchor levels. The emerald level was supposed to be between Diamond Plus and pinnacle. But the information was released to the public before it was reviewed. Now you have small Stepping Stones at the beginning of the tier levels and a giant Gap at the end.

Welcome to the message boards!

The original remodel was postponed by Hurricane Matthew damage to the Freeport dockyard.  The remodel is being competed in smaller phases with some already completed and the final bits being done now.  It's more likely the timing of the work is based on availability of the dockyard where the work is being completed.  They don't own the dockyard and they are used by all types of ships from cruise to cargo and tankers.  Finding time and availability and then shipping all the components to that facility in advance takes a lot of planning.  No cruise line likes to cancel cruises but they were left little choice based on when they could get time in the dockyards to get it all done. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/27/2017 at 9:36 AM, jticarruthers said:

We can each have opinions, as someone who followed the news about the drydock and what was impacting it pretty closely and then was directly impacted by being on one of the cruises shortly after the dry dock was "completed", lets just say I have a very different opinion and leave it at that.

I was on the cruise right out of dry dock and I was super nervous about going, what if it was delayed or not finished etc.  Sure enough it wasn’t finished..... however because of hurricane Matthew some of the supplies needed were unable to be delivered in a timely fashion to complete it, RC offered us a 25% future cruise credit because they were still doing work on the ship while we sailed, they were working on Chops, the water slides, painting, and the mini golf... it wasn’t horrible, it wasn’t inconvenient,  disappointing yes.... but nothing overly horrible.... aside from Izumi, after sailing on her again a year later almost to the day, the only difference was chips and the working water slides.... RC didn’t screw this one up and they sure didn’t have to offer us anything at all to book another one, the service on that first cruise was stellar.... 

I'm on the 2/24 sailing (third-ish one after the upcoming dry dock), and planning to do some live blogging from them ship to talk about San Juan (spending a couple days in old SJ ahead of the cruise) and the refurbishments on the ship. If there are any questions, be sure to send them my way.

I am curious about what they will do with Jester's. I believe they will close it and put something else there but will they then use the crown lounge as a night club area?

I'm also curious about the panoramic rooms they are adding. I was ALMOST going to book one but chickened out and got a spacious oceanview instead.

Will they close sports bar and put Izumi in its place?

Can't wait to see what the staterooms will look like. 

1 minute ago, Guinnessirish said:

I am curious about what they will do with Jester's. I believe they will close it and put something else there but will they then use the crown lounge as a night club area?

I'm also curious about the panoramic rooms they are adding. I was ALMOST going to book one but chickened out and got a spacious oceanview instead.

Will they close sports bar and put Izumi in its place?

Can't wait to see what the staterooms will look like. 

Yes - my understanding is that the sports bar is being removed and Izumi will be added ... according to the most recent deck plans at least! 

6 hours ago, KLAconQueso said:

I'm on the 2/24 sailing (third-ish one after the upcoming dry dock), and planning to do some live blogging from them ship to talk about San Juan (spending a couple days in old SJ ahead of the cruise) and the refurbishments on the ship. If there are any questions, be sure to send them my way.

There's a decent contingency from the #RCPeriscopers.live group going on the Adventure 5/5 repo cruise from San Juan to Bayonne.  Make sure you scope!

49 minutes ago, twangster said:

There's a decent contingency from the #RCPeriscopers.live group going on the Adventure 5/5 repo cruise from San Juan to Bayonne.  Make sure you scope!

I don't think I will be scoping much (if at all) due to the amount of family we have going with us, but I *might* try and do a little on embarkation day!

Just now, Sabrinaklai said:

What? Your wife agreed? :10_wink:

It was her idea! I just told her that she was owed a 50th birthday trip of whatever stripe (land, cruise, whatever) and to let me know what she wanted to do. She looked through the cruises out of Bayonne and said she'd like to do a 6-night NE / CA on Adventure, since she wanted to see Canada. We just have to finalize what month we want to go, and maybe wait another month to get on a billing cycle where adding a $1,000 total deposit for 2 rooms doesn't slam us.

18 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

It was her idea! I just told her that she was owed a 50th birthday trip of whatever stripe (land, cruise, whatever) and to let me know what she wanted to do. She looked through the cruises out of Bayonne and said she'd like to do a 6-night NE / CA on Adventure, since she wanted to see Canada. We just have to finalize what month we want to go, and maybe wait another month to get on a billing cycle where adding a $1,000 total deposit for 2 rooms doesn't slam us.

Woohoo!  Feels good to add another one to the list! ?

3 minutes ago, ericaofamerica said:

@KLAconQueso I can't wait for your live blog. I'll be on the Adventure in May so I really look forward to your pictures. Do you post just here or use an IG to also document your travels?

I actually haven't used IG for a long time, but it might be worth bringing it back for this trip! :) I'll share in the live blog if I end up going that route.