Sailing out of NYC questions vs Florida

gi333

Hi everyone.

We are new to cruising and we are considering booking A cruise in August. We are looking at sailing out of NYC with Oasis of the Seas or out of Orlando. Oasis vs Mariners of the Seas vs Wonder of the Seas. My main concern is do you have alot of chances of having rough seas out of NYC? Like so much to close the pools? Is August temperature nice enough to go in pool over Atlantic ocean vs Carribean?

Nyc sailing more expensive than from Orlando.  We can drive to NYC from Montreal but we have to fly to Orlando.

Mariners of the Seas itinerary is interesting but ship smaller. What do you think of this ship with kids 4 and 8?

Thanks 

Sorry I don't have many answers to your questions but here is something to consider: August = Hurricane season.  In the Caribbean, a ship can maneuver around a hurricane. The seas could still be rough but the ship will stay away from the worst of it. In the Caribbean, they can even switch ports at the last minute.  With NYC (or New Jersey), there is not as much wiggle room for the ship's captain.  Basically, the ships goes south or north.  Most hurricanes will hug the coast line - the same with a cruise ship.  

As far as the ship size and what they offer - you have to look at your children.  I don't think the ship size will matter to a 4 year old. For the 8 year old - depends.  How active are they.  Both ships have the Adventure Ocean that caters to your kids ages.  Both ships have water slides, just the Oasis will have more.  

I would look at the ports each ship will visit and make your decision on that. When your kids become teenagers, then I would start looking at what each ship offers. Good luck and enjoy. 

September is hurricane season. August (First half of the month) out of NYC should be fine. August in NYC is also plenty hot to be in the pool. As far as rough seas, I've gone out of NYC and up to Canada about a dozen times in July and August and never had rougher seas then out of Miami to Bahamas in May. So take that for what it's worth. All that being said though, I would go for Wonder since it's brand new. And Oasis as second choice. Both will have more for kids. (And adults)

Done a few cruises out of Bayonne in August, can only remember once night being rough. Having said that first time we went on Oasis a hurricane was going through later that night in Fort Lauderdale, I told the guy at the security gate I was somewhat worried, his response was if you put the Oasis up against a hurricane the the Oasis will win. Even with rough seas, you probably won't feel it on Oasis/Wonder. Don't recall how often I used the pool on the cruises out of Bayonne.

One thing with Bayonne is the parking lot is a little weird (if your in the outdoor lot). On cruises that depart/arrive on the weekend traffic isn't an issue. During the week it's congested. 

They're all good ships. We're doing the Wonder the week of Aug 20th

i cruise out of Bayonne NJ and it's not really that bad weather wise. 

I have sailed from there in May, October and December.  October I was on a smaller ship and we went through a storm overnight, so yes we felt it. 

But as far as seas go, you don't really feel it unless there is some weather system in the area especially on Oasis class ships. 

August is a good month, the pools should be open. But yes it is usually more money to sail from NJ than FL. if you are leaving during a colder weather month then bundle up.

We did Anthem out of Bayonne in July and I don't remember any rough seas but August/September may present some but I doubt you'd feel it on most decks. I would go for Wonder though since it's newer and I prefer sailing out of Orlando but that's just a preference! I'm sure no matter what you decide, it will be the right decision for your family. The kids will have a blast on either ship, I'm pretty sure! Enjoy!

Thanks for your answers.  Is it always more expensive leaving from NYC?

Port Canaveral: anything else to do besides space Kennedy center?

Any good hotels good price in Port Canaveral?  If you would arrive 2 days before cruise would you Uber or rent a car in Orlando? 

Thank you

Save $$ and drive to port if you can.  Summer thunderstorms have created havoc with the airlines the past two years....just my two cents.

Oasis is a great ship and there is plenty to do for all ages.

The weather should be plenty warm enough to enjoy the pools.

Always a chance for rough weather no matter what time of year (ask the people trying to get back to Galveston a couple of weeks ago!) but with an Oasis sized ship, it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Things to do in Port Canaveral......Kennedy Space Center is awesome, other options: Cocoa Beach, Ron Jon Surf shop (it's huge), some good restaurants, shopping.  

2 hours ago, gi333 said:

Thanks for your answers.  Is it always more expensive leaving from NYC?

Port Canaveral: anything else to do besides space Kennedy center?

Any good hotels good price in Port Canaveral?  If you would arrive 2 days before cruise would you Uber or rent a car in Orlando? 

Thank you

Leaving from NY/Bayonne is less money than Port Canaveral in April, May, and (early June). But July and August are peak summer travel.

You will save a lot of money if you stay in the Orlando Airport area and travel to the port the morning of. Orlando has so many hotels and Port Canaveral has limited inventory and peak summer pricing near beach. 

You can rent a car at Airport in Orlando and drop off right by Port Canaveral the morning of trip.

We were on Mariner of the Seas last summer and loved the ship!  For ages 4 and 8, the ship has plenty of activities, pool, and Adventure Ocean to make for a great cruise.  I've never driven to a terminal, but will cruise from Bayonne in June and I'm excited to experience something different.  Granted, it's an almost 4 hour drive, but at least I don't have to worry about overweight luggage.  

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, gi333 said:

Hey guys. Is January the lowest price of the year for August cruise? The Current sale is ending January 31 and it's making me crazy cause I wonder if I should book now or maybe get a better deal. 

Thanks 

Conventional thinking is book as early as you can when you see a price that works for you. That basically what I do, not all the time because I'm crazy and book a cruise that's more expensive but in general this is what I do. Out 3 cruises more were booked way out at crazy good prices. 

If you can drive to NJ it is way better than flying to Orlando. We left out of NJ in June and the weather for the first day at sea was perfect. August weather in the northeast is generally very good sans the odd thunderstorm. I would definitely not fly to Orlando due to weather unless you really wanted a different ship. Our first cruise out of NJ was on Oasis of the seas and our next cruise is out of Orlando because I wanted to try Wonder of the seas.

Hi . I am reading the best price guaranteed policy and I understand that you have 48 hours after you booked to claim if price drops? Is that right? To my understanding people have been still able to claim that before final payment was applied is this true? It seems to good to be true.

Thanks 

42 minutes ago, gi333 said:

I am reading the best price guaranteed policy and I understand that you have 48 hours after you booked to claim if price drops? Is that right?

This 48 hour guarantee is more for bookings after final payment is due. 

As long as it's before final payment you can reprice your cruise, at least in the US.

I always leave out of NY because I'm only about 90 minutes away in Connecticut. Going to Florida to cruise you have to add round trip flight, a hotel for the night (never fly in the day of your cruise), meals for the added time, etc., etc. So much easier to cruise out of NY or Bayonne. And I don't worry about about choppy seas, that can happen anywhere. 

Now I realize you're leaving from Montreal so that changes things some. I still think Bayonne would be easier.