Overbooked Cruises

oufpat

If I understand the way GTY works, Royal closes off a set number of rooms for those GTY sales in order to ensure that all people get the room they paid for. So if they are all showing as sold out that should mean both the "choose your own" and GTY cabins have all been filled and now it's just a matter of assigning GTY sailors to their room.

Unlike airlines, I have never heard of a cruise line overbooking rooms.

While I will say now is too early to get concerned, from my recent experience of being downgraded from a suite gty to a balcony aboard the Vision of the Seas New Years cruise you should be prepared for the possibility. If you aren't assigned by check in day I would have a list of concessions ready just in case of a possible downgrade. 

27 minutes ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

Unlike airlines, I have never heard of a cruise line overbooking rooms.

Funny cause this was the exact quote from the Royal rep when I called 7 days before my sail date with my concern about not having been assigned a room. Then 3 days later "oh sorry the suites were sold out and only had a balcony available"

3 hours ago, bigmoose7563 said:

Funny cause this was the exact quote from the Royal rep when I called 7 days before my sail date with my concern about not having been assigned a room. Then 3 days later "oh sorry the suites were sold out and only had a balcony available"

Wow! Did you get any compensation? 

4 hours ago, Carlos A. said:

Wow! Did you get any compensation? 

Yes we got one of our fares refunded so basically half back, still was able to board/depart with the other suite guests, put to the front of the waitlist in case of any last second suite cancelations(which did not happen) and am supposed to get the suite C&A points but that hasn't been posted yet to verify.

• 1 month later...

We also received an email that our cruise was overbooked. This is for the March 12 cruise out of Canaveral for a week in the Caribbean. I have cruised on several other cruise lines, but this is a first in a long time on RC. We and another couple wanted to see this big new ship, the Wonder of the Seas. We considered taking one of the offers, but it said "if you are accepted" ... so what happens if my husband and I get the deal and the other couple we're traveling with does not? We called and asked and they said there's no guarantee we both get the deal. They don't mention that part in the email. This is an impossible offer for anyone traveling with a group. I"ve never had a cancellation on a cruise ship before. Sounds like this is not the first overbooking RC has had. Oh, and they lost all our bookings for the shows, which are now all sold out. Really not impressed with this outfit. Plenty of other cruise choices out there.