Royal Promenade coffee

dejagatkins

I'm not a complainer. I just got off Oasis and am still reveling. But my one complaint (well besides CATS needs to go) :-D Is that the regular coffee was soo watered down this year. I felt like the ship was trying to force us to spend money on Starbucks. Then I heard they switched off of Seattle's Best. Maybe that is the reason but we found except for very early morning coffee in the Cafe Promenade, the rest of the day it was watered down. I felt a bit ill, because I could not get my usual dose of caffeine a few times per day unless I went to Starbucks. Did anyone else notice that recently? Some folks in the cafe were down right angry.

I know sooner lines use a liquid coffee concentrate and I hope this isn't one of those cases. 

I always buy the nonalcoholic package the includes specialty coffee and I haven't noticed a decline there and never felt compelled to go to Starbucks, but I have no experience with the drip coffee. 

1 hour ago, DocLC said:

I know sooner lines use a liquid coffee concentrate and I hope this isn't one of those cases. 

I always buy the nonalcoholic package the includes specialty coffee and I haven't noticed a decline there and never felt compelled to go to Starbucks, but I have no experience with the drip coffee. 

I did buy the overall beverage package. So one time we got an Irish coffee at the Promenade and that was good. But their regular coffee has changed for sure. One morning a lady was snarky and complaining and I spoke up and said  " I like their Seattle's Best"; Then after she was gone, I tried my own cup and it was very watery like she said. My hubby and I who always enjoy our coffee there, left them on the table and walked up. I'm guessing they will have to change back if they don't want a mob on their hands. We did find if we went very early, it was a more normal dilution. Not sure why.

Guest toodle68

I just normally always expect any coffee outside of a place offering 'dark' brand is going to be weak and disappointing.  The coffee in the mornings on Liberty was ok since they did have a dark blend which, whilst was not strong, was drinkable. Hate to think what normal was like.  I have decided going forward I am going to purchase the 15 special coffees for $31 card.. seems a decent deal.

4 hours ago, toodle68 said:

I just normally always expect any coffee outside of a place offering 'dark' brand is going to be weak and disappointing.  The coffee in the mornings on Liberty was ok since they did have a dark blend which, whilst was not strong, was drinkable. Hate to think what normal was like.  I have decided going forward I am going to purchase the 15 special coffees for $31 card.. seems a decent deal.

It is a good deal saving you up to 50% off menu prices, depending on what you order. A lot of people will say it's just another thing that they now have to pay for that was once included. Bad coffee is included, but good coffee cost extra. Some people will just drink what's there and not complain. Others will buy the coffee card and then complain. While others will buy the coffee card and just be happy they don't have to drink the bad coffee. And finally some people won't bother drinking the coffee at all. I think that should cover everybody.

Guest toodle68

Am I right in 'assuming' that the coffee card can be used on multiple cruises?  ie, it has 15 uses?    or is the card specific to the cruise you get it on?

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 1:15 PM, toodle68 said:

Am I right in 'assuming' that the coffee card can be used on multiple cruises?  ie, it has 15 uses?    or is the card specific to the cruise you get it on?

No. In the fine print of the offer it states "Card valid for this ship and sailing only."

Guest toodle68
14 hours ago, fmanke said:

No. In the fine print of the offer it states "Card valid for this ship and sailing only."

Damn.. that sucks. Not sure I will drink 15 coffees in 7 days.

Like some have mentioned on here, I also believe they are slowly programming us.  We have some paying for three or more meals on a seven day cruise and that doesn't include Johnny Rockets.  Some of us that really like our coffee are being forced to pay for a decent cup.  What's next?  It will be interesting to see how all of this unfolds

15 hours ago, MikeK said:

Like some have mentioned on here, I also believe they are slowly programming us.  We have some paying for three or more meals on a seven day cruise and that doesn't include Johnny Rockets.  Some of us that really like our coffee are being forced to pay for a decent cup.  What's next?  It will be interesting to see how all of this unfolds

I understand why you, as well as others don't like the thought of paying for something that was once "included." I think the cruise industry is just offering people what they want and are willing to pay extra for. They aren't forcing you to pay for these things and if you wanted to cruise without paying for the extra dining, you can. There are a lot of people who say they cruise and only ever eat in the MDR and others who only ever eat in the specialty restaurants. That's both their choices. Exactly what RC and others are giving you, choices. 

9 hours ago, fmanke said:

I understand why you, as well as others don't like the thought of paying for something that was once "included." I think the cruise industry is just offering people what they want and are willing to pay extra for. They aren't forcing you to pay for these things and if you wanted to cruise without paying for the extra dining, you can. There are a lot of people who say they cruise and only ever eat in the MDR and others who only ever eat in the specialty restaurants. That's both their choices. Exactly what RC and others are giving you, choices. 

Yes I understand its a choice and that's good.   When they water down the coffee or make the food less appealing in the MDR to steer you to pay extra for something that should be included in the price of the cruise then I have a problem

MikeK, I agree, I'm just wondering how much pressure RC is feeling from the Market and the Shareholders to maintain or increase the dividend, hence cost cutting. I say this because I have seen post by people eating in the specialty restaurants that are not even happy with the quality that they receive, Chops grill as an example, steaks under cooked or over cooked, to fatty or tough. I'm one of the people that was slow to adapt the specialty dinning, I liked the tradition of dressing nice, going to the late seating in the MDR, having dinner and then going to a show, but I'm slowly changing to the specialty dinning, my upcoming cruise in May I purchased the 3 night dinning package and MTD.

I don't personally have any complaints, but I try hard to manage my expectations so I won't be disappointed.

1 hour ago, MikeK said:

Yes I understand its a choice and that's good.   When they water down the coffee or make the food less appealing in the MDR to steer you to pay extra for something that should be included in the price of the cruise then I have a problem

Me too!! A good basic cup of coffee should be free and not watered down. When I put the half and half in it looked like dishwater. I should still be able to get a standard regular brewed cup of coffee.  

Well, peoples wallets will dictate what direction they go in. If people decide to stop cruising RC because they feel that the quality of food has dropped or because they don't like the coffee that's served, RC will have to make some decisions. But they will always side with the vocal majority, meaning those people that are constantly cruising with them and spending their money with them. Not that any negatives view points are not valid. I've read complaints from people that say the food quality of RC has dropped over the years and then continue to cruise with them. Why? If you don't like a product or feel that the quality of said product has diminished, you should stop buying said product.