Lobster changes

Censored

I have a friend who shared a picture of his lobster tail on a current cruise.  Its the size of his broccoli portion.(small)  If he orders one more what will it cost? $5 ? or will he have to pay $16.99 for a Maine Lobster tail which should be substantially bigger   1lb?  1.5?     

3 hours ago, D Alt said:

The lobster tails on the lobster tail night doesn't cost any extra money. You can order a few of them, but yes the last time I was onboard they were quite small. 

actually with the new menu change, they are limiting to one tail a night with a surcharge for additional tails. i believe that is what OP is referring to above, given the menu is due to roll out to the rest of the fleet imminently. 😅

I totally understand that lobster has become some kind of cruise tradition, but its 2023, are people really that excited for lobster still?  

Go to Costco and get lobster tails.

Lobster, whether available or not, whether free or $20, whether warm water or cold water, should not and WILL NOT ruin your cruise.  

1 hour ago, CruisingNewb said:

I totally understand that lobster has become some kind of cruise tradition, but its 2023, are people really that excited for lobster still?  

Go to Costco and get lobster tails.

Lobster, whether available or not, whether free or $20, whether warm water or cold water, should not and WILL NOT ruin your cruise.  

That just may be your personal opinion.

Most cruisers that I know, if they eat Lobster, really enjoyed the traditional lobster all you can eat night on cruise ships.

I do understand that is simply a cost cutting measure, just like most Hotels now limiting daily cleanings

Lobster was simply a symbol of something special.  With lobster gone, and lamb, and short ribs, and..... I would expect Royal to provide something else that will be the new symbol of premium service for average folks like us.  Has anyone found something special in the new menu?  I don't see it yet...

I definitely still enjoy lobster night but it does in no way make or break my cruise - just an added bonus IMO. I think limiting the quantities of the tails is a good change for a few reasons. I liked that during COVID, the food in the WindJammer was plated for you - this should have cut down on so much waste! Hopefully it did! Maybe with limited quantities/options, people will appreciate things more, especially when it isn't available in the masses?  Just a thought.

17 hours ago, twangster said:

A chicken lobster is one normally weighing only 1 lb to 1 1/4 lb.  Smaller lobster, less meat.  When lobsters are on sale at grocery stores, these are usually the ones they’re selling.  Larger lobster will have, not only larger claws and tails, but substantial meat in the body itself.  There are also one clawed lobsters called culls.  

Class dismissed.

7 hours ago, USCG Teacher said:

Waiting for the New England crew in 3...2....

53 minutes ago, Pooch said:

A chicken lobster is one normally weighing only 1 lb to 1 1/4 lb.  Smaller lobster, less meat.  When lobsters are on sale at grocery stores, these are usually the ones they’re selling.  Larger lobster will have, not only larger claws and tails, but substantial meat in the body itself.  There are also one clawed lobsters called culls.  

Class dismissed.

😉

i-told-you-so.gif

I was on the Celebrity Solstice last week. The menu had the $16.99 extra charge for the additional lobster tail dish. I didn't go for it but I asked if it was the same as the first dish. It's the same dish with the same small lobster tail. $16.99?!?!  I should've eaten more when I had the chance when it was included. I guess people will go for it if they have OBC to burn. I'm assuming it's the same for Royal.

Anyways, so I had three entrees (lobster tail, duck, and lamb). $16.99x3 = $50.97! That's not including the two appetizers and one dessert. I won't go into how many entrees I got the other nights.

1 hour ago, mistertomatohead said:

I was on the Celebrity Solstice last week. The menu had the $16.99 extra charge for the additional lobster tail dish. I didn't go for it but I asked if it was the same as the first dish. It's the same dish with the same small lobster tail. $16.99?!?!  I should've eaten more when I had the chance when it was included. I guess people will go for it if they have OBC to burn. I'm assuming it's the same for Royal.

Anyways, so I had three entrees (lobster tail, duck, and lamb). $16.99x3 = $50.97! That's not including the two appetizers and one dessert. I won't go into how many entrees I got the other nights.

Well there you go. $16.99 seems to be the extra charge for another teeny weeny tail.