Windjammer & Allergies

bubbasmum

First, I would recommend informing Total Caribbean either through you TA it through they line's Special Needs department. 

When you get to the Windjammer, look for the chef. If he's not visible, ask one of the staff members working the buffet line and they'll get him. Explain your allergy to him and he'll walk you through all of the dishes that are safe. 

I have a family member with Celiac, and they've been very good walking us through the buffet as described above. Note, however, they can't control cross contamination by other guests if there is a food item with an allergen next to one without it. In some cases, they'll bring you a serving from there back. For fried foods, they only have one fryer, so cross contamination is a problem there unlike the main dining room where they have dedicated fryers. 

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 5:39 AM, bubbasmum said:

Hi

This will be our first time cruising with Royal Caribbean.

We have severe food allergies and was wondering what experiences people have with their catering for allergies in Windjammer.

Thanks

From what DocLC and others have said RC is very accommodating as far as dietary needs are concerned. So do not hesitate to ask anything, at any time.

On 4/26/2017 at 2:55 AM, bubbasmum said:

Thank you, I have completed the special needs form and sent it through so that's covered.

Sounds like you have had positive expereiences though which is comforting. 

Thanks for you time in replying

Yes, we have. I actually liked the WJ better than the MDR experience mainly because you didn't have to select your meals the day before. Thus isn't a knock on Royal as all cruise lines do this in order to modify and make the dish without the allergen. 

15 minutes ago, DocLC said:

Yes, we have. I actually liked the WJ better than the MDR experience mainly because you didn't have to select your meals the day before. Thus isn't a knock on Royal as all cruise lines do this in order to modify and make the dish without the allergen. 

Is the WJ able to whip up something on the spot?

9 hours ago, fmanke said:

Is the WJ able to whip up something on the spot?

Technically, no, but they will get something from the back that hasn't yet been served to ensure cross contamination hasn't taken place. That said, they did once offer and make me gluten free pancakes and a burger to make sure there wasn't any cross contamination. 

30 minutes ago, DocLC said:

Technically, no, but they will get something from the back that hasn't yet been served to ensure cross contamination hasn't taken place. That said, they did once offer and make me gluten free pancakes and a burger to make sure there wasn't any cross contamination. 

That's good service!

• 1 month later...

Yep, traveling with food allergies can be a bear. I have to say, though, I have found that all of the restaurant staff on RC was totally on the ball when it came to working around mine (Shrimp, nuts, and, of all the things to be allergic to on a cruise ship, chocolate). 

DocLC is absolutley right...

On 4/25/2017 at 9:02 AM, DocLC said:

First, I would recommend informing Total Caribbean either through you TA it through they line's Special Needs department. 

When you get to the Windjammer, look for the chef. If he's not visible, ask one of the staff members working the buffet line and they'll get him. Explain your allergy to him and he'll walk you through all of the dishes that are safe.  

But moreover, be your own advocate. The TA let them know about my allergies, but the MDR servers still double checked, and if they hadn't I would've spoken up. Our server and the chef even went so far as to go over the menus for each night with me to make sure I had something that worked for me. Even the chef's table was worked around my allergies, and I still got the full experience... Outstanding.

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/06/2017 at 11:46 PM, Farminger said:

Yep, traveling with food allergies can be a bear. I have to say, though, I have found that all of the restaurant staff on RC was totally on the ball when it came to working around mine (Shrimp, nuts, and, of all the things to be allergic to on a cruise ship, chocolate). 

DocLC is absolutley right...

But moreover, be your own advocate. The TA let them know about my allergies, but the MDR servers still double checked, and if they hadn't I would've spoken up. Our server and the chef even went so far as to go over the menus for each night with me to make sure I had something that worked for me. Even the chef's table was worked around my allergies, and I still got the full experience... Outstanding.

I have just seen your post which is really helpful, thank you. We have filled in the special needs form and Iw ill be calling them this week before we sail to make sure all is still in place. 

Can I ask though, apart from the main dining room. Did you have any problems with say... the pizza bar on the promonade, Jonny Rockets... or indeed Windjammer for the variety of items you had to eat

We are not really going to do formal nights so these will be our go to places.

Thanks

5 hours ago, bubbasmum said:

I have just seen your post which is really helpful, thank you. We have filled in the special needs form and Iw ill be calling them this week before we sail to make sure all is still in place. 

Can I ask though, apart from the main dining room. Did you have any problems with say... the pizza bar on the promonade, Jonny Rockets... or indeed Windjammer for the variety of items you had to eat

We are not really going to do formal nights so these will be our go to places.

Thanks

I had not problems at all at any of the restaurants. The staff was pretty knowledgeable about the food contents, and if they didn't know, they pulled one of the chefs to talk to me. RCI, and indeed most food and service related industries worth their salt are proactive about allergy awareness.

After having just sailed Princess, I've come to have a better appreciation of the Windjammer. The chef's in the Windjammer are much more knowledgeable about the food and it's preparation and actually make many more things allergy friendly (e.g., corn starch instead of flour) than on Princess. Princess did do a better job with allergies in the main dining room, but Royal also does a good job here as well.

• 4 years later...