Are non drinker being discriminated against?

'Discriminated' is a bit harsh... but certainly 'disadvantaged' might be apt. In this particular case I'm talking about the Sip and Surf promotion... I've only ever seen this for the alcoholic package but never for the non alcoholic packages. I imagine the profit margins are simular for the two so it seems a little off not to offer a simular discount to those that choose not to drink alcohol (or at least like in my case not enough to warrant the alcohol package compared to non alcohol). 

The other thing I noticed during my January cruise was the drinks menus (except Two70) didn't offer non alcoholic cocktails or where they did they were the same 2 or 3 drinks across the ship. It would be ice if RCL copied DCL and had both a alcohol and non alcohol 'cocktail of the day' advertised etc and maybe had half a page in a 6 page drinks menu that had some non alcoholic suggestions.  

1 hour ago, EmersonNZ said:

'Discriminated' is a bit harsh... but certainly 'disadvantaged' might be apt. In this particular case I'm talking about the Sip and Surf promotion... I've only ever seen this for the alcoholic package but never for the non alcoholic packages. I imagine the profit margins are simular for the two so it seems a little off not to offer a simular discount to those that choose not to drink alcohol (or at least like in my case not enough to warrant the alcohol package compared to non alcohol). 

The other thing I noticed during my January cruise was the drinks menus (except Two70) didn't offer non alcoholic cocktails or where they did they were the same 2 or 3 drinks across the ship. It would be ice if RCL copied DCL and had both a alcohol and non alcohol 'cocktail of the day' advertised etc and maybe had half a page in a 6 page drinks menu that had some non alcoholic suggestions.  

I don't know of if it's discrimination, but more likely good business, at least as RC is concerned. I don't know the mix of people purchasing alcohol pkgs vs non-alcohol pkgs, but I would think those buying the alcohol ones are much higher. That being said, they are just pushing the combo pkg to the highest number of passengers. They could easily offer if to everybody with a drink pkg, so I'm not sure about the complete reasoning. They could also easily produce a "mocktails" page or two, or you can just choose to ask for the drink with out the alcohol. Of course some cocktails just don't work without the alcohol, like a rum and coke for instance. :10_wink:

The rules and marketing practices definitely vary. On my Norway/Iceland cruise, most of the passengers were on the beverage package as it was a booking promotion that was offered, but never one I've seen on Royal in North America. I would have liked the perk. 

I'll agree that it's not equitable, but nothing seems to be when it comes to international businesses. The textbooks that cost my students $200 in the US are sold in developing countries for $25-$50, perhaps because that's what they market will bare. 

12 hours ago, DocLC said:

I'll agree that it's not equitable, but nothing seems to be when it comes to international businesses. The textbooks that cost my students $200 in the US are sold in developing countries for $25-$50, perhaps because that's what they market will bare. 

Don't even get me started about the economics of academic publications.... The academic writes the article for the journal for free, the academic edits the journal for free the journal sells the journal back to the academic. What other industry does that? You grown the food, you cook the food and then the restaurant charges you to eat the food.... mmmmm nah :5_smiley:

7 hours ago, EmersonNZ said:

Don't even get me started about the economics of academic publications.... The academic writes the article for the journal for free, the academic edits the journal for free the journal sells the journal back to the academic. What other industry does that? You grown the food, you cook the food and then the restaurant charges you to eat the food.... mmmmm nah :5_smiley:

So very true. Same with many academic conferences. You present for free, they charge others to attend your talk, and many still require you to pay to attend the conference.