What is Your "Pet Peeve" on a Cruise? (something that a particular person finds especially annoying.)

Censored

1. Kids in hot tubs, especially younger using it as a pool. Besides ruining a relaxing location it's not safe for them. I get it, older kids can enjoy a few minutes safely but that's not what happens... heck, I once witnessed a man bring a baby (with diaper) in a tub. I bit my tongue very hard as I walked out.
  2. Crew members that make us disembark at the end of the cruise. How rude! 🙂

3 hours ago, CruiseGus said:

My pet peeve 

All the rest of you interrupting my personal cruise by even being there.

When you see me coming your should move out of the way, give up your seat for me and generally make me feel like royalty.

SARCASM  LOL JOKE

This reminded me of our first cruise post covid...Symphony with about 1,600 aboard. Seemed so exclusive. That pretty much continued till we hit the Nav in April when it was almost full. Just checked our Odyssey 1/14...not even available to book so it's going to be full.

8 hours ago, Mike n Ky said:

This reminded me of our first cruise post covid...Symphony with about 1,600 aboard. Seemed so exclusive. That pretty much continued till we hit the Nav in April when it was almost full. Just checked our Odyssey 1/14...not even available to book so it's going to be full.

As an RC shareholder I'm pleased to see full ships. 

I have to agree with unsupervised children. I love children but when left unattended they can ruin everyones vacation. 

Cruisers who hog hot tubs all day and think its ok. 

Really drunk cruisers who become rude and disruptive. We have had that happen. They get extremely loud and have rude behaviors and just keep on being belligerent. I understand some drink for a good time but know your limits. Remember everyone is on vacation and just wants to make good memories. 

54 minutes ago, WoodsTravels said:

I have to agree with unsupervised children. I love children but when left unattended they can ruin everyones vacation. 

Cruisers who hog hot tubs all day and think its ok. 

Really drunk cruisers who become rude and disruptive. We have had that happen. They get extremely loud and have rude behaviors and just keep on being belligerent. I understand some drink for a good time but know your limits. Remember everyone is on vacation and just wants to make good memories. 

Not anti children-I'm Pro Education...keep them in school!...LOL but seriously:

On my last cruise Royal actually suspended an extremely drunk passengers UBP for 24 hours. 

22 hours ago, CruiseGus said:

My pet peeve 

All the rest of you interrupting my personal cruise by even being there.

When you see me coming your should move out of the way, give up your seat for me and generally make me feel like royalty.

SARCASM  LOL JOKE

Sarcasm? joke?  Is that how you get off in this domain without a warning from King Matt?  LOL... I have 2 warnings and  as you know, 3 strikes and you are OUT!    Censored. 

*When the nightly show is over but the cruise director--or even the Captain--comes on stage to make announcements--and half the audience gets up and files out while he's talking. So rude.

*smoking on balconies. It's not allowed, people-regardless of what you paid for your room.

*drunks who deliberately disrupt performances or demand attention or hassle people.

*I get it that a "hard sell" is part of the spa-staff job requirements. Still don't like it. But my peeve is the (few) times when the spa staff is openly disgusted because I won't buy something.

*people blasting their Spotify on some portable speaker poolside WHILE there is an amazing live steel drum band playing for our enjoyment.

*anyone who cuts in line on purpose.

*people who are rude to staff.

*people talking VERY loudly in the hallway at 2 am. It's not the ideal place to have an end of night conversation....do we need to tell you that? These are the same folks annoyed by doors closing at eight am.

*couples being super mean to each other or their kids. I've seen some heartbreaking exchanges on gorgeous cruise ships before we even leave port. Why go on vacation with your spouse/family if you can't stand each other? Can you not be nice to your loved ones? 

Agh.

15 minutes ago, She Sails Away said:

*When the nightly show is over but the cruise director--or even the Captain--come on stage to make announcements--and half the audience gets up and files out while they're talking. So rude.

We just got off our first oasis class sailing and could not believe how incredible the aqua theater show was, but more incredible, how many people got up and left rather than stay 5 more minutes to applaud the entertainers!

When the nightly show is over but the cruise director--or even the Captain--comes on stage to make announcements--and half the audience gets up and files out while he's talking. So rude.

I would say whilst I understand the comments, to me,

1- May reflect on the cruise director, as I have seen good and bad CDs, and some CDs can keep the majority of the audience. But if “half” the audience goes whilst a CD is doing something, then the CD has done something wrong, and I have experienced that on RCCL, but not other cruise lines. 

2- People may need to “do something”; ie parents take children to the restroom, “urgently”; even adults with medical conditions, and been holding it to the end of the show, or had a reservation somewhere. - maybe show overrun, or the only slot they could book. 

3- Then there is typically overcrowding on elevators at the end of the show.

So cruisers may be trying hard to be polite to the end of the show, but then, have to go! I myself agree it may look rude, but I have a medical condition, and whilst trying to avoid disruption in a performance, have on occasions, had to go, really, had to go, ( after drinking standard amounts at dinner).

10 hours ago, Censored said:

Sarcasm? joke?  Is that how you get off in this domain without a warning from King Matt?  LOL... I have 2 warnings and  as you know, 3 strikes and you are OUT!    Censored. 

Are you shooting for 3?  Anytime you visit a place owned by someone else, common courtesy says you follow their rules as their guest.  Having rules doesn't mean someone believes themselves to be king.  I like having you around.  Be the best guest you can be.

13 hours ago, BowTieBrigade said:

We just got off our first oasis class sailing and could not believe how incredible the aqua theater show was, but more incredible, how many people got up and left rather than stay 5 more minutes to applaud the entertainers!

You make a great point. Sad thing is that Oasis class ships have far more people than seats at bars. This is just a reality. If you don't leave sharpish then you do stand a chance of having to stand for the next event at the bar.  I always stay to applaud but doing so I realise I won't get a seat when I hit the bars. Same as if I stroll up at 1pm to pool side on a sea day then start looking for a seat lol.

Can I just add people playing loud music on their balcony. We had this recently on Brilliance of the seas. Trying to read my book to loud music is not enjoyable. 

1) Seeing diapered children/babies in the pool.

2) People who just can’t wait til they get to a table and start eating as they’re moving along in the buffet line (last cruise even saw a woman lick salad dressing off her fingers and then proceed on down the line grabbing all the tongs/handles that the next person has to touch).

Inconsiderate people who think they are above everyone else.  DH and I were on Liberty in December and had to go to Guest Services when we boarded.  There were two women ahead of us and could hear their discussion with the guest service representative.  They were friends travelling together and they had rooms down the hall way from each other.  They asked the person if there were any connecting room left to which they could switch.  The Guest Service person said no as it's a full ship.  Ok, I get that they must be new cruisers and so don't realize that you need to book specific staterooms at booking time, but then they proceeded to have the nerve to ask "Well, can you just move someone else?".  I mean, really???

1 hour ago, Sunny_D said:

2) People who just can’t wait til they get to a table and start eating as they’re moving along in the buffet line (last cruise even saw a woman lick salad dressing off her fingers and then proceed on down the line grabbing all the tongs/handles that the next person has to touch).

That's why I wish they'd go back to being severed in the buffet area, but I guess that defeats the buffet. If not that then have crew standing nearby to quickly remedy the problem ie changing out the tongs/handles OR maybe even 'quietly 'tell' (please go back on wash your hands) or help 'her' get the items she wants.

- Weak drinks

- Hard sell from Spa staff - I stated in an earlier thread that Mrs Fan (an introvert) will just not go anymore due to the haranguing of the staff (even after asking them not to on the front end). Sad that going to the Spa is a now a hassle and not a time of relaxation.

- Smoking "dude" who takes a big drag then comes in from the outside and blows his smoke inside - saw it happen on the last cruise. Same guy then just blew off the "Washie-Washie" attendant and refused to wash his hands at the Windjammer entrance.

3 hours ago, FSUFAN said:

- Hard sell from Spa staff - I stated in an earlier thread that Mrs Fan (an introvert) will just not go anymore due to the haranguing of the staff (even after asking them not to on the front end). Sad that going to the Spa is a now a hassle and not a time of relaxation.

I won’t go to the spa for the same reason. Navigator spa staff charged us full price for a port day special, argued that we didn’t ask for the deal ahead of time, and literally looked over my shoulder while I was writing in my tip and commented on it. On Allure, I had a staff member follow me continuing to pitch the same service despite me turning him down thrice. 

22 hours ago, Jax said:

It’s gotta be, room service trays left in hallways. They are a tripping hazard and can smell nasty.  A quick call to room service and they can be picked up.  

I had no idea you could call room service to do this! Very glad you posted this comment - I'm going to do that from now on!!!

Personal Speakers on the cruise ship or the cruise line beaches.  Especially bothersome is  if the music is loud and/or they leave it playing while they go in the water or explore the island. 

guest service staff who finish your question (incorrectly) before you complete your question.   Most recently guest service staff who acknowledge your complaint but don’t document it, which means it won’t be reviewed by the proper department for future cruises.

pushy people who push past on lines/elevators as if they own the ship (I’m sure the ship owner has more class though, so I’m not trying to insult them!😂)

The endless requests for a good score on the dining survey, especially bothersome when service is subpar.

49 minutes ago, Cactus527 said:

I had no idea you could call room service to do this! Very glad you posted this comment - I'm going to do that from now on!!!

This was something we also learned about on these boards. One major concern with not putting the trays out is that the hallways are so narrow, they can obstruct wheelchair users. 

E2852F6F-4136-4D38-8FF9-9C235CCD5C8C.jpeg

14 hours ago, BowTieBrigade said:

This was something we also learned about on these boards. One major concern with not putting the trays out is that the hallways are so narrow, they can obstruct wheelchair users. 

I left my plates inside my room one morning.  When I came back from breakfast, my plates were outside my room in the hallway.  It was my room attendant who put them there.

This happenned 2 separate evenings.

The main dining room was already so loud we had to raise our voices to hear each other, then the dining staff turned up the caribbean music, some of them started dancing, and then here's my peave... everyone started swinging/flailing/twirling their used napkins over their heads! I could practically feel a breeze of dirty air filled with saliva, lipstick, bread crumbs, and boogers. Thank you everyone!

Some of these replies are hilarious! 

I don’t think I have any pet peeves, I just sort of float along like a butterfly for a week.

That said, I did once take a cruise where the people on the balcony below us enjoyed standing out on their own balcony completely naked (not sitting, but leaning against the rail to see the scenery). Trying to explain to my kids why two grown men were nuding it up on full display of an entire side of the ship was an amazing experience. 😂

On 1/4/2023 at 7:30 PM, Censored said:

Im going to add  leaving your dirty dishes outside your room door.  YUCK.. who wants to walk by that ?  

People leaving their drinks finished or unfinished in the elevator floor or at the lobby.   And of course the big one total disregard for lines. 

I have always wondered about this and figured it was just protocol. 

On 1/4/2023 at 12:13 PM, WesKinetic said:

Not necessarily cruise-specific, but I seem to notice it more on cruises:  People who stand right in front of the elevator and move in as soon as it opens instead of waiting for people already in the elevator to get off. 

My kids used to do this all the time. It took many renditions of: “You can’t get on until they get off.” before it sunk in.😂

1 - When a hot tub is full and people still enter, squishing themselves in. The elevator is one thing, but a hot tub?

2- When people don't realize a bathroom stall is occupied and proceed to tug on the handle of every stall. If it is red, it is occupied. (Yes, sometimes the colors are not accurate, but I honestly prefer a knock than someone trying to barge in.)

3- Guest Relations line is always long no matter the time or day.

4- People grabbing food in the buffet with their hands.

5- When the elevator is too full and the people waiting push the up/down button before the elevator has a chance to leave, causing the doors to keep opening.

21 minutes ago, MelKaps said:

2- When people don't realize a bathroom stall is occupied and proceed to tug on the handle of every stall. If it is red, it is occupied. (Yes, sometimes the colors are not accurate, but I honestly prefer a knock than someone trying to barge in.)

I always laugh when someone tries a stall door, finds it locked, then knocks. 

On 1/9/2023 at 8:57 AM, MelKaps said:

3- Guest Relations line is always long no matter the time or day.

There's no line at 2AM when I swing by Guest Services from the Viking Crown Lounge.  But my problem is I'm too tired from the dancing, my brain doesn't remember why I needed to go to GS. lol

On 1/9/2023 at 8:57 AM, MelKaps said:

5- When the elevator is too full and the people waiting push the up/down button before the elevator has a chance to leave, causing the doors to keep opening.

On most ships I've been on, that feature seems to have been disabled.   People pushing the up/down buttons doesn't reopen the doors that have already started closing.

On 1/6/2023 at 5:24 AM, Xaa said:

Are you shooting for 3?  Anytime you visit a place owned by someone else, common courtesy says you follow their rules as their guest.  Having rules doesn't mean someone believes themselves to be king.  I like having you around.  Be the best guest you can be.

On 1/6/2023 at 5:24 AM, Xaa said:

Maybe I watch too much of Ricky Gervais?  You can try to be funny, with sarcastic tones , but in text , it does not come across the same way.So now the perception is you are breaking the rules and offensive.  

2 hours ago, MelKaps said:

I did this on a cruise once, most embarrassing moment of my cruise life (and likely the poor lady’s in the stall as well). You know how some stalls have a push button open that is conveniently located right above or below the button to open the general bathroom door? I didn’t know this was a thing, hit the wrong button, and could not for the life of me figure out what I’d done or how to undo it. The lady is nicely pleading with me to close the door, so I just stood to the side of it directing people away until it closed on its own. I still refuse to those buttons to this day, I’m way too nervous about repeating that experience.

2 hours ago, barjpoe said:

Sometimes I noticed that they have place a rep. at the begin of the line to GS to answer questions. Some a simple or quickly answered that they can take of, so that helps.

We have noticed that too and been fortunate to be assisted by the "helper."   Saves a few minutes and a great idea.