Ethnic breakfast items in Windjammer?

FManke

3 hours ago, fmanke said:

Well, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that we have something interesting from time to time, in Oct. I know that RC is going through a menu revamp, so maybe they will add a few new items to the WJ breakfast choices.

I sure hope so.  Their menus need to be refreshed.  They might not be so bad for those who travel with Royal occasionally, but after spending three weeks onboard each year of the past several years I'm ready for a change.

This isn't to say that the food is bad as I find it to be generally good.  I'd just like to see something new.

7 minutes ago, DocLC said:

I sure hope so.  Their menus need to be refreshed.  They might not be so bad for those who travel with Royal occasionally, but after spending three weeks onboard each year of the past several years I'm ready for a change.

This isn't to say that the food is bad as I find it to be generally good.  I'd just like to see something new.

"but after spending three weeks onboard each year of the past several years"......how can I get a job like that? I'm retired, on a fixed income and in good shape. Well, that's my opinion....she-who-must-be-obeyed doesn't agree with me on that last point.

2 hours ago, DocLC said:

Well never having cruised before, it will all be new to me!

3 hours ago, rjac said:

"but after spending three weeks onboard each year of the past several years"......how can I get a job like that? I'm retired, on a fixed income and in good shape. Well, that's my opinion....she-who-must-be-obeyed doesn't agree with me on that last point.

Careful budgeting, working extra to add to the "vacation" fund, and shopping diligently for the best airfare possible.  For example, we were able to fly roundtrip last summer to Europe for under $700 on British Airlines on an open-jaw ticket.  We also opt to cruise in the cheapest, midship, inside cabin as it is usually a couple of thousand less, which allows us to cruise more often.  On one cruise, we downgraded from a balcony cabin to an inside, and the savings was enough to pay for our week long cruise on the Liberty of the Seas.

On 5/4/2017 at 5:32 PM, rjac said:

Eggs, kimchi, rice and through in some veggies and beef/pork and you've got bebimbap......good stuff! When I was on active duty in the US Army, I had a one year tour of duty in Korea. Fell in deep, deep love with their food. Unfortunately there are no Korean restaurants where I live in NC. :40_rage:

Look around any military base.  I think there are about three Korean restaurants near Ft. Bragg / Fayetteville.

1 hour ago, BillHoo said:

Look around any military base.  I think there are about three Korean restaurants near Ft. Bragg / Fayetteville.

You're correct Bill. There are a boat load of Korean rest. around Ft. Bragg. I retired at Ft. Bragg over 20 years ago and enjoyed them. Unfortunately, here in New Bern the best we have is a small Korean/Japanese food store. Fayetteville is 2.5 hours away and we don't travel there. 

On 5/8/2017 at 6:19 PM, rjac said:

I retired at Ft. Bragg over 20 years ago

What's an Army guy doing in New Bern ?  That's Marine Corps turf !

??

My [X]husband and I were stationed there 3 times in the 80's and 90's.  I love coastal Carolina !

It's been almost 20 years for me too ! Yikes !  Time is just moving waaaytooo fast !

1 hour ago, fmanke said:

Thank you for your service, rjac!

16 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

What's an Army guy doing in New Bern ?  That's Marine Corps turf !

??

My [X]husband and I were stationed there 3 times in the 80's and 90's.  I love coastal Carolina !

It's been almost 20 years for me too ! Yikes !  Time is just moving waaaytooo fast !

fmanke, thank you. 

WAAAYTOO, I did have to take a language test so I could understand the Marines, but is all good. 

On 5/4/2017 at 4:59 PM, klaconqueso said:

Loooove kimchi and eggs! My stepdad is part Korean, so when I was younger we always had kimchi around the house. Eggs, kimchi, and rice was a popular breakfast at our house, and I still love it!

Why?!?!  Why has no one told me of this kimchi and eggs dish until now?  Why?!?  So many days of my life wasted.

1 hour ago, bcarney said:

Why?!?!  Why has no one told me of this kimchi and eggs dish until now?  Why?!?  So many days of my life wasted.

I would think that somewhere in Grand Ledge, or a larger city nearby, you might be able to find already prepared kimchi. Surely you can find eggs. Word of caution, kimchi is VERY fragrant and will stink up  your fridge and kitchen! But, it is worth it!

On 5/10/2017 at 4:43 PM, rjac said:

I would think that somewhere in Grand Ledge, or a larger city nearby, you might be able to find already prepared kimchi. Surely you can find eggs. Word of caution, kimchi is VERY fragrant and will stink up  your fridge and kitchen! But, it is worth it!

On the other side of Lansing is East Lansing, home of some fairly important university from what I understand.  I've been to two Korean restaurants there, and have purchased kimchi at a local market.  In fact there's a place near my house where the proprietor makes her own for sale, surely without the proper permits and such.  And it's fantastic. It's the marriage with eggs that is blowing my mind.

32 minutes ago, bcarney said:

On the other side of Lansing is East Lansing, home of some fairly important university from what I understand.  I've been to two Korean restaurants there, and have purchased kimchi at a local market.  In fact there's a place near my house where the proprietor makes her own for sale, surely without the proper permits and such.  And it's fantastic. It's the marriage with eggs that is blowing my mind.

Scrambled eggs are the perfect medium to add anything spicy to me. I've been know to heat up some dal mahkani and top it with some scrambled eggs with hot roti on the side. 

• 2 years later...