Ethnic breakfast items in Windjammer?

FManke

3 minutes ago, fmanke said:

New England and Canada in Oct, I don't know. Doesn't seem like a adventurous crowd, except us of course.

I doubt it, but you never know. I have seen some British breakfast items and others have reported Indian, but there's no way to know in advance. 

4 hours ago, fmanke said:

Do they serve ethnic items in the Windjammer for breakfast? Something besides the usual bacon and eggs? I like a variety of things for breakfast, not just what others would always consider breakfast items.

If there is a Johnny Rockets on board your ship, head over there for breakfast (it's complimentary). Great menu, I love the menu item called "The Works". A major calorie bomb but delicious as all get out!

One of the things I enjoyed about sailing out of Britain was the variety offered in both the WJ and MDR.  I had expected the same when sailing from Sweden. However, the majority of the passengers were British when sailing from Britain; however, the majority of the passengers sailing out of Sweden were U.S. As a result, the offerings were pretty benign as a result.

7 hours ago, rjac said:

If there is a Johnny Rockets on board your ship, head over there for breakfast (it's complimentary). Great menu, I love the menu item called "The Works". A major calorie bomb but delicious as all get out!

No luck on Serenade

2 minutes ago, fmanke said:

No luck on Serenade

True, but I had one of my best experiences at the Windjammer on the Serenade.  You'll be in for an extra special treat if Joseph is the Executive Sous Chef who is overseeing the Windjammer.  That's the ship that had made to order crepes, pancakes, waffles, etc.  The crepes and waffles were also made at dinner and served with ice cream and a variety of toppings.

1 minute ago, DocLC said:

True, but I had one of my best experiences at the Windjammer on the Serenade.  You'll be in for an extra special treat if Joseph is the Executive Sous Chef who is overseeing the Windjammer.  That's the ship that had made to order crepes, pancakes, waffles, etc.  The crepes and waffles were also made at dinner and served with ice cream and a variety of toppings.

Sounds good.

"Wait, are they really thin pancakes?"

" Oh my God, I love those!"

" They come with cheese, sometimes?"

"Oh, I love the crepe suzette!"

Love me some Ricky Bobby!

10 minutes ago, FLGooner said:

Baked Beans is a must for a British breakfast. I believe it's mandatory under an Act of Parliament passed in 1622, but I could be making that bit up :)

I guess it's good to start your morning off with a bang!:1_grinning:

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Matt said:

Generally the answer is no, but on Navigator of the Seas in Feb 2017, they had a wonderful breakfast curry that I ate entirely too much of every morning.

Allure GC had curry as well.  That was my first RCCL sailing, when I had no idea how cramped that WJ was...

11 hours ago, klaconqueso said:

Suddenly excited for breakfast curry in October. What kind was it? Dal? Chickpea?

I've only seen breakfast curry on Navigator. It was a potato based curry. Not sure exactly which kind (the sign just said breakfast curry).

54 minutes ago, Matt said:

I've only seen breakfast curry on Navigator. It was a potato based curry. Not sure exactly which kind (the sign just said breakfast curry).

Well just hoping for something beyond scrambled eggs and bacon. Although, I do like those items. Just looking for something different. I've been known to throw just about any leftover meat and such in an omelet!

59 minutes ago, Matt said:

That + a fried egg sounds like a delightful breakfast

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I remember on Allure specifically b/c on the other RCI cruises we sailed until Navi I always complained, "why don't they have curry in the morning like they did on Allure!?"  Larissa wasn't sick of that whining or anything.

38 minutes ago, Matt said:

Another international breakfast option on most RC ships is make-your-own miso soup.  I'm not sure why RC considers miso soup a breakfast food, but I'm not complaining!

Miso soup is a very popular breakfast in Japan. Have you ever seen kimchi on board an RC ship? I love the stuff! Goes great with scrambled eggs!

1 hour ago, fmanke said:

Miso soup is a very popular breakfast in Japan. Have you ever seen kimchi on board an RC ship? I love the stuff! Goes great with scrambled eggs!

Probably not much of a demand for kimchi on Caribbean cruises, plus the pungent smell could put a lot of folks off. Probably a staple on the Oriental cruises. I, too, enjoy kimche and miso soup. Haven't tried the kimche and scrambled eggs..yet. 

1 minute ago, rjac said:

Probably not much of a demand for kimchi on Caribbean cruises, plus the pungent smell could put a lot of folks off. Probably a staple on the Oriental cruises. I, too, enjoy kimche and miso soup. Haven't tried the kimche and scrambled eggs..yet. 

I guess if they don't have kimchi, they wouldn't have sauerkraut. Same thing, different countries. Love the fermented cabbage!

Probably best, being on a ship full of strangers! :10_wink:

21 minutes ago, fmanke said:

I guess if they don't have kimchi, they wouldn't have sauerkraut. Same thing, different countries. Love the fermented cabbage!

Probably best, being on a ship full of strangers! :10_wink:

Loooove kimchi and eggs! My stepdad is part Korean, so when I was younger we always had kimchi around the house. Eggs, kimchi, and rice was a popular breakfast at our house, and I still love it!

27 minutes ago, klaconqueso said:

Loooove kimchi and eggs! My stepdad is part Korean, so when I was younger we always had kimchi around the house. Eggs, kimchi, and rice was a popular breakfast at our house, and I still love it!

Eggs, kimchi, rice and through in some veggies and beef/pork and you've got bebimbap......good stuff! When I was on active duty in the US Army, I had a one year tour of duty in Korea. Fell in deep, deep love with their food. Unfortunately there are no Korean restaurants where I live in NC. :40_rage:

1 hour ago, rjac said:

Eggs, kimchi, rice and through in some veggies and beef/pork and you've got bebimbap......good stuff! When I was on active duty in the US Army, I had a one year tour of duty in Korea. Fell in deep, deep love with their food. Unfortunately there are no Korean restaurants where I live in NC. :40_rage:

I love it myself! There's a quick service Korean place in town that serves kimchi fries. French fries topped with melted cheese, spicy pork, kimchi and sour cream. Fantastic!

3 hours ago, rjac said:

Bibimbap is one of my favorite dishes in the world. Despite living in a suburban area with a million chain restaurants, I have an authentic Korean restaurant right down the street from my house that I love. There's also a chipotle-style bibimpab place that opened up like 10 minutes from my house and I am in love.

On ships that leave from the U.S., usually one of the smaller lines around the corner (which are often missed) will have stewed tomatoes (which are so good with scrambled eggs - the Brits got that right for sure), maybe some hot rice pudding and a curry.  I've seen blood sausages.  You have to search for it, but it's usually there.  Sometimes they have a small sign that says "International".  As long as we're talking about Windjammer breakfast, I wish they'd have more tropical fruits like passion fruit, mango, papaya and guava.  Especially when we are in the Caribbean.  

12 hours ago, cruise-y said:

On ships that leave from the U.S., usually one of the smaller lines around the corner (which are often missed) will have stewed tomatoes (which are so good with scrambled eggs - the Brits got that right for sure), maybe some hot rice pudding and a curry.  I've seen blood sausages.  You have to search for it, but it's usually there.  Sometimes they have a small sign that says "International".  As long as we're talking about Windjammer breakfast, I wish they'd have more tropical fruits like passion fruit, mango, papaya and guava.  Especially when we are in the Caribbean.  

Oo... now that sounds good. Breakfast curry with a fried egg and a side of pineapple and mango.

On 5/4/2017 at 1:34 PM, Matt said:

Another international breakfast option on most RC ships is make-your-own miso soup.  I'm not sure why RC considers miso soup a breakfast food, but I'm not complaining!

They had miso soup for breakfast on Mariner of the Seas when it was in Galveston....not much asian at all on Liberty of the Seas.  :38_worried:

50 minutes ago, widallas said:

They had miso soup for breakfast on Mariner of the Seas when it was in Galveston....not much asian at all on Liberty of the Seas.  :38_worried:

I guess they base it on the ethnic make up of the cruise, to a certain extent. I would always welcome some cultural diversity when it comes to food selections. But that's just me. I can get scrambled eggs and bacon anytime at home at Denny's.

20 minutes ago, fmanke said:

I guess they base it on the ethnic make up of the cruise, to a certain extent.

They definitely do. I've taken two cruises with Royal in Europe over the past two summers and the offerings were markedly different based on the makeup of the passengers. On one cruise, the majority of the passengers were British, so there were tea kettles in every room and British dishes available on the menu and in the WJ. The next summer to the Baltics, the majority of passengers were from North America and hence no tea kettles and no ethnic dishes except for the theme nights in the WJ.