A Suggestion From The Peanut Gallery....

bobroo

While the White House is currently obsessed with deregulating government and/or business for the sake of grabbing headlines. And, while there is seemingly no price tag too high for Royal to put something into it's shopping cart.

PLEASE Royal take this unique point in time and get together with the other cruise companies do all of yourselves a favor by either repealing or amending the Jones Act.

The sooner the better.

24 minutes ago, bobroo said:

While the White House is currently obsessed with deregulating government and/or business for the sake of grabbing headlines. And, while there is seemingly no price tag too high for Royal to put something into it's shopping cart.

PLEASE Royal take this unique point in time and get together with the other cruise companies do all of yourselves a favor by either repealing or amending the Jones Act.

The sooner the better.

And what is that for us uninformed?

What we (the hopelessly addicted cruising community and cruise lines) would benefit from are the loosening of requirements such as mandatorily going to a foreign port, issues of beginning a cruise in one US city and ending in another US city, and a lot of customs nonsense.

What the opportunity here is that companies like Royal could offer US only itineraries, cruises on the Great Lakes, and "cruises to nowhere"; definitely opening up other revenue streams.

Convenient for us US residents but attractive to foreign travelers as well. Who wouldn't want to take a Gulf Coast cruise from say Galveston to Tampa? A cruise on the Great Lakes? A ride on the Eastern Seaboard? A couple nights on a ship to "get outta Dodge" for the weekend that leaves out of LA, New York, Cleveland, Chicago, Norfolk, or Charleston. Sailing out and making a U-turn and coming right back?

25 minutes ago, fmanke said:

And what is that for us uninformed?

In a very un-detailed nutshell this is wht foreign flagged ships cannot transport in the US from one port to another without stopping at a "distant" foreign port.  

"Distant" meaning Europe, Asia, South America, or the ABC Islands.

A lot more to it than that, but thats why Alaska one-way sailings are between Seward and Vancouver, not Seattle.  Or why repositioning sailings from one US homeport to another go and stop at one of the ABC's or Cartegena, Columbia.

Also why NCL had to flag one of their ships in the US (at a huge financial operating cost) to sail solely within the Hawaian Islands without having to sail all the way to Kirabati for a stop (the closest foreign soil)

12 minutes ago, bobroo said:

What we (the hopelessly addicted cruising community and cruise lines) would benefit from are the loosening of requirements such as mandatorily going to a foreign port, issues of beginning a cruise in one US city and ending in another US city, and a lot of customs nonsense.

What the opportunity here is that companies like Royal could offer US only itineraries, cruises on the Great Lakes, and "cruises to nowhere"; definitely opening up other revenue streams.

Convenient for us US residents but attractive to foreign travelers as well. Who wouldn't want to take a Gulf Coast cruise from say Galveston to Tampa? A cruise on the Great Lakes? A ride on the Eastern Seaboard? A couple nights on a ship to "get outta Dodge" for the weekend that leaves out of LA, New York, Cleveland, Chicago, Norfolk, or Charleston. Sailing out and making a U-turn and coming right back?

I would love to cruise out of Chicago.  The great lakes are a lot bigger than people think.  

34 minutes ago, PRC said:

The PVSA is a lot more than what we cruisers refer to as the Jones act.  I agree it is out dated and serves no purpose, but that one would take years to unravel...

Any change in any federal legislation takes a lot of money and effort. But the way things are in Washington today, changing the PVSA/ Jones Act would happen a lot faster than the time for cruise lines to implement the new opportunities. 

The imaginary itineraries I've brought up would take a few years till sailings might begin.

4 hours ago, bobroo said:

HEY! HEY! HEY! 

I'm from the Northwest 'burbs and any RCL sailings out of Chicago--the line starts in back of me! ;0)

That's fine...you gave me great advice about chefs table on adventure...i will let you trailblaze and give us all the tips!  Wouldn't it be great to skip airfare though....one can dream!   Jane