First time ever cruising in Alaska

ruhtra09

I agree with @Ryan79.  There are shore excursions that will get you close to a glacier - either by boat or by helicopter.  I had so much fun in the ports.  I would especially recommend the Alaska Scenic White Pass Railroad in Skagway or biking downhill (Don't remember the port).  Finally, whether or not you are into fishing, late June is the start of salmon fishing.  Another great shore excursion. 

22 hours ago, FireFishII said:

I agree with @Ryan79.  There are shore excursions that will get you close to a glacier - either by boat or by helicopter.  I had so much fun in the ports.  I would especially recommend the Alaska Scenic White Pass Railroad in Skagway or biking downhill (Don't remember the port).  Finally, whether or not you are into fishing, late June is the start of salmon fishing.  Another great shore excursion. 

I also recommend any shore excursion that involves sled dogs (if you like dogs). My husband and I ended up doing two of these excursions in different ports because we loved snuggling with the puppies so much!

30 minutes ago, Cactus527 said:

I also recommend any shore excursion that involves sled dogs (if you like dogs). My husband and I ended up doing two of these excursions in different ports because we loved snuggling with the puppies so much!

Do you remember which ones you did?  We are planning a combo excursion in Skagway (train, gold panning, sled dogs) but also considering one in Anchorage.  What did you like about yours?

12 minutes ago, Va4fam said:

Do you remember which ones you did?  We are planning a combo excursion in Skagway (train, gold panning, sled dogs) but also considering one in Anchorage.  What did you like about yours?

We did one in Skagway and another in Anchorage (different cruise line). The one in Skagway was super fun because the dogs pull you sleg-dog style in a golf cart! We laughed the entire way through that one. The one in Anchorage was basically a show about sled dogs, what they do, how they're trained, and a meet & greet with the dogs and some puppies. Both places noted that they love having cruise guests handle the puppies because it gets the dogs used to people and being handled. I liked that neither excursion was super long, there weren't a ton of people around, and it was super interesting to learn about the whole operation.

The first two photos are from Skagway, the puppies are from Anchorage. Hope this helps!

SANY0241_hq.JPG

IMG_4184_hq.JPG

IMG_4281_hq.JPG

• ruhtra09 changed the title to First time ever cruising in Alaska