Why doesn't RC cruise here?

FManke

Why doesn't RC cruise here?

With all the varied ports of call that RC cruises to, which ports of call are they missing?

Where would you like them to cruise to and/or from?

I've already chosen mine, Chicago! I'd love to save the airfare! :10_wink:

19 minutes ago, fmanke said:

I wish they would go out of Charleston, SC.....I know Carnival Cruise launches from there...it would be a lot closer to NC that to traveling to Florida, Baltimore or New Jersey.

And for those of us in the Mid-Atlantic, more options that are only a day trip away would definitely be a plus ..... living in Maryland, the options that won't incur an airline are Baltimore & Newark --- Having Charleston would be a a viable "drive to" option.

1 hour ago, jce2 said:

I find it totally inacceptable and a violation of my constitutional rights that no cruise lines sail from my city! ........ Colorado Springs

I agree! There's even springs in the name of your city! There has to be water nearby!:10_wink:

1 hour ago, Stephanie said:

I wish they would cruise RT from Honolulu.  I want to cruise Hawaii, but I don't want to be at sea for 4 days sailing out of Vancouver to get there!

They would need to have a US flagged ship or lobby to get the current legislation changed. That's why there's cruelty a requirement for all cruises of a foreign port stop and why cruises to nowhere have gone away. 

NCL America once had three US flagged vessels; they're down to one as it was financially feasible. The Norwegian Sky is the previous Pride of Aloha, hence her hull art. 

How can I get a cruise ship to Dallas Texas? Talk about landlocked. We do have the Trinity River where you can't get a rowboat down, no one goes near the Trinity because too many unidentified floating objects. I am four hours from Houston and won't drive because Houston traffic rivals Los Angeles traffic.

Candie

Obviously Los Angeles, San Francisco and San Diego come to mind. Also it would be nice if there was a regular Hawaii->South Pacific-Sydney itinerary.(There is a repositioning cruise that does it but nothing regular). Basically having a ship go back and forth during the summer would be great... I'd certainly be on it. 

OH.  My.  Gosh.

I would literally explode if RC ported a ship here.

I'm 10 minutes from the terminal; I wonder how hard it would be to castaway....

Then again, the thought of being able to visit Paducah is intriguing.  Of course, I'd have to wear my Tar Heel gear!!!

On 4/20/2017 at 11:25 AM, mworkman said:

I wish they would go out of Charleston, SC.....I know Carnival Cruise launches from there...it would be a lot closer to NC that to traveling to Florida, Baltimore or New Jersey.

On our last visit to Charleston for the Carnival cruise, word had it that Charleston doesn't want ANY cruise lines in their harbor.  I guess they don't want tourist business soiling their city.  

4 minutes ago, WHStoneman said:

On our last visit to Charleston for the Carnival cruise, word had it that Charleston doesn't want ANY cruise lines in their harbor.  I guess they don't want tourist business soiling their city.  

Well, the port is actually about 3-4 blocks (very easy walking) from South Front Street where the famous Market Street Market is located. And short walks to all the other really nice eating/drinking/shopping places in the historic district of Charleston. I can understand why the city doesn't want any cruise ships in their port, if in fact that is true. We have been to Charleston many times and stayed a couple of days or a week at our time share unit on Church Street. I can tell you that during the spring, fall and Christmas season, they don't need any cruise ship tourists! 

On 4/20/2017 at 6:50 PM, DocLC said:

They would need to have a US flagged ship or lobby to get the current legislation changed. That's why there's cruelty a requirement for all cruises of a foreign port stop and why cruises to nowhere have gone away. 

I though a while back some cruise line sailed around the Hawaiian islands and did a quick pop down to some sandbar that is part of the Marquesas Islands to fulfill that requirement?

Royal should keep the small ships, and deploy them at smaller ports - you know, the ones that Carnival manages to make a profit from.  New Orleans, Mobile, Charleston, Jacksonville Fl, etc. and build a customer base that way.  Many people (like me) are just about done paying for the high cost of flying (family of 4), and it's to the point where I have to choose whether or not to cruise based on the cost to get to the ship in the first place.

2 hours ago, bcarney said:

Royal should keep the small ships, and deploy them at smaller ports - you know, the ones that Carnival manages to make a profit from.  New Orleans, Mobile, Charleston, Jacksonville Fl, etc. and build a customer base that way.  Many people (like me) are just about done paying for the high cost of flying (family of 4), and it's to the point where I have to choose whether or not to cruise based on the cost to get to the ship in the first place.

I agree with you. I think there is room for smaller ships as you mentioned. If you want to expand your customer base you need to diversify. Not every one wants to cruise on mega ships. There are a lot of companies out there providing cruises to places that RC won't or can't go to because of the size of their ships. And if you have ever looked at those cruises, they are not cheap. So in some cases, price is not the only driving force. More choices mean more customers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2017 at 4:15 PM, bcarney said:

I'd love to get a ship in Jacksonville. I don't see why RCcouldnt put a smaller ship here. I have ZERO desire to ever sail Carnival. Several friends have sailed on the one out of Jax and it was just "gross."

If they'd move our terminal closer to the ocean, we could take bigger ships.  We already are a full fledge port that brings in container ships almost as big as Oasis class. The cruise port however is further down the St Johns river and they've got to go under a bridge and the river is not as deep. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 6:47 PM, klaconqueso said:

Oh, yeah you're right! 

Bring on EMPRESS OF THE RIVER! 

When we sailed out of New Orleans, the ship sailed partially on the Mississippi River...so why couldn't we do the Ohio River?? (I'm from Dayton:1_grinning:)

On 4/20/2017 at 5:13 PM, Stephanie said:

I wish they would cruise RT from Honolulu.  I want to cruise Hawaii, but I don't want to be at sea for 4 days sailing out of Vancouver to get there!

We did this a few years ago (out of Ensenada, Mexico to Hawaii).  The sea days were great.

On 4/27/2017 at 3:15 PM, bcarney said:

I agree 100%.  I've loved many of my cruises to the southern tip of the Caribbean but the connecting flights have killed us.  When we left from Granada my hubby's luggage was lost for most of the entire cruise.  When we left from Puerto Rico ditto - both ways.  Plus, once our luggage was finally found, it had been robbed (Miami seems to be the common denominator here.). On another cruise out of Florida we got bumped (due to the cheap cruise air package), but our luggage went merrily on its way of course.

The alternative for us is to drive and cruise out of Houston.  Convenient, cheaper  - but it's getting really boring and there are WAY less options.  I'd gladly drive to NOLA or Mobile for something different.

You know what sort of surprises me .... there are no cruises out of Florida ports to Bermuda ..... If Anthem and Grandeur can do cruises that combine Bermuda and the Bahamas, you would think cruises out of Florida could do the same thing, only it would be a somewhat reversed itinerary.

• 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I live in Houston and we do have RCL ships sailing out of nearby Galveston. Unfortunately, those Galveston RCL cruises have very limited itineraries. I would like to see the ships sail to the Southern Caribbean or the Panama Canal or other stops like Dominica. I find myself flying to Miami for a cruise departure just to get some different destinations.

On 4/20/2017 at 6:50 PM, DocLC said:

NCL America once had three US flagged vessels; they're down to one as it was financially feasible. The Norwegian Sky is the previous Pride of Aloha, hence her hull art. 

We did several cruises to nowhere out of New York/Brooklyn and loved them. Wish the policy could be changed  

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Customs-says-cruises-to-nowhere-were-never-legal

6 hours ago, kontraxed said:

I live in Houston and we do have RCL ships sailing out of nearby Galveston. Unfortunately, those Galveston RCL cruises have very limited itineraries. I would like to see the ships sail to the Southern Caribbean or the Panama Canal or other stops like Dominica. I find myself flying to Miami for a cruise departure just to get some different destinations.

I’m in Houston as well, and agree with you. 

On 4/20/2017 at 11:25 AM, mworkman said:

City of Charleston does NOT want any more cruise ships.   The prominent local blue hairs are upset with the noise of the ships horns.   Charleston would just as soon get rid of Carnival as we learned on our last departure.  

On 4/26/2017 at 1:37 PM, tiny260 said:

I would like to see RC cruise the Mexican Riviera out of LA or San Diego,  now it's mostly Carnival or Princess.

I loved our Mexican Riviera cruise on the Mariner out of LA.  Not only because it was something different, but also because it was super cheap with 3 price drops.  That is the reason they aren't there anymore.  They couldn't get enough revenue out of that market.