Onboard credit - how does it work?

BillHoo

So my booking company says that I am getting $500 onboard cash or spending credit.

I also just applied for the Royal Caribbean Visa card which will get me up to $175 onboard cash.

How does that work?  Are they notified by the travel or credit company that I have these?

Or do I have to bring a voucher, or apply for them on boarding?  How do I spend them?  As I go along or when I take care of the final bill before leaving?

Your travel agent will have the OBC applied to your reservation, so it should be applied to your account by the end of day 1.

I don't have the RC Visa card, but I believe you need to redeem the points for OBC, and then go through the process of linking the points you redeemed to your reservation.

58 minutes ago, BillHoo said:

So my booking company says that I am getting $500 onboard cash or spending credit.

I also just applied for the Royal Caribbean Visa card which will get me up to $175 onboard cash.

How does that work?  Are they notified by the travel or credit company that I have these?

Or do I have to bring a voucher, or apply for them on boarding?  How do I spend them?  As I go along or when I take care of the final bill before leaving?

Bill,

I got the RC credit cards years ago and so did my wife. If you are married, have wife also apply for the credit card. That's a total of $350 on board credit! And with the current promotion, I think it's very easy to charge $1,100 on the new cards.  

Here's a link where you can "cash in" your rewards points for OBC, good luck! https://www.managerewardsonline.com/RMSapp/Ctl/entry?pid=grprwd&mc=RCCL

Hi everyone,

So I also have a question regarding the OBC. Do you need to have the points earned prior to final payment or only prior to the sailing. I was thinking of applying for an RCCL visa simply for the purpose of the OBC. I am sailing in October. I won't have a problem making the required amount of purchase in the 3 month time frame stipulated in the card conditions but possibly won't prior to July 16th when final payment is due. Will that matter, does anyone know? I did try calling the 800 number but the young lady with whom I spoke had a thick accent and seemed to answer conflicting questions with the same answer which had me confused. Plus she was saying a whole of 'I think' and 'I believe'....:35_thinking:

28 minutes ago, smpoole813 said:

Hi everyone,

So I also have a question regarding the OBC. Do you need to have the points earned prior to final payment or only prior to the sailing. I was thinking of applying for an RCCL visa simply for the purpose of the OBC. I am sailing in October. I won't have a problem making the required amount of purchase in the 3 month time frame stipulated in the card conditions but possibly won't prior to July 16th when final payment is due. Will that matter, does anyone know? I did try calling the 800 number but the young lady with whom I spoke had a thick accent and seemed to answer conflicting questions with the same answer which had me confused. Plus she was saying a whole of 'I think' and 'I believe'....:35_thinking:

The RC visa card is a Bank Of America credit card and has nothing to do with the final payment on your October cruise. When my wife and I applied for our separate RC credit cards we did not even have a cruise booked. Go for it! Both you and your wife should apply for separate cards that way you will a total of $350 OBC. Of course you both will have to make the required charges on your shiny new RC credit card!

My wife and I both got these cards a while back (should have waited- was only $100 OBC each then). The points are put on to your statement after your spending eligibility. Then you can each go on line to redeem the points. Make sure to reference your reservation number. The credit card company had said they usually notify Royal Caribbean the month before your sail date. Our OBC showed up today for our May cruise.

On a great note, Royal now lets us use the OBC to pay for reservations on Cruise Planner!