Packing for two weeks on a ship?

KLA

Hello, cruising fans! Long time, no see! (Mostly, I've just been avoiding the urge to book something before October)

In October, I'll be spending two weeks on board Allure of the Seas (B2B)!! I've never spent longer than 5 days on a cruise ship, so this will be a very different experience for me. I also imagine packing will take a little bit more strategy. I know the usual tips (over the door hanger, magnets, etc), but I was wondering if cruising veterans might have any additional advice on things to pack for longer trips that less experienced cruisers may not consider on a long cruise?

I'm not sure about what extra items to pack, but our last cruise to Alaska (7 days + an extra day in Seattle) required strategic packing b/c I was having to take pretty bulky items.  And, since you can't bring an iron or steamer on board, I did a lot of research on packing strategies.  I rolled my t-shirts, shorts and dresses and put them in ziplock bags to be able to compress them without getting wrinkles.  I also rolled our jeans and sweatshirts.  It worked like a charm!  I also learned little tricks like stuffing socks inside your tennis shoes so you have no wasted space in your suitcase.

We did 2 weeks B2B last year on the Allure. We brought a couple of 3 oz plastic bottles of laundry detergent for the uh, you know, "unmentionables". Extra hangers, but then found out from our room steward that he could provide some for us. Brand new hair shampoo, conditioner and bar of soap. 

The Allure was great. It took us the first weeks just to "learn" the ship. Be sure to book your entertainment on line as soon as you can, the shows are fantastic!

1 minute ago, rjac said:

We did 2 weeks B2B last year on the Allure. We brought a couple of 3 oz plastic bottles of laundry detergent for the uh, you know, "unmentionables". Extra hangers, but then found out from our room steward that he could provide some for us. Brand new hair shampoo, conditioner and bar of soap. 

The Allure was great. It took us the first weeks just to "learn" the ship. Be sure to book your entertainment on line as soon as you can, the shows are fantastic!

Ah! This is exactly what I'm looking for - thanks! 

What are your top rated 'must see' shows? Should we see everything the first week and then re-book the things we really like the second week, or spread things out?

16 minutes ago, Stephanie said:

I'm not sure about what extra items to pack, but our last cruise to Alaska (7 days + an extra day in Seattle) required strategic packing b/c I was having to take pretty bulky items.  And, since you can't bring an iron or steamer on board, I did a lot of research on packing strategies.  I rolled my t-shirts, shorts and dresses and put them in ziplock bags to be able to compress them without getting wrinkles.  I also rolled our jeans and sweatshirts.  It worked like a charm!  I also learned little tricks like stuffing socks inside your tennis shoes so you have no wasted space in your suitcase.

Love those packing tips - I travel frequently for work and do the rolling method. Packing cubes have been super helpful for that! 

Just now, klaconqueso said:

Ah! This is exactly what I'm looking for - thanks! 

What are your top rated 'must see' shows? Should we see everything the first week and then re-book the second week, or spread things out?

The three shows are Mamma Mia, Ocean Aria and The Blue Planet. Book them for both weeks and if you don't enjoy them the second week, don't go to the show. Hey, they're free, but you know that! The Comedy show can be pretty entertaining IF the comedian is good. 

1 minute ago, rjac said:

The three shows are Mamma Mia, Ocean Aria and The Blue Planet. Book them for both weeks and if you don't enjoy them the second week, don't go to the show. Hey, they're free, but you know that! The Comedy show can be pretty entertaining IF the comedian is good. 

Is there a different comedian both weeks, or is it typically the same person? I saw that the comedy shows book up very quickly. 

4 minutes ago, rjac said:

From what I remember they change them. 

Cool! I'll definitely book that for both weeks then. 

I kind of sort of don't really want to book Mama Mia.. buuuuuut if it's free...

Just now, rjac said:

You know, they do serve drinks in the theater, so, don't be surprised if yourself dancing in the aisle!

I would be shocked if that was a case... I am not a fan of ABBA! I was hoping it'd swap to Grease or something before October!

6 minutes ago, klaconqueso said:

I would be shocked if that was a case... I am not a fan of ABBA! I was hoping it'd swap to Grease or something before October!

Matt made a post awhile back about changing shows on the Oasis class ships. These shows are quite a production withe the sets, cast costumes, lights, music, etc. Because of that RC doesn't swap them out very often. 

7 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

I wonder if you picked up a few of those vacuum seal bags, if that would help.  I know we use them at home when switching from warm weather to cool weather clothing and THEY ARE AMAZING IN TERMS OF HOW MUCH SPACE IS SAVED!!!!

Wait, so how would we re-vacuum everything on board?

3 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

Oooops ----

Here's a classic example of me not thinking an idea through.... :4_joy::4_joy::4_joy:

I wonder if your cabin steward would be able to help you out on that one?

HAHA! Or just steal one of the cute little smiley face vacuums from the hallway...

1 hour ago, klaconqueso said:

Can't fool you, now can we? Here's another idea. Just bring enough t-shirts to wear during the day on the first week. Throw them in the trash and buy new ones on board on day 6 (many, many sales) for the second week!:10_wink:

1 minute ago, rjac said:

Can't fool you, now can we? Here's another idea. Just bring enough t-shirts to wear during the day on the first week. Throw them in the trash and buy new ones on board on day 6 (many, many sales) for the second week!:10_wink:

HAHAHAA ! I like your style. We probably will have to grab at least one $10 t shirt. ;) 

We were thinking we would do the $30 laundry bag to toss a few things in (some sundresses, shirts, shorts, etc) and do what we could with some detergent in the room on turnaround day while everyone is hectic and running around the ship and we've already been around for a while. 

We figure no one will remember our formal stuff in between weeks... as long as we don't spill wine all over ourselves or something.

3 minutes ago, klaconqueso said:

HAHAHAA ! I like your style. We probably will have to grab at least one $10 t shirt. ;) 

We were thinking we would do the $30 laundry bag to toss a few things in (some sundresses, shirts, shorts, etc) and do what we could with some detergent in the room on turnaround day while everyone is hectic and running around the ship and we've already been around for a while. 

We figure no one will remember our formal stuff in between weeks... as long as we don't spill wine all over ourselves or something.

Just so you know, on turn around day you will have to get off the ship and have a new sea pass card made at the port facility. But, you do not have stand in line with the new cruisers. I think we had to get off the ship like 10:00 a.m. Took about 45 minutes. The only painful part was there were no bars in the port facility!

8 minutes ago, rjac said:

Just so you know, on turn around day you will have to get off the ship and have a new sea pass card made at the port facility. But, you do not have stand in line with the new cruisers. I think we had to get off the ship like 10:00 a.m. Took about 45 minutes. The only painful part was there were no bars in the port facility!

We were planning on walking off the ship for the day to meet a friend for some beers nearby - what would that process look like?

The port in Ft. Lauderdale is just that, a very huge port. I've sailed in and out of there many times and have yet to see a place nearby for a beer within walking distance. Plus the security getting into the port is very well enforced. Are your friends going to meet you at the ship terminal and take you someplace? That would work.  Just make sure you do the new sea pass card like I mentioned before. I do not recommend your friends come with a tailgate party in mind at the port. Again, the security thing, plus a lot of port workers hanging around not to mention the sea gulls!

2 hours ago, rjac said:

The port in Ft. Lauderdale is just that, a very huge port. I've sailed in and out of there many times and have yet to see a place nearby for a beer within walking distance. Plus the security getting into the port is very well enforced. Are your friends going to meet you at the ship terminal and take you someplace? That would work.  Just make sure you do the new sea pass card like I mentioned before. I do not recommend your friends come with a tailgate party in mind at the port. Again, the security thing, plus a lot of port workers hanging around not to mention the sea gulls!

HAHA! No worries - our friend happens to be an experienced cruiser and knows the routine. :) We're being picked up at the port to visit Funky Buddha. 

So once we get our new seapass cards, we can just "boop" off the ship like any other port?

4 hours ago, klaconqueso said:

Here's what I decided to use for our 12 night cruise and a few pre and post days: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M62ENQR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_hifF1UZUv8tWf

On cruises longer than a week, I just plan on using the laundry bag option for socks, underwear, and t shirts. I figure $25-$30 is worth it. 

5 hours ago, klaconqueso said:

Personally, I think Mamma Mia is the lamest storyline ever and while the production itself is very professional, I only barely tolerated it.  It was better than Cats but nowhere nearly as good as Grease.

You will probably want to see MM once but certainly not the second week, IMO.

6 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Personally, I think Mamma Mia is the lamest storyline ever and while the production itself is very professional, I only barely tolerated it.  It was better than Cats but nowhere nearly as good as Grease.

This is good advice, and about what I expected. I figured we'd sit close to the back and we could slip out halfway if we need to. 

Ocean Aria is a must-see show.  I would book spots for both weeks in case they cancel one of the shows due to weather since it is performed outdoors.  

If you cannot find an open lounger on the top sundeck, check out all the way to the end of Deck 14 Forward.  They have a few loungers there and is seldom used.  It is right below the Solarium. 

Also, I like using packing cubes for travelling.  Easy to identify and access to items.  

Hope you enjoyed your cruise!  

Edited by jurrjurr

2 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Well, WaaaTooo, you are OFF my Christmas mailing List!

Packing for a 2 week cruise:

Yet another instance where I am thankful for my "Y" chromosome!

seriously... pack for 1 week and re-use... 99.9% of the people on week #2 will not have seen you on week #1. (full disclosure, I suggested that to my wife back in the day and I just got "the look")

13 hours ago, DocLC said:

Here's what I decided to use for our 12 night cruise and a few pre and post days: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M62ENQR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_hifF1UZUv8tWf

On cruises longer than a week, I just plan on using the laundry bag option for socks, underwear, and t shirts. I figure $25-$30 is worth it. 

Socks??? Who wears socks on a cruise? Underwear and t-shirts, ok. But socks?