Live Bands

When we sailed to the Caribbean in 2013 on Jewel of the Seas, there were bands playing live music all over the ship.  We had a blast listening to the music and watching people dance.  On our Alaska cruise last September on Explorer, there wasn't nearly as much live music.  The ship wasn't really laid out for dancing and bands.  We wondered if it was just a different vibe, too - Caribbean vs. Alaska.

We'll be sailing on Anthem next month to Bermuda.  Does anyone know if there's a lot of live music on Anthem?

Was your 2013 trip on the Jewel a chartered music cruise?  There are companies out there (sixthman.com for one) doing just that.  They are booking every genre of music you can think of with about 20 acts on board.  There is an annual Rock Boat Cruise, oldies cruises, Southern Rock, Country Music cruises, Barenaked Ladies is scheduling another, ect.  They give the regular entertainment staff the week off and then rock the socks off the passengers.

I've been on three such cruises.  Two of them were amazing.  Ships and Dips l & lll were headlined by the Barenaked Ladies.  The lineup was amazing.  There was music about 20 hours a day.  BNL took an 8 X 10 photo with every party as they boarded the ship and gave a copy to each passenger of their photo.  Not only did they play two full length concerts during the cruise, they appeared multiple times each day.  Don't even ask me about the Barenaked at Sea photo on this family forum!  But you can google it.

In the sail away concert on the pool deck, they said that they were on board with their families.  They asked for privacy when seen with their families, but asked the passengers to approach to say hello, pose for a photo, or ask for an autograph when they weren't with family.  

The undercard was just great.  In fact, the band, Gaelic Storm, has become an absolute favorite of most of my family and many of our friends.  We now see them regularly when they are close by and have occasionally traveled to see them in Dallas or Chicago with other family members.  Gaelic Storm s great for so many reasons.  One of them is that after every show the entire band comes from back stage and poses for photos, converses with the fans, and signs autographs.  They know many of the fans who see them often, and that is the case with my family.  In fact, at one Indy show a couple of years ago, their merchandise people showed up late, and Patrick asked me to run the merchandise table for until the people showed up, which they did just before the show.

But to answer your question, I don't think you will have that experience on a regularly scheduled cruise.  In fact, I'm not sure how you booked such a cruise without knowing it the first time.

No, it wasn't anything like that.  They were RC bands that played cover music.  I think there were 3 or 4 different bands, and it just seemed like they were always playing somewhere (not just in the Schooner Bar) - the pool deck, the centrium, etc.  It was really fun.  The Alaska cruise had a couple of bands, but they were generally in the bars except during the party on deck as we set sail the first day.

I was on Jewel in 2013 and noticed lots of live music too. In fact, I've found all cruises in Caribbean to feature a lot of live music.

I haven't taken an Alaska cruise yet, but I've been on Voyager class ships a lot and felt there was lots of live music. Granted, if it's not pool weather, the music is relegated to spaces inside.

Each evening in the Cruise Compass is a section that shows where the live music will be.

live-music.jpg