Global Entry

14Terry

Hi! DW and I applied for GE in August. We were fortunate to get an interview in early December (2 hr drive from our home). The interview lasted less than 10 minutes (photo/fingerprinting/ answering various questions). We received our cards in the mail, one day prior to departing on our current trip to Japan 🙂. We were able to use TSA pre-check for this trip and that was great! Was wondering if others had any experiences they’d like to share with GE. 

Best $100 I've spent in a very long time. Construction in the Customs/Immigration area in Seattle a few years back. Wouldn't even let us off the plane, it was so crowded, and the estimate was 45 minutes before we could even enter the building. But as the agent was leaving the aircraft after sharing the news with us, he says "oh, unless you have Global Entry. You guys can come with me right now". 

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2023 at 8:18 PM, Baked Alaska said:

We've had TSA Pre✅ for about 18 months. Do we have to wait for our Pre ✅ to expire or can we get Global Entry now?

No. You can apply for GE et any time. But, be aware that the approval delay is now more than 8 months. I applied and paid in November 22. Still no tentative approval. More, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Edited by rjweber3
Added information.

3 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Does this mean you can't use Global Entry at Heathrow returning to the United States?  I don't see them on the list.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/airports-with-kiosks

When I first got my GE several years ago the agent then told me if there are no kiosks then looks for GE signs or a GE lane at the regular area.  

Having said that, when I flew from Heathrow at the start of the pandemic there wasn't full preclearance like you get at the kiosk airports listed above.  We landed in Dallas and everyone on the plane was dumped into the same area where you had to hunt for the GE area.  

13 minutes ago, twangster said:

When I first got my GE several years ago the agent then told me if there are no kiosks then looks for GE signs or a GE lane at the regular area.  

Having said that, when I flew from Heathrow at the start of the pandemic there wasn't full preclearance like you get at the kiosk airports listed above.  We landed in Dallas and everyone on the plane was dumped into the same area where you had to hunt for the GE area.  

Do you think it's worth it then (if we're only going to London)?

16 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Do you think it's worth it then (if we're only going to London)?

GE comes with TSA Precheck.  That alone may make it worth it.

Most US airports with large numbers of international arrivals can be extremely busy.   Even if there are no kiosks there can be great value in GE.  If you have a long layover and don't mind long queues then GE is not required.  

22 minutes ago, twangster said:

GE comes with TSA Precheck.  That alone may make it worth it.

Most US airports with large numbers of international arrivals can be extremely busy.   Even if there are no kiosks there can be great value in GE.  If you have a long layover and don't mind long queues then GE is not required.  

Thanks for the advice!!  That helps a lot.

GE is a US Customs & Border control  managed  program for entry into US entry areas.  So helps when you return from a non-US point of travel to US territory entry point.  It includes TSA pre-check, but it's actually a Customs & Border control program.   Had it for awhile, but when overseas travel diminished I just went to TSA precheck.  But GE works really well.  TSA pre-check is actually more practical and less expensive if you mainly fly domestically.   The GE card is a nice gov't issued ID, but passports are still primary overseas.

4 hours ago, cruisellama said:

TSA pre-check is actually more practical and less expensive if you mainly fly domestically.   The GE card is a nice gov't issued ID, but passports are still primary overseas.

My current TSA Pre-Check will expire next year and I have a trip to Ireland/England planned.  Also I get Global Entry through my AmEx card, so I figure I may as well do that.  Thanks!!

5 hours ago, cruisellama said:

GE is a US Customs & Border control  managed  program for entry into US entry areas.  So helps when you return from a non-US point of travel to US territory entry point.  It includes TSA pre-check, but it's actually a Customs & Border control program.   Had it for awhile, but when overseas travel diminished I just went to TSA precheck.  But GE works really well.  TSA pre-check is actually more practical and less expensive if you mainly fly domestically.   The GE card is a nice gov't issued ID, but passports are still primary overseas.

This is a great thread. I was so confused by Global Entry before reading this - I thought it was a program to help at International airports when you were traveling overseas. I was really confused when we went to Switzerland this summer via Germany, that there was no where for use to use our Global Entry. And then when we came back to the US, there were no lines and our home airport didn't even care that we had it (they honestly didn't even do customs, we just breezed through everything when we got back, except collecting our luggage!)

Now it makes more sense - that you use it when returning from International travel, especially when it is really busy. If we had flown back at a busier time at our airport, it might have been helpful to us then. We only paid $15pp extra for the Global Entry than we would have for just Precheck, and we've used Precheck many times. Unless you are flying into one of the few airports overseas that has opted in, the Global Entry doesn't do anything to help speed things up when you first fly in to your destination. I was so envious of all the EU passports just scanning and breezing through while all the non-EU passports were stuck in a huge line at Frankfurt. 

47 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

This is a great thread. I was so confused by Global Entry before reading this - I thought it was a program to help at International airports when you were traveling overseas. I was really confused when we went to Switzerland this summer via Germany, that there was no where for use to use our Global Entry. And then when we came back to the US, there were no lines and our home airport didn't even care that we had it (they honestly didn't even do customs, we just breezed through everything when we got back, except collecting our luggage!)

Now it makes more sense - that you use it when returning from International travel, especially when it is really busy. If we had flown back at a busier time at our airport, it might have been helpful to us then. We only paid $15pp extra for the Global Entry than we would have for just Precheck, and we've used Precheck many times. Unless you are flying into one of the few airports overseas that has opted in, the Global Entry doesn't do anything to help speed things up when you first fly in to your destination. I was so envious of all the EU passports just scanning and breezing through while all the non-EU passports were stuck in a huge line at Frankfurt. 

Has Frankfurt upgraded to the face recognition stations?   I've experienced those at other airports and lines really moved fast (except when people didn't follow the instructions for the reader to work).     Somewhat unnerving when your face is so quickly recognized in a European airport.

29 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

Has Frankfurt upgraded to the face recognition stations?   I've experienced those at other airports and lines really moved fast (except when people didn't follow the instructions for the reader to work).     Somewhat unnerving when your face is so quickly recognized in a European airport.

Not the part of the airport where we were! (Lufthansa, Zurich through Frankfurt to home) The lines were confusing, first of all, and not marked well with no one to ask. People got into the EU line because it was moving faster, then realized they were wrong and tried to cut into the non EU line which was barely moving. There was almost a fist fight (lots of screaming and some shoving) at one point because our flight from Zurich arrived late and everyone was trying to hurry to not miss connections, plus then even after you landed, you had to get bussed to customs which took a while. Clearly people who were also about to miss their flights and had been waiting in line for a while already, didn't want anyone cutting in front of them! We ended up missing our flight and got stranded an extra 2 days in Frankfurt before they could get us home.

• 3 weeks later...

Good news for us GE folks.  Mine was a few months from it's 2nd renewal.  I filled out the online form as usual and used AMEX to pay the $100 (so free to me).  It's been stuck in the "Wait for Conditional Approval" step for almost two months now.

Because of the delays, they've extended a grace period past the expiry date as long as you've filed for renewal and paid the fee.  After a bit of digging around (idiots didn't put it in their FAQ section about it) -- looks like it's good for an additional 24 months.

Screenshot2023-03-12at7_11_29PM.png.bf7abca3303894819118e40e53a25539.pngScreenshot2023-03-12at7_17_40PM.png.9b5f2725551e3ec1dba767522db2b764.png

On 2/25/2023 at 1:17 PM, SpeedNoodles said:

My current TSA Pre-Check will expire next year and I have a trip to Ireland/England planned.  Also I get Global Entry through my AmEx card, so I figure I may as well do that.  Thanks!!

Do it.  I mean "run, don't walk".  You get both TSA-Pre and GE for the $100 cost and we too have an Amex that pays for it.  TSA is for domestic and flying to any international location from the US.  GE is used at international airports to come back to the states.  We used GE for a trip to the UK and Ireland.  We traveled home from Dublin. With GE, you get kind of ushered into a US Customs area that is separate from those without, at least in Dublin.

It is not a seamless as TSA-Pre, but it works pretty well.  We flew to Vancouver and back and again, we were separated and sent down another line that was faster (I won't say fast, but faster) than those without.  Even with GE, flying out of an international airport, you have to remove your shoes, belt, take out your laptop, your coat, etc. and such so it is not like domestic TSA-Pre.  It just speeds things up on reentry to the US.

I forgot to add that you have to sit for the interview for your initial GE.  But upon renewal, you just submit paperwork. You don't have to re-sit for the interview. 

42 minutes ago, FSUFAN said:

GE is used at international airports to come back to the states.  We used GE for a trip to the UK and Ireland.  We traveled home from Dublin. With GE, you get kind of ushered into a US Customs area that is separate from those without, at least in Dublin.

GE only has limited options for use outside of the USA, and only a select few in Europe. The bulk are in the United States, and many of the International locations are USA-adjacent (Canada, Bermuda, other Caribbean...). I also thought it was mostly for International Airports when you were returning to the US, and was really confused about why I couldn't figure out what to do in Zurich and in Frankfurt and still didn't really understand until reading this thread. You were lucky in Dublin to be flying from an airport that uses GE. Anyone hoping to use it, you can check the list to see if you'll be able to use it at your International airport:

On 2/24/2023 at 5:54 PM, SpeedNoodles said:

Does this mean you can't use Global Entry at Heathrow returning to the United States?  I don't see them on the list.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/airports-with-kiosks

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2023 at 8:37 PM, jbrinkm said:

You were lucky in Dublin to be flying from an airport that uses GE. Anyone hoping to use it, you can check the list to see if you'll be able to use it at your International airport:

As far as i am aware GE is for entry into US only so it's only for Airports where US customs are located which is why Dublin has it. 

Once you pass customs in Dublin its basically a domestic flight for arrival in the US.