The Anthem of this cruise is Christmas

D Alt

No one started a blog so ill catch you up. 

Anthem left frigid Bayonne on Sunday. Good weather regardless of temps. And my surprise they let me park my truck in the garage this time which is great if we come back to bad weather. 

As always the ease of the onboarding process makes the morning great. Made it onboard before 11. 

The ship was decorated with a nice big tree in the Royal Esplanade. They had a tree lighting that first night. 

I had the interior rm with virtual balcony which was really cool. 

Izumi for dinner. 

Reports that we have a full ship with many children. 

I like Anthem. 

Day 2 at sea was still very cold. 

Everyone and mean everyone was by the indoor pool. 

I paid the well worth the cost of $19 forthe Northstar ride at sea. WOW! going in this at sea was amazing. 

Dinner at Jamie's. The shrimp app was good. The squid was overcooked and my tagliatelle was undercooked. But the lemon cheesecake was very good. 

The Gift production was very good regardless of the glitch they had at the 7pm show. 

Led Zepagain tribute band was good. 

Day 3 at port Canaveral i got off just to see what was at the port and found nothing but bar and grills. No real shopping unless you take a taxi to the mall or Walmart which is popular with the crew apparently.  It was 73ish that day. Very overcast. 

Dinner at MDR in the Silk room. 

Show was the Las Vegas tenors. Very good!

Day 4 in Miami. 85 today. Partly cloudy.

I stayed onboard.  To my surprise the northstar did not do the full swing in port. Not sure if it's just a miami thing or this was what they did at all ports. Guess ill find out. But glad i did it at sea to get the full swing experience. 

Looks like half the ship got off here. 

Anthem is a great ship! The entertainment is wonderful, make sure you also see We Will Rock You. The story is not great but the music is all Queen and the talent is top notch. We also enjoyed Spectra's Cabaret in 270. 

We also do not get off at Canaveral, not enough time to do anything significant and it's nice to enjoy an emptier ship.

While in port, Northstar is complimentary but reservations go fast. It only goes up and down regardless of which port, not just a Miami thing. 

2 hours ago, Mrs. Regular said:

Anthem is a great ship! The entertainment is wonderful, make sure you also see We Will Rock You. The story is not great but the music is all Queen and the talent is top notch. We also enjoyed Spectra's Cabaret in 270. 

We also do not get off at Canaveral, not enough time to do anything significant and it's nice to enjoy an emptier ship.

While in port, Northstar is complimentary but reservations go fast. It only goes up and down regardless of which port, not just a Miami thing. 

Thx. Spectra Cabaret tonight.

Yes all those reservations go quik on a packed ship. Thankfully i did it on a sea day. 

I am on the same cruise and I hope @D Altdoesn't mind if I post a bit (if I remember).  I also love leaving from Bayonne.  It's only an hour drive for me from PA and I was on the ship by 11:30.  I'm in a balcony room and on the cruise by myself which is fine with me (my one sister has to work and my other sister doesn't "come up north". Her loss)  This is my 3rd time on Anthem and my 2nd Christmas cruise on Anthem (did 2021 Christmas cruise).

Day 2 sea day went to the top tier event and forgot everything they said (and it wasn't because of the free drinks).  It is a packed ship and I think they said occupancy is the highest since 2019.  I think they said there are around 1500 children on board too (and they've taken over the Windjammer).  There are also many families from Asia.  Went to Jamie's for lunch.  It was just okay.

Day 3 I finally was able to go to Kennedy Space Center this trip since we were in Port Canaveral until 8.  I had a great time.

Day4   Did a Miami/Art Deco/Little Havana tour (South Beach).  The tour was okay.  We did manage to lose one person at the 1st stop.  She lost us as soon as we got off the bus,  I have never actually visited Miami.  I have been to the cruise port and airport tons of times. Saw Spectra tonight and I always enjoy it.

Tomorrow is Coco Cay and I'm off to the Beach Club  An OBC popped up on my account on black Friday so I used it towards the Club.  I don't have a clue where the OBC came from but I didn't think twice about what I was going to use it for.

20221219_134743344_iOS.jpg

20221220_182816856_iOS.jpg

20221221_163137580_iOS.jpg

20221221_164527245_iOS.jpg

20221221_182536754_iOS.jpg

20221222_004358858_iOS.jpg

Day 5 Coco Cay day.  The Anthem and Independence were both at Coco Cay today.  OMG So many people.  I'm so glad that I the $50 OBC showed up in my account on black Friday because the Beach Club was the perfect place to be.  I was very happy in my beach chair in the shade at the club with my lobster lunch.  I heard from a few people that the water park was so busy that they were giving out scheduled times to come back for certain slides.  I did walk around for a while and it was a big difference from the 2021 Anthem Christmas cruise.  I think the Beach Club has spoiled me.

Day 6 Nassau.  I really didn't want to stay on the ship because we have 2 sea days next so I booked the Blue Lagoon Island Beach Day.  The boat ride to the island is about 40 minutes then they only give you about 3 hours before you have to go back to the ship.  I found a lounge chair in the shade and chilled out for a while.  Lunch was included and it was the usual hamburgers, hot dogs, BBQ chicken (really good)...  After lunch I walked around the island (I get bored just sitting around).  Found the dolphins and sea lion area and watched them for a while then back to my chair to pack up.  Would I do this again, no once is enough. 

20221222_133517271_iOS.jpg

20221222_141849205_iOS.jpg

20221222_174336288_iOS.jpg

20221222_204639662_iOS.jpg

20221223_170856112_iOS.jpg

20221223_182259734_iOS.jpg

20221223_182259881_iOS.jpg

Day 7 Sea day and Christmas Eve.  I don't think I did much of anything.  I was suppose to see We Will Rock You at 2 but I went to last nights show about 3 minutes late.  That's okay since it is the 3rd time I'm seeing it.  It is one of my favorite shows.  The ships Christmas decorations were just okay.  Last year they had a lot of poinsettias this year none.  Tonight was the Special Holiday menu in the MDR.  I forgot to take a picture of it but I know @D Altdid.   

Day 8 Sea day and Christmas Day.  MDR was doing brunch and that's were I went for breakfast.  A lot of families wearing their matching Holiday PJ's.  Santa was also giving out gifts in Two70 around 9am so I didn't even go near that part of the ship.  Spent most of the day in the Solarium reading my book.  I did happen to catch some of the officers and the captain giving out gifts and singing carols to the room attendants.  Tonight was the Holiday show in the Royal Theater and I have been so looking forward to this.  Last years was good this years was even better.  Terry LaVell who plays Spectra was phenomenal.  After that show it was off to Battle of the Sexes in Two70.

20221218_180418823_iOS.jpg

20221219_233003671_iOS.jpg

20221224_155408618_iOS.jpg

20221225_004136363_iOS.jpg

20221225_133951934_iOS.jpg

20221225_152238880_iOS.jpg

20221225_183544274_iOS.jpg

20221226_020346419_iOS.jpg

yeah sorry for not adding to this during the cruise. Cococay was great as usual.  Nassau Beach Excursion was OK, no sun all day though.

the 7th day I got sick. Not so much from the rougher seas, which didn't help, but from guests who didn't seem to care if they spread their cold or flu. 

Mary kept it positive, but unfortunately here is a negative rant about my experience. 

I will say this will most likely be the last Holiday cruise I ever take. (maybe on a more "adult" cruise in the future, but not likely). 

And I'm sorry if i offend any families here but on this cruise, it was like COVID never happened, like we weren't quarantined for 2 years and there were no lessons learned. I believe there were over 1000 children onboard a very packed cruise. And I expected this knowing it was the holiday.  But the sheer disregard of everyone walking around sniffling, coughing, sneezing, hacking in crowded areas...forget about wearing masks, they didn't even cover their mouths!!  I tried to wear my mask in close spaces but it wouldn't have helped. I washed and sanitized my hands a lot. 

Parents: if you're child is sick and coughing, keep them in the cabin!

Everyone:  Cover your damn mouth! 

So I ended up not feeling well by Day 7.  I missed We Will Rock You in the afternoon because I wanted to rest.  I only really went out of my cabin to get some tea, honey and lemon and some bread to eat and yes, i masked up.  Day 8 was not much better.  They had canceled WWRY (I believe that 7th night and 8th day) anyway so that sucks that I totally missed out on seeing that production. I was bored and had head congestion and at this point I just wanted off the ship. 

By the time I got home I was feeling a bit better, but it turns out I did test positive for COVID today.  

(PS. Thankfully due to me being fully vaxxed and boosted, my illness was quick and less severe.)

@D Alt- thank you for your honest review.  That is tough.  I totally agree that kids should stay in their cabin or at least mask if they are not feeling well.  I also know it is tough to teach the young ones to cover their mouth.  But when their parents won't do it....  Yeah.  I spent Christmas weekend with my family.  It was interesting watching my son and daughrer-in-law teaching their 3 year old to cover his month when he coughs - which was often - that he coughed and forgot.  But he was making some progress.  Get well soon!  

@MarySThanks for the posting.  I love your slippers!  I too LOVE the Beach Club.  But if I was traveling with my grandkids, we may end up at the Water Trill Park.  I too would have been bored at the Blue Lagoon.  Finally, thanks for the pics.  

2 hours ago, D Alt said:

I will say this will most likely be the last Holiday cruise I ever take. (maybe on a more "adult" cruise in the future, but not likely).

I have to say I'm worried about this.  We have not really traveled a lot at the winter holidays...we more are summer and spring break.  There are always lots of people and kids then but holiday travel takes it to a new level.

We are hard-core Disney park people who have been at busy summer times, marathon times, and know how to work the system and make it less crowded.  I chaperoned my daughter's choir trip Dec 26-30 and I've never been so utterly overwhelmed in my life.  The numbers of people were staggering, you couldn't walk through them and the lines were incredible.  And that was before covid.

Push to now on the ship.  I'm worried about staff shortages, lines, supply issues, and the times to will have to get places to see/experience anything (promenade on NYE will probably not happen because I'm not willing to pay or show up 2 hours early to get a spot).  I'm just anxious about all those people, and that's not even taking into your consideration of the Sickies.  

I will never ever ever go to Disney again btw Xmas and New year's but I'm hopeful the Harmony can handle all the people and 3/4 person cabin occupancies!  

Glad your covid wasnt too bad!

@MaryS your reindeer ears and slippers were amazing!  Thanks for all your info!!!!  Jane

2 hours ago, D Alt said:

Parents: if you're child is sick and coughing, keep them in the cabin!

Everyone:  Cover your damn mouth! 

I totally agree with @D Alt.   So many people coughing, sneezing, not covering their mouths and pretending to wash their hands going into the Windjammer. One guy in the MDR at brunch was hacking up a lung on day 8 and not bothering to cover his mouth.  A table near him asked to be moved.   I brought plenty of allergy/cold meds because I knew I was going to come home with something no matter what I did .  I started to come down with a cold on day 8 and still have a sore throat today and cough.  Tested 3 times and negative for Covid (I ended up with a cold coming off Odyssey in Sept. & my sister came home with Covid).  @D AltI'm so sorry you came home with Covid and hope you are feeling better now. 

1 hour ago, mom2mybugs said:

I have to say I'm worried about this.  We have not really traveled a lot at the winter holidays...we more are summer and spring break.  There are always lots of people and kids then but holiday travel takes it to a new level.

We are hard-core park people who have been at busy summer times, marathon times, and know how to work the system and make it less crowded.  I chaperoned my daughter's choir trip Dec 26-30 and I've never been so utterly overwhelmed in my life.  The numbers of people were staggering, you couldn't walk through them and the lines were incredible.  And that was before covid.

Push to now on the ship.  I'm worried about staff shortages, lines, supply issues, and the times to will have to get places to see/experience anything (promenade on NYE will probably not happen because I'm not willing to pay or show up 2 hours early to get a spot).  I'm just anxious about all those people, and that's not even taking into your consideration of the Sickies.  

I will never ever ever go to Disney again btw Xmas and New year's but I'm hopeful the Harmony can handle all the people and 3/4 person cabin occupancies!  

Glad your covid wasnt too bad!

@MaryS your reindeer ears and slippers were amazing!  Thanks for all your info!!!!  Jane

All I can say is PREPARE, PREPARE, PREPARE.   wear a mask, wash your hands, avoid crowds if possible.  bring cold and flu medicine with you on the ship.  And load up on the Vitamin C and D before you cruise.  Oh and if needed, get a C19 booster or flu shot before as well.  

1 hour ago, MaryS said:

I totally agree with @D Alt.   So many people coughing, sneezing, not covering their mouths and pretending to wash their hands going into the Windjammer. One guy in the MDR at brunch was hacking up a lung on day 8 and not bothering to cover his mouth.  A table near him asked to be moved.   I brought plenty of allergy/cold meds because I knew I was going to come home with something no matter what I did .  I started to come down with a cold on day 8 and still have a sore throat today and cough.  Tested 3 times and negative for Covid (I ended up with a cold coming off Odyssey in Sept. & my sister came home with Covid).  @D AltI'm so sorry you came home with Covid and hope you are feeling better now. 

Thank you.  I had started getting a sore throat first, then when I slept I had chills and sweats and a mild overall headache that I quelled with Tylenol. I only felt nauseous because of the sea that day so i popped a Zentrip tab and that worked well.  Thankfully I wasn't overly sick.  Hopefully Mary you don't have it.   

1 hour ago, D Alt said:

Thank you.  I had started getting a sore throat first, then when I slept I had chills and sweats and a mild overall headache that I quelled with Tylenol. I only felt nauseous because of the sea that day so i popped a Zentrip tab and that worked well.  Thankfully I wasn't overly sick.  Hopefully Mary you don't have it.   

I had Covid the end of June and just like you it was the sore throat, chills and sweats (no fever) for one day and I was exhausted.   I got my second booster in August before my Sept. Odyssey cruise. I got my 3rd booster and flu shot in November for the Anthem cruise.   I don't have Covid (tested negative again today) it's just a stupid cold and now I'm losing my voice.  Oh well I prepared myself as much as I could.  

Love reading a recap of the trip. Very sorry you contracted the 'Vid. I agree that many people (esp kids) were coughing sniffiling machines in crowded public places. My daughter and I left a hot tub once as an (unsupervised) young kid right next to us kept open mouth coughing right at my daughter (who is 10 and therefore a kid herself but supervised and taught to always cover her mouth!!). I don't know if we'd do another Christmas cruise either....the feel of the crowds was somehow just a bit off. Don't get me wrong, we had a ton of fun but I prefer going a bit more off season. I do not mind cruising with kids and families at all (as I said, we have a 10 year old) but the number of parents that seemed to take a vacation from parenting seemed higher than usual. At one point my husband had to step in and go Full Dad on some random kids in the hot tub with us as one of the kids was trying to (no joke!!) DROWN his brother while biting him hard. Kids were perhaps 4 and 6, not a parent in sight; my husband had to do something as one or both of those kids could have been hurt. Saw a bit too much unsupervised crazy kid behavior; quite a lot of it annoying at best but downright dangerous at worst (holy crap people, watch your kids around pools!!). Didn't see this as much on previous non-holiday cruises. 

Really enjoyed Anthem though. Beautiful ship, great activities (we too missed out on WWRY though 😭 but Spectra's was awesome....Terry Lavelle is SO talented!! ) and piles of wonderful food (I couldn't get enough of those chocolate/sprinkle coated Christmas cookies!). Loved Jamie's...killer short rib and lamb chops and that lemon meringue cheesecake.......omg. We tried out Thrill Waterpark for the first time and had a blast! Going again in May (will be on Oasis) and can't wait. 

Hope you don't mind me posting a few pics! 

20221222_143407.jpg

img1671554681794.jpg

20221220_170112.jpg

20221225_091511.jpg

20221224_162623.jpg

20221218_153634.jpg

20221223_173705.jpg

Edited by Rakaia
removed excess blank space

37 minutes ago, Rakaia said:

(I couldn't get enough of those chocolate/sprinkle coated Christmas cookies!).

Me too.  Also the white chocolate/sprinkle ones and the sugar Christmas cookies with some tea yum.  I was always taking a plate of them back to the cabin.  I love cookies!

On 12/28/2022 at 1:06 PM, D Alt said:

All I can say is PREPARE, PREPARE, PREPARE.   wear a mask, wash your hands, avoid crowds if possible.  bring cold and flu medicine with you on the ship.  And load up on the Vitamin C and D before you cruise.  Oh and if needed, get a C19 booster or flu shot before as well.  

Ugh...well ready with flu shot and Covid booster.  Hoping for people to wise up but expect the worst.  I'm a preschool teacher and husband is a high school teacher so we are used to lots of coughing hacking snotty kids.  Jane