Classic Soda package question-and what is included (and carry on wine)

Bepsi

Hello. We are getting ready to go on our first 7 day cruise. Odyssey in January. We haven't purchased a drink package yet, because DARN you really do get nickel and dimed to death! We have been going back and forth about which to choose. I wanted to ask for the classic soda package, can you get water out of the free style machines? And does this only include soda at the machines, or does it also entitle you to a soda from a bar or restaurant? In addition what are the "free beverages" that are already included? I heard iced tea and fruit punch, but I'm not certain. Also as far as carrying wine on, I know we get 2 bottles per state room. Can they be in the checked bag? Because we are flying in just before and obviously can't have them in carry on for the plane, will I need to get them out of my packed bags and put them in carry on? Please let me know, thank you in advance everyone 🙂

Yes, PLEASE put the wine in your carry on.  A broken bottle can wreck havoc on your suitcase as well as others.  Water is available through the freestyle machines and you can get soda at any bar too, glasses not cans or bottles though.  Ice tea, lemonade, some type of fruit punch, white and chocolate milk, juices in the morning will be complementary. Also the tap water on board tastes as good as any you get from a bottle.

10 hours ago, Bepsi said:

Hello. We are getting ready to go on our first 7 day cruise. Odyssey in January. We haven't purchased a drink package yet, because DARN you really do get nickel and dimed to death! We have been going back and forth about which to choose. I wanted to ask for the classic soda package, can you get water out of the free style machines? And does this only include soda at the machines, or does it also entitle you to a soda from a bar or restaurant? In addition what are the "free beverages" that are already included? I heard iced tea and fruit punch, but I'm not certain. Also as far as carrying wine on, I know we get 2 bottles per state room. Can they be in the checked bag? Because we are flying in just before and obviously can't have them in carry on for the plane, will I need to get them out of my packed bags and put them in carry on? Please let me know, thank you in advance everyone 🙂

Please buy wine when you land and not put in your checked bags for a flight. If they break on the flight it will mess your clothes as well as clothes in other people's luggage.

6 hours ago, BennyandBo said:

Please buy wine when you land and not put in your checked bags for a flight. If they break on the flight it will mess your clothes as well as clothes in other people's luggage.

I have flown with wine but put it inside a travel wine bag that seals and won't leak in case the bottle gets broken.  We usually fly in the day before now, so I can get some after we land.  You can ordered the travel wine bags from Amazon.

can you get water out of the free style machines?
 - Yep! You can get straight water or flavored Dasani options

does this only include soda at the machines, or does it also entitle you to a soda from a bar or restaurant?
 - the Freestyle machines give you the most variety but you can get a glass of Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Tonic Water, Club Soda, or Water at any bar with just a flash of your seapass. They will also fill your cup with those options if you have it with you.

what are the "free beverages" that are already included?
 - Water, Fruit punch, lemonade, iced tea, flavored water, OJ, apple juice. Most of these will only be located in the windjammer buffet though the pizza place will sometimes have water, lemonade and the flavored water dispenser.

as far as carrying wine on, I know we get 2 bottles per state room. Can they be in the checked bag?
 - Technically by the FAQs on Royal's page they are supposed to be in your carry-on for the ship. That said, the first time we did it I was unaware of this and handed them over to a porter in a tied reusable shopping bag and there was no issue. That said, the others make great points about them potentially breaking and messing up your clothes. I also highly recommend buying the wine at the port city. You can either be cheap like me and hit up a Walgreens or find a liquor store but that way you don't spend flight weight on the bottles.

I don't like to buy wine right before I drink it.  I usually have bottles in my basement 'aging'.  LOL!  Yeah, I have become a wine snob (WALGREENS???).  I do travel with my wine in my checked baggage for the planes.  I never had a problem with breakage (knock on wood).  I do wrap it well.  Since I fly in the night before, I have time to move my wine and other items (like a bathing suit) into my carry on bag. 

3 hours ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

can you get water out of the free style machines?
 - Yep! You can get straight water or flavored Dasani options

does this only include soda at the machines, or does it also entitle you to a soda from a bar or restaurant?
 - the Freestyle machines give you the most variety but you can get a glass of Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Tonic Water, Club Soda, or Water at any bar with just a flash of your seapass. They will also fill your cup with those options if you have it with you.

what are the "free beverages" that are already included?
 - Water, Fruit punch, lemonade, iced tea, flavored water, OJ, apple juice. Most of these will only be located in the windjammer buffet though the pizza place will sometimes have water, lemonade and the flavored water dispenser.

as far as carrying wine on, I know we get 2 bottles per state room. Can they be in the checked bag?
 - Technically by the FAQs on Royal's page they are supposed to be in your carry-on for the ship. That said, the first time we did it I was unaware of this and handed them over to a porter in a tied reusable shopping bag and there was no issue. That said, the others make great points about them potentially breaking and messing up your clothes. I also highly recommend buying the wine at the port city. You can either be cheap like me and hit up a Walgreens or find a liquor store but that way you don't spend flight weight on the bottles.

Thank you! This is most helpful

• 2 months later...

I assume that "Your mileage may vary" but at our last trip out of Boston, I had the 2 bottles of wine in a small brown paper bag with the rope handles that they used at checkout from the liquor store. You could see the tops of the bottles.  The person working the scanner just glanced at the tops and sent them thru. Did not inspect the bottles at all.  I wish I had packed a bottle of Stellum Bourbon as it is bottled in wine like bottles. 🤔

image.png.b6cc69a5ce978960dbe36ac2a2dd37ea.pngimage.png.d7cfa6e9e530e2d1a538eddb67f064ed.png