Royal Caribbean credit card. Is it a good deal?

steverk

Last year I opened one to get the promo (10,000 points plus $100 statement credit).  Last month while onboard the promo was 30,000 points so my husband opened one.  We only charge the cruises on them (which I'll admit isn't the best value we could get for travel).  I don't use it for every day spending, but it is nice to have a specific RC card in the event of refunds - during the pandemic when cruises were canceled we had refunds for the same cruise to so many different cards it got confusing.  So now this will be the only card we use for RC, just in case.

Looks like you get 1 "Cruise Point" per dollar spent worth 1 cent each. So the rewards are 1%.  That's nowhere near what would be considered a good cash back program even for a card that doesn't force you to spend it in only one way.

My current card is 1.5% in actual cash back to be used for whatever, not just OBC.

9 hours ago, PL8SWPR said:

Looks like you get 1 "Cruise Point" per dollar spent worth 1 cent each. So the rewards are 1%.  That's nowhere near what would be considered a good cash back program even for a card that doesn't force you to spend it in only one way.

My current card is 1.5% in actual cash back to be used for whatever, not just OBC.

2 on Royal purchases.

I have the card and opened it with the free statement credit, extra points, OBC promo.  It is one point for everything not cruise related.  Anything RCL is 2 points per $.  I also have a Marriott Bonvoy card because I travel for work.  I get numerous points for using my card at Marriotts plus the standard points for everyday use.  Here is the thing, Marriott Bonvoy has a cruise points program.  I used my Bonvoy points to get a cruise discount on a RCL next Month.  In some ways I'm thinking this MIGHT be better option.  Also you can purchase RCL gift cards on AARP website if you are of that age for 10% off.  So a free $25 for every $250 purchased plus the 250 points for using my card unless they count that as a travel purchase then its 500 points. 

We signed up for the card with the 30,000 points bonus and just used the 300.00 obc for our cruise coming up in April. We transferred the 300.00 obc to the cruise then it didn’t show up. So we called and they had to contact a supervisor so we could get the money now to spend. They said the obc typically shows up a week before the cruise. 

I don't know anything about the Citi card you referenced so I don't know how they compare. What I do like about the Royal card is..I'm going to cruise anyway, might as well get something extra for it. The dollars I spend on booking a cruise and excursions going toward a future free/discounted cruise or OBC is really helpful for maximizing vacations and I'm in no rush to pile them on.

I have the BofA Royal Caribbean card, but rarely use it, even for RCL travel.  It might be worth getting it for the first bonus points, but the card does not really have many other good perks.  I personally think a good cash back card is always better than a points based card.

FWIW, I use the Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi which gives 3% cash back on travel including cruises.  It does require Costco membership though, but that also provides perks.

We have our Discover card that we take advantage of their 5% cash back time periods along with the general 1% cash back which we use for all of our normal purchases throughout the week and year. The Cash back can be used for anything. We also have our Delta Sky Miles for travel and wife's NP certifications, license's, Travel and expenses for work, also for trips and flights. We rarely use our debit card. All are paid off and only charge what we would normally spend monthly. That way we don't give them any money for interest charges.

We look at these 2 cards as free money. Why use your Debit card when others will pay you to use. Although it takes dedication to stick to a budget and not just charge away.👍

Just my 2 cents.

There are better cards out there for travel perks / cash back options compared to the BoA RCL card.  The earning rate of 1-2% is low overall but better than not earning anything.  Personally, I try to use my Costco Visa card as much as I can as I earn 3% on travel and dining related expenses. But it goes to be used at Costco only, so I am deferring my earnings to a 1-time a year payout and will generally only spend that amount in-store.  

No matter what card you use, if you get something back its good - now whether you apply those savings to the vacation purchase vs. being forced into OBC with the BoA card, that is the bigger question...like my Cap One card allows real-time redemption once the charge clears.  The Discover, only at statement close.  Costco, once a year depending on when you signed up and it comes in via a rebate check only valid at Costco (but can be exchanged for cash there).  Pick your poison...😝

• 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Yes, as long as you choose to use them as On Board Credit.  

Okay, so if I'm understanding you correctly, the points I've earned from my RC credit card can be used to pay for a RC excursion when we book on while on the cruise and use "on board credit" as our method of payment.  It's been difficult to get a straight answer for B of A and RC...don't want to waste my money or OBC! 🙂  Thank You!!

6 hours ago, PBC said:

Okay, so if I'm understanding you correctly, the points I've earned from my RC credit card can be used to pay for a RC excursion when we book on while on the cruise and use "on board credit" as our method of payment.  It's been difficult to get a straight answer for B of A and RC...don't want to waste my money or OBC! 🙂  Thank You!!

Yes. You can also book it ahead of time on the Cruise Planner.  When you redeem the points and choose OBC, just call Bank of America (the number is available on the website) and ask them to apply it immediately. Otherwise it won't show up for you until shortly before your sailing and by that time the best shore excursions may have sold out.