chy

Hey,

I have a question that I was hoping someone could answer. I was wondering if anyone has ever gotten a free upgrade from Royal Caribbean. See, I know this sounds weird because nothing in life is free, but me and my boyfriend are going on our second Royal Caribbean cruise together and since we are still young in our early 20’s we booked the cheapest room possible. We booked a guaranteed interior room, hence an interior room and they can put us wherever they want. Though, just yesterday I received our cruise documents that had our room number on it. I looked up the room on Royal Caribbeans deck plans for our ship, Navigator of the Seas, and our room is a Promenade View Interior, which is an upgrade from regular interior. We had no other charges put through our cards, and I know it is not based on a RoyalUp bid because RoyalUp sent me an email stating “the changes in my reservation have allowed me to bid on more rooms, and my previous bids have all been cancelled”. So, my question is has this happened to anyone else? Do I question it? Is it just luck?

We have received 2 complimentary upgrades over the years.  Both were long before RoyalUp.  Upgrades were far more common then than they are now.

Our very first cruise as Diamond, we received a call from Royal asking if we wanted to upgrade our room from a Boardwalk balcony to an ocean view balcony.  This was Allure, I think.  We accepted the complimentary upgrade.  The other time we had no idea we had been upgraded until we got to the terminal in Baltimore (Grandeur sailing).  Our room had been changed from an ocean view to a Junior Suite. We had chosen the OV b/c it was one of those amidships that have the floor-to-ceiling window.  Of course, we were thrilled with the upgrade to a JS but I still wish I could have at least seen the original OV that we booked.  It looked like it would have had an awesome view.

I’m not too surprised you got this room because they are not for everyone. We are staying in one now on Adventure and like it because we can see all the activities in the promenade from our room. But some people don’t like the because they can be noisy during these same activities and other people can see into your room when the curtains are open. As long as your not planning on going to bed too early, it is a great room type. We did decorate our window with the towel animals we got and several people walking by below were pointing to our room decorations.