Vision Repositioning Itinerary Change

We were just informed (with no explanation) that the Vision of the Seas repositioning cruise from Cape Liberty to Galveston, departing Oct 23, 2017 will no longer stop in Labadee.  We will visit Bermuda instead.  Seems like a win, although it would have been nice to see Labadee since we have never been there before.  Any thoughts on why this change would have been made or if it's a good thing?

Here's our new itinerary:

• Cape Liberty
  • Cruising
  • King's Wharf Bermuda
  • Cruising
  • Cruising
  • Bonaire
  • Curacao
  • Aruba
  • Cruising
  • Grand Cayman
  • Cozumel
  • Costa Maya
  • Progreso (Yucatan)
  • Cruising
  • Galveston

Pretty good itinerary.

Awesome lineup!

IMO, Progreso will be the weak spot.  If you've never been, its basically A) hit the beach bar, B) tour some ruins, or C) bus into Merida.

Labadee is great but Bermuda will be a bit more "rare" and is usually an expensive sailing from NYC or Baltimore.

BTW... just moved here to the Cape Canaveral area last year from Baytown.  ;)

35 minutes ago, PRC said:

Awesome lineup!

IMO, Progreso will be the weak spot.  If you've never been, its basically A) hit the beach bar, B) tour some ruins, or C) bus into Merida.

Labadee is great but Bermuda will be a bit more "rare" and is usually an expensive sailing from NYC or Baltimore.

BTW... just moved here to the Cape Canaveral area last year from Baytown.  ;)

Yes, we are excited about Bermuda.  That's a place we've always wanted to cruise to.  Never been to Progreso but I know Carnival goes there from Galveston, so that tells me something.  As the last port on this 14 day adventure, we may stick close to the ship in Progreso.

Congrats on the move to the Space Coast. You are now in the epicenter of cruise port heaven with lots of choices.

Did it with Rhapsody once and then again with Voyager.  Both from Galveston of course.  The continental shelf is insanely shallow for a looooong ways so the pier complex is literally 2 miles long I believe.  Big buses provided.  

2 hours ago, PRC said:

I booked a (gasp!) Carnival cruise just because of the stop in Progresso, as my wife wants to go to Chichen Itza but doesn't want to take the Vomit Comet on RC's Cozumel stop.  I wish the kids weren't in school otherwise I'd love this repositioning on Vision. 

• 3 weeks later...

Chicen Itza is historically fantastic.  If you have a chance to go, without a long drive, it is well worth it.  30 years ago, when it was not at all well-trodden, we drove a rental car there and spent the night.  Very primitive but one of our best trips ever.   That would make Progresso a must-do stop for me.  But maybe not for everyone.

• 1 month later...

So I am presently on Vision in the Baltic as of June 23, 2017.  No less than 5 crew members have said that they have been told after the Glaviston itenerarys they will head to Europe for the last time and that crew members should expect the ship to be transferred out of the fleet sometime after Symphony of the Seas debutes, it is still unofficial but interesting.  The ship is in great shape and will be sad to see her go as I have also sailed on Sovereign and Legend, but totally understand innovation forces the retirement of some ships.

On 4/18/2017 at 8:13 PM, Galveston Steve said:

Here's our new itinerary:

• Cape Liberty
  • Cruising
  • King's Wharf Bermuda
  • Cruising
  • Cruising
  • Bonaire
  • Curacao
  • Aruba
  • Cruising
  • Grand Cayman
  • Cozumel
  • Costa Maya
  • Progreso (Yucatan)
  • Cruising
  • Galveston

Pretty good itinerary.

Looks like a great itinerary Steve! Thank U for bringing her to Texas. We look forward to sailing her in Feb. 

On 6/23/2017 at 9:04 AM, mad24960 said:

So I am presently on Vision in the Baltic as of June 23, 2017.  No less than 5 crew members have said that they have been told after the Glaviston itenerarys they will head to Europe for the last time and that crew members should expect the ship to be transferred out of the fleet sometime after Symphony of the Seas debutes, it is still unofficial but interesting.  The ship is in great shape and will be sad to see her go as I have also sailed on Sovereign and Legend, but totally understand innovation forces the retirement of some ships.

That's interesting.  Her current plan does indeed include a return to Europe after the Galveston itineraries, but then she is scheduled to do a couple Panama Canal runs followed by being home ported in New Orleans beginning December 2018.

I must say that I have heard rumors by multiple crew members on other ships which later were contradicted when I talked to the Captain.  When new itineraries were released it turned out that the Captain had the correct information.  You may be right and the rumors may be correct, but remember they are just rumors.