Spa Question

Erin103

Good Morning! 

I was wondering if anyone could advise me as to what the prices look like for the spa? 

I know they fluctuate and that there are often specials, but I just want to get an idea for budgeting purposes. I will be on Oasis in June of 2023 so I can't see any information in my cruise planner quite yet. But, I want to make sure that my budget is reasonable. 

Thank you!

Also, in terms of specials, at least on my cruise. Most specials are listed in the compass the night before but are only good for same day booking. However, on my small ship there is only one nail tech so same day booking was all filled up for her. Just something to be aware of in case there is something specific you want done, if you just want a good deal you might have to be flexible with the services available.

@Ampurp85 Thank you so much! That's about what they cost where I am, so that's not terrible. I just wanted to get an idea. 🙂

@FireFishII The massage treatment type services are about the same on ship as they are at spas where I am, so that's good to know! I did notice that the salon prices are much higher, but I'm taking care of that before we leave, so I should be fine! Thank you! 

@MJ_Can you check with the spa to find out what the specials might be to give you an idea of when you might want to book a certain treatment?

Mrs Fan will no longer use the spa due to the heavy handed, hard upsell of lotions, creams and other products. She loves a good massage but will no longer use the spa on the ship as she says the steady hassling of the attendant make it more stressful rather than a relaxation experience that it should be.  Sad.

21 minutes ago, FSUFAN said:

Mrs Fan will no longer use the spa due to the heavy handed, hard upsell of lotions, creams and other products. She loves a good massage but will no longer use the spa on the ship as she says the steady hassling of the attendant make it more stressful rather than a relaxation experience that it should be.  Sad.

That used to be my experience as well....until I learned to cut them off before they ever start with the selling.  It has been my experience that if you let them know up front that you will not be purchasing anything and you do not want any sales pitches, they will honor that.

5 hours ago, FSUFAN said:

I had the similar issue but only on my first massage. If I get  a second or a third (yes, I love massages), I usually don't get the same hard sell pitch. 

20 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

That used to be my experience as well....until I learned to cut them off before they ever start with the selling.  It has been my experience that if you let them know up front that you will not be purchasing anything and you do not want any sales pitches, they will honor that.

The last masseuse did not honor her request about the no upsell which she did state on the front end and was pretty aggressive even after the request (per Mrs Fan).  She is an introvert, so has a hard time with pushy people. Now her mind is set that the hassle is not worth the reward. Shame on them. 

11 hours ago, FSUFAN said:

The last masseuse did not honor her request about the no upsell which she did state on the front end and was pretty aggressive even after the request (per Mrs Fan).  She is an introvert, so has a hard time with pushy people. Now her mind is set that the hassle is not worth the reward. Shame on them. 

This is why I don't do it on the ship anymore.  

On 12/17/2022 at 7:30 AM, FSUFAN said:

That is a shame. Not on the part of masseuses because they literally can't help the environment they work in, but shame on RC for making them feel as if they have to be that pushy at their job. I'm sure that they're under immense pressure to upsell. Always a bummer. 

I'll be up front with mine.  Thanks for the heads-up, everyone! 

On 12/16/2022 at 1:06 PM, MJ_ said:

When I was there for my nails I asked what the special would be for the next day and they told me, but I'm not sure they'd give you the specials for the entire trip.

I'm not sure either. However, someone told me that if you take the tour, they're likely to at least give you an idea. Since we plan to take the tour anyway, it can't hurt to ask! 

33 minutes ago, Erin103 said:

That is a shame. Not on the part of masseuses because they literally can't help the environment they work in, but shame on RC for making them feel as if they have to be that pushy at their job. I'm sure that they're under immense pressure to upsell. Always a bummer. 

I'll be up front with mine.  Thanks for the heads-up, everyone! 

I believe that Royal's Spas and those on several other cruise ship lines are run by Steiner Leisure. I hav heard that the staff have aggressive sales targets to achieve to stay employed, which may be why they might ignore your request to not upsell. Some may also earn commission, and of course your tip may be higher if they get you to spend more. That environment is too much for me on a cruise!

On 12/16/2022 at 11:11 AM, WAAAYTOOO said:

same here...the last 5 years or so they are so much better.  I have told them as we are walking back, I am not interested in buying products.  I never had anyone still try to sell at that point.  They have been great. 

It's a shame that the CMTs are pressured by their company (they aren't RCI employees) to up-sell the daylights out of everything.  It's bad enough that I'm about done booking massages onboard.  I preface it every time with the brief, "I know you're required to try to up-sell me.  We can skip that."  speech... and still get up-sold on occasion.

Everything, from the moment you fill out that "medical" form until you exit the spa is designed to vacuum the most money out of you possible.  Sorta the opposite of a relaxing spa visit.  Hot rocks, caning with bamboo, potions and lotions, "you need XYZ to 'detox'".  Blah.