Explorer of the Seas...dry dock

Billy B

19 minutes ago, Billy B said:

I was actually wondering if its getting amp'd

Highly doubtful. Usually when those things are scheduled, it’s not a secret. This is most likely a run of the mill maintenance dry dock that will take the ship out of service for a “short” amount of time. 

We were just on Explorer a couple weeks ago.   The crew we asked said that it was going in for maintenance and refreshing not a complete re vAMPing. They said the carpeting and wall coverings and wall decorations will be changed. Chairs and tables in the MDR and bars/lounges will be replaced.  They are tearing out some of the shops on the promenade and replacing them with a Playmaker's Sports Bar.

We were on board during the world cup soccer and Michigan/Ohio State and other college and later pro games, space was definitely lacking to watch sports.

Playmakers on this class normally goes at the end of the promenade across from promenade cafe.  Sort of butted against the pub going forward.

That's not to say they have to do the same thing as Mariner and Navigator but one would assume that's where it would go.

On Ovation while we sailed they boarded off the noodle bar on the pool deck and converted it to Fish & Ships.  That was more than just signage, it included new glass walls, seating booths, decor and lighting.  They can do quite a bit to a space that's well defined such as one venue without needing a full amplification type shipyard visit.  

New waterslides is something that needs cranes, water tanks, pumps, plumbing, etc so that clearly a lot more work but a makeover of a space like PM seems doable in a non-amp dry dock.

• 3 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, castle25 said:

Captain Tony said on 1st Jan at Captains corner that waterslides and a new explorer dunes are being added

Were you on the boat at the time and if so did they give details about this? was it coming soon when amp'd or when in dry dock later this month? travelling on this ship later in the year and would be great if they can modernise the boat a little. 

3 hours ago, JamesHart said:

Were you on the boat at the time and if so did they give details about this? was it coming soon when amp'd or when in dry dock later this month? travelling on this ship later in the year and would be great if they can modernise the boat a little. 

yes - was actually on boat fron 18th dec 2022- 2 jan 2023 (6+9 B2B)   Going to Cadiz for dry dock

9 hours ago, castle25 said:

yes - was actually on boat fron 18th dec 2022- 2 jan 2023 (6+9 B2B)   Going to Cadiz for dry dock

We were at the same event.  Confirm Castle25's take.  Not much more detail as it's not a full "amp" but definitely adding more than new carpets.  Captain said, "there will be a slide that goes out over the water."  

• 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, LaraMcK said:

Are you sure it wasn’t Enchantment that got Starlink instead of Explorer.

Regardless according to another post I read they are upgrading the cabling and routers across the ship. If that isn’t updated it would cause problems even with Starlink.

I am currently on Explorer.  If they're updating anything Internet related it will be the cabling and routers and that kind of hardware.  I've been surprised at how well it has worked. I've been able to participate in Teams calls and work over a VPN with no issues.

16741539952036602608977781252160.thumb.jpg.9b54c0c6f13e0d16cc7867716767cd1e.jpg

At the minimum I think they will do the slides and easy pool deck upgrades, as well as any updates to internal systems (internet). I have no idea if they really have time to add Playmakers. 

My guess is the $$ set aside for amplification was likely used in other ways, but anything purchased ahead of time (maybe slides) is possible. If Inwas the project manager I would cut any feature rolled out on the other amplified ships (laser tag) that wasn’t popular, profitable, or was too much of a headache (Starbucks). 

We could make game out o our guesses and the rumors! 

for reference this is what was originally planned before the amplification was cancelled in 2020.

• Perfect Storm (outdoor complex with 2 waterslides - Cyclone” and “Typhoon”) plus the raft slide “Tidal Wave”
  • redesigned pool deck (Lido Deck 11) - adding poolside hammocks, daybeds, casitas (small wooden cabins), in-pool chaise lounge chairs
  • "The Lime and Coconut Bar" (3-level poolside bar / on 3 decks)
  • completely renovated Solarium (Deck 11 forward)
  • Giovanni’s Italian Kitchen (Italian specialty trattoria restaurant, also offers hand-tossed oven-baked pizzas and made-to-order dishes, premium Italian wines and cocktails)
  • "Playmakers Sports Bar and Arcade" (sports-themed bar lounge with 52 HDTVs on its walls, pub-type drink, and food menus, arcade games, trivia contests, sports tournaments, pool table, Owner’s Box /VIP seating)
  • Johnny Rockets Express (pool deck food and beverage service)
  • Starbucks (kiosk/brand coffee beverages and pastries)
  • Studio B (2-level lounge upgraded with the glow-in-the-dark laser tag game "Clash for the Crystal City")
  • Adventure Ocean (kids complex) redesigned and upgraded with new rooms and activities by age group
  • Teens-only club lounge redesigned and upgraded with an exclusive open-air sundeck and new activities

On 1/4/2023 at 12:06 AM, I_Love_RCI said:

We were at the same event.  Confirm Castle25's take.  Not much more detail as it's not a full "amp" but definitely adding more than new carpets.  Captain said, "there will be a slide that goes out over the water."  

I'm super excited to hear this. I am booked in December and my kids are ready to upgrade from the Jewel OTS kiddie slide. This would be a huge blessing for us.

On 1/19/2023 at 1:07 PM, LaraMcK said:

If that isn’t updated it would cause problems even with Starlink.

Why would you assume that?

Even new ships have WiFi issues because ships are made of metal.  Metal walls.  Metal floors.  Metal ceilings.  Metal doors.  The newest WiFi 6e standards do a poorer job penetrating metal than the WiFi standards from 2015 do.  

They could spend 5 million dollars replacing all the access points across the fleet with 2023 technology and the problem would still be... too much metal!  They might see a 3% gain mostly from access points that can accommodate more clients in places like the Promenade.  That would be money poorly spent.  

The only solution to poor WiFi on cruise ships is access points in each stateroom like new ships have.  They are not going to recable the ship and pull Cat 6 or Cat6E cable to staterooms.   That would mean ripping the ship apart.  Only Wonder has access points in the cabin in the RCI fleet.  

Jewel for example has a great 8 year old WiFi platform that can deliver more than everything that Starlink that generate, IF you are outside of your metal cabin in a public area.   

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/19/2023 at 1:00 PM, John S said:

We sail on EOS March 11th. We are anxious to hear of a more confirmed report form Royal about all the Dry dock happenings. Wish they would release something. We are wanting to make sure we are good to sail during our dates. 

Heck, I want to make sure that we are ready to sail in April. But for me, that's more of an upgrade prep personally, than for the ship!!   {;>]

Can anyone recommend explorer of the seas or voyager of the seas i am planning a Mediterranean cruise oct 2024 and i have never sailed on anything but oasis & Quantum class ships,  But my wife wants to cruise to Greece, Italy and Spain all on the same trip and those are the only to ships that do all 3 , but i am very hesitant about the older ships . 

all feedback welcome

On 2/26/2023 at 8:57 AM, daha699 said:

Can anyone recommend explorer of the seas or voyager of the seas i am planning a Mediterranean cruise oct 2024 and i have never sailed on anything but oasis & Quantum class ships,  But my wife wants to cruise to Greece, Italy and Spain all on the same trip and those are the only to ships that do all 3 , but i am very hesitant about the older ships . 

all feedback welcome

My regular recurring celebrity/fan cruise group for the fans and stars of the BBC TV series Doctor Who has sailed as a group on Explorer Of The Seas for 2 years in a row, out of the Pacific Northwest in 2018, and out of Miami to the deep Southern Caribbean and back in 2019. She's a wonderful ship and I can highly recommend her, and I'm sure she will be even fresher newer and more exciting following the dry dock. I would not hesitate to sail her again, however I wanted a slightly different experience this year, and never having done Oasis class before as a group, we are booked on Wonder Of The Seas for this October. For some ports the larger ships simply cannot get there, and going there on the smaller ships should not be a problem, as Royal Caribbean traditionally maintains them in very good shape. 23ShipAbove1VH80.thumb.jpg.6f871a0f1ee8152038fe575c6f63bf93.jpg