New menus to be rolled out in early 2023

There have been some pictures posted from ships of the new menus that now have the chef's recommendations repeated in the entree section that did not have it like that on the ones Matt put out. 

I'd like to credit corporate lurkers for reading this thread that pointed out the error of their ways.

On 1/9/2023 at 3:23 AM, FionaMG said:

BUT, instead of coming with morel mushroom sauce it comes with "creamy peppercorn" sauce. That was always one of DH's favourites but he can't eat anything that's in any way spicy.

I'm pretty disappointed in the new menus too. There are several nights when one or both of us are going to be struggling to find something we'd like and we don't really consider ourselves to be picky eaters. I think they really should have kept a couple of the plain always-available classics.

And I'm devastated that my all-time favourite royal chocolate cake is only available on one night. 😭

Oh no… my daughter gets an entire gravy boat of that mushroom sauce nightly and puts it on whatever she orders. And eats the Royal chocolate cake every night… I’m not telling her about this until the night before we leave in March!

11 hours ago, Maggie M said:

Do they still do the chocolate fountains and/or ice sculptures?

I definintely saw a chocolate fountain in the WJ at lunch once on each of my last two cruises (Odyssey and Anthem). They had marshmallows and pieces of fruit alongside it.

5 hours ago, FionaMG said:

I definintely saw a chocolate fountain in the WJ at lunch once on each of my last two cruises (Odyssey and Anthem). They had marshmallows and pieces of fruit alongside it.

Ah! I don't go to the WJ very often. I guess I miss a few things.  Though I did stop one day for a meal and found duck, which they have decided to leave off the MDR menu.  Another reason I don't like the WJ is the line cutting for that 1 piece of food instead of getting at the end of the line and follow around the counter. 

15 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

There have been some pictures posted from ships of the new menus that now have the chef's recommendations repeated in the entree section that did not have it like that on the ones Matt put out. 

Just noticed this too on Italian night on Symphony

IMG_2412.jpg

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Just noticed this too on Italian night on Symphony

IMG_2412.jpg

Are the new menus not in covers any longer?  The last couple cruises they were attached to a board with rubber bands but with the new menus it appears they are just handing you a piece of paper?  I know it sounds like I'm complaining but the MDR experience is one of the main draws for us.  If I want a flimsy paper menu with a choice of four entrees (excluding the vegan and Indian items) I could go to the local Applebee's.  Can't Royal find a way to cut cost without totally cheapening and destroying the MDR.

24 minutes ago, Jjohnb said:

Are the new menus not in covers any longer?  The last couple cruises they were attached to a board with rubber bands but with the new menus it appears they are just handing you a piece of paper?  I know it sounds like I'm complaining but the MDR experience is one of the main draws for us.  If I want a flimsy paper menu with a choice of four entrees (excluding the vegan and Indian items) I could go to the local Applebee's.  Can't Royal find a way to cut cost without totally cheapening and destroying the MDR.

I only started cruising in 2022, but don't think I've ever had the menus in covers or attached to a board.  I have gotten them printed on nice card stock, not flimsy copier paper. I'm fine with that, myself - it has not seemed or occurred to me that it's "cheap". Setting sail on Anthem Friday (hooray!) and we do dine out quite a bit at home.

23 hours ago, almondmilktea said:

I’ve never been impressed with this apple blossom because it’s almost the same as the we get from Trader Joe’s.  Give it a shot!

The removal of the soufflés (grand marnier and chocolate) are a bummer tho 😞 

I get my Apple Blossoms in boxes of 6 or maybe 8 from Sam's Club.

I agree, the removal of Soufflés is a bummer.

@JjohnbI believe since the restart, the menus were printed on hard stock laminated poster-type paper so that they can be wiped down and sanitized before and after the guests handles them. Maybe it wouldn’t be to much harder to have them in the leather holders or the boards and just wipe them down too…but, time will tell.

On 1/11/2023 at 9:52 AM, Jjohnb said:

The menus are on boards this week on Wonder

3 hours ago, BrianB said:

@JjohnbI believe since the restart, the menus were printed on hard stock laminated poster-type paper so that they can be wiped down and sanitized before and after the guests handles them. Maybe it wouldn’t be to much harder to have them in the leather holders or the boards and just wipe them down too…but, time will tell.

It sounds like it has and possibly? continues to vary by ship.  We were on the Enchantment in September 2022 and the Symphony in November 2022 and both had the menus attached to boards.  It sounds like others have been on other ships where they didn't use the boards.  It is what it is I guess, most importantly, we have a couple sailings coming up in the next few months and one on Celebrity.  Fingers crossed, I have no issues with change, as long as it's for the better (or at least doesn't diminish the experience).  

On 1/11/2023 at 10:52 AM, Jjohnb said:

Nope

2 hours ago, barjpoe said:

Back in the fall the WJ was having specialty dinner nights ie  British, French, Caribbean, etc. Do they still have those nights and if so do they match up with similar theme that is in the MDR?

Good question. I hope not since if I'm not interested in French night, I'd like something different in the Windjammer.

1 hour ago, Wheeler825 said:

I see Chops filet listed as a premium selection.. anyone know if you can get that without the upcharge if you already have the ulimited dining?

Not in the MDR. The UDP only covers dining in specialty restaurants but no upcharges, Chef's table, Galley brunches etc.

I just want to clarify something.  Can we still make a special request for a certain dish.  Indian Curry for example if we request it the night before?  

I am thinking no since they are going for a more streamlined operation.  But, if its an option still I would like to be able to take advantage of it.