Vision Class Ships

PG Cruiser

Can our experts here please help me out?  I got into a discussion with a fellow guest on Vision.  He was insisting that only Vision and Rhapsody are Vision-class ships and that Grandeur and Enchantment are not.  He was saying the latter were a different class because of their size.

Every recent fleet information I’ve gotten from Royal puts Grandeur and Enchantment in the Vision Class.

Can someone please clarify this?

Splitting hairs.

Originally the ships that are now considered to be Vision class were built in pairs at different shipyards.  At the time of building there was no concept of a "class" of cruise ships.  That label wasn't coined until many years later.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vision-class_cruise_ship

The first two were built in one shipyard, then they switched, then they switched back.    Low bid I suppose or a desire to get them built ASAP so they spread the work out.  

Two have already left the fleet.  At one time there were six.  

Sure enough when you sail them there are subtle and not so subtle differences in places.

Generally speaking everyone calls these closely related ships a class and they used the last as the namesake of the class. 

There are lots of points that folks can nitpick over.  Challenging Vision class as a class is very low on that list.  

I'm not sure why someone would choose to argue if they are a class or not.  Oasis and Allure have some subtle and not so subtle differences from Harmony and Symphony.  The first two built in Finland, the second two built at a different shipyard in France.  Sound familiar?  Yet no one tries to break these four ships into different classes.  Then there is Wonder, vastly different but still part of Oasis class.   Jewel has many features that her sisters in class don't.  Still a Radiance class ship.  

15 minutes ago, twangster said:

Splitting hairs.

Originally the ships that are now considered to be Vision class were built in pairs at different shipyards.  At the time of building there was no concept of a "class" of cruise ships.  That label wasn't coined until many years later.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vision-class_cruise_ship

The first two were built in one shipyard, the rest at another.  

Two have already left the fleet.  At time there were six.  

Sure enough when you sail them there are subtle and not so subtle differences in places.

Generally speaking everyone calls these closely related ships a class and they used the last as the namesake  of the class. 

There are lots of points that folks can nitpick over.  Challenging Vision class as a class is very low on that list.  

I only go by how Royal classifies their ships at the present time.  I’ve used their two most recent fleet guides to make the graphic on my signature.  That’s why I was a bit puzzled when the guy said Grandeur and Enchantment were not Vision class.  I was wondering what class he was putting them under.  But our discussion did not go very far.  When I showed him the fleet guide, he just said “Oh well” and walked away.

By the way, it did not help my case that the barista at Cafe-Lattetudes chimed in to say that Rhapsody was their only sister ship.

14 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

I only go by how Royal classifies their ships at the present time.  I’ve used their two most recent fleet guides to make the graphic on my signature.  That’s why I was a bit puzzled when the guy said Grandeur and Enchantment were not Vision class.  I was wondering what class he was putting them under.  But our discussion did not go very far.  When I showed him the fleet guide, he just said “Oh well” and walked away.

By the way, it did not help my case that the barista at Cafe-Lattetudes chimed in to say that Rhapsody was their only sister ship.

I sometimes find that some people from Finland or the Nordic region in general feel their shipyards are superior to others in the world.  I have heard claims that the welding done in French shipyards is inferior to Nordic shipyards.  I wouldn't be surprised if this was the basis of the claim.    

17 hours ago, twangster said:

I sometimes find that some people from Finland or the Nordic region in general feel their shipyards are superior to others in the world.  I have heard claims that the welding done in French shipyards is inferior to Nordic shipyards.  I wouldn't be surprised if this was the basis of the claim.    

I doubt that the gentleman I was having a discussion with had this information about shipyards and the construction process.  He was making his argument on the basis of this infographic. 

royal-caribbean-ships-by-size.jpg.thumb.webp.84ddfe08b8142b12e05e485e79791825.webp