Check in Question

PL8SWPR

Sailing Jan 23rd on a 4 night to the Bahamas.  We ordered passports 3 weeks ago knowing they may not be here in time.  On the check in screen, they want us to choose which documents we have.

Can that be changed later?  What should we select?

Passports were official received at the state department just over 8 weeks from time of sailing.  State department processing times are currently 6 to 9 weeks.

You can track your passport status by going here:

https://passportstatus.state.gov/

I just got mine renewed. I received my new passport at the 8 week mark. 

My advice on which document to choose: Go with what you have (birth certification/drivers license).  Then bring your passport along with your other documentation just in case. 

17 minutes ago, FireFishII said:

You can track your passport status by going here:

https://passportstatus.state.gov/

I just got mine renewed. I received my new passport at the 8 week mark. 

My advice on which document to choose: Go with what you have (birth certification/drivers license).  Then bring your passport along with your other documentation just in case. 

8 weeks from when they received it?

They have 11/25 as the date they started processing it so I have 8 weeks and a day before we leave.

15 minutes ago, PL8SWPR said:

8 weeks from when they received it?

They have 11/25 as the date they started processing it so I have 8 weeks and a day before we leave.

Yes, 8 weeks from when they received it.  HOWEVER, you are in the middle of 2 major holidays and lots of minor holidays.  It may (or most likely) take you longer to receive your passports. That is why I recommend stating on the check-in forms which the documents you have in hand.

You can go in and update your info after the fact. If you want to check in now and select your boarding time, put what you have now. Then you can update it later. At least, you used to be able to. I renewed my passport because I was within the 6 months of expiration, I entered that one, and when the new one arrived, put the new one's information in. 

If you have birth certificates-official with raised seal-as well as government ID W/photo for adults (like a drivers license) you can use those.  You can edit the ID section up until 2 days before your cruise.  If not the gate agent will accommodate the change.

you can consider asking your senator to get involved to expedite your passport.  I believe you’d have to be closer to the sailing date.  You can google for details.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Dumb question but did you submit your birth certificates with your passport application or do you have extra copies?

Have extra official copies.   I have my actual original without parent names which doesn't work for passports.  My wife ordered and received a new one to be safe. 

We've both cruised before on birth certificates, and were planning on our next cruise for late next October.  We had planned to get them before then especially since the ports were both Mexican ports far away from the embassy, etc.  However we decided that Oct was too far away so we booked this one late to fill the gap.  First cruises since the C word - didn't want to cruise while passengers or crew were forced to mask.