WOW Band Return or something new and improved?

Corporations can be slow to implement new technology. There are several aspects to this including development, installing hardware, updating, cost and whats up to date today, is old tomorrow. Money can overcome many of the issues but its not always available. Bands, facial recognition, apps all take time to develop and implement. Often they never quiet work as expected on roll out. Much is data and information based. Imagine the spread sheet it would take to contain all the information about passengers and information on daily ship activities along with invertible and constant changes. A lot of information is useless if it is not current. Keeping information current can be somewhat automated or passive but many times, it takes a person at the keyboard inputting updates. Then there are times when the information is there but but not disseminated appropriately There are so many variables and not all are always understood in advance.

I personally like the idea of the RC App and information it provides. At the same time, it falls flat on having up to date information and has the potential for so much more than its current capabilities. I am confident it will get better and at times, will probably get worse before it gets better. I just always try to remind myself that being stuck in Interstate traffic moving at 35mph is still better than walking. Magnetic cards are better than carrying a metal key with 4 inch plastic diamond shaped fob attached.

On 3/1/2023 at 10:31 AM, NotPayinExtra said:

Wow. OK, so really not worth the $9.99 then.

We got one for our 12 year old.  I think it provided value.  he did have to remove it from time to time ordering a drink and I just kept his Seapass Card with his passport card and gave him both to get off and back onto the ship.  Now we have it and we can just have it reactivated on future cruises until he is completely grown out of it.

Didn't see any reason to get it for my wife or I.

I have an update on this subject.

I posted back upstring somewhere that only the WOW bands without a muster station could be reprogrammed.  Not the case, it seems !  I didn’t realize until this morning that Dan’s WOW band, which was reprogrammed at the start of this cruise, has an old muster station on it.  So it may depend on who you get at GS, but at least in our case, a WOW band with an old (and incorrect) muster station was reprogrammed. Go figure.

17 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I have an update on this subject.

I posted back upstring somewhere that only the WOW bands without a muster station could be reprogrammed.  Not the case, it seems !  I didn’t realize until this morning that Dan’s WOW band, which was reprogrammed at the start of this cruise, has an old muster station on it.  So it may depend on who you get at GS, but at least in our case, a WOW band with an old (and incorrect) muster station was reprogrammed. Go figure.

If I was Dan I would be worried you are trying to get rid of him...  "Here, use this wow band (good luck at muster!)". 🙂 

27 minutes ago, twangster said:

If I was Dan I would be worried you are trying to get rid of him...  "Here, use this wow band (good luck at muster!)". 🙂 

We’ve already had a laugh about this.

This WOW band is a left-over from a Star Class sailing a number of years ago.  Dan laughed and said that his life boat would probably have champagne and caviar and mine would be one of the loops hanging off the side of one of the inflatable rafts !  😂

10 hours ago, Matt said:

I brought 4 wowbands from no earlier than 2019 to use on Wonder this week.

Was able to trade all 4 in. Actually, they re-used them.  Reprogrammed on the spot, no additional charge.

@Matt, Were yours imprinted with old muster station locations on them?  I've got some with old muster stations, and was curious if I could either trade them in on new ones or not.