Pets

I agree with Wayno in the sense that, yes service animals are well protected and despite what people say there is no registry or database of service animals. Unfortunately, people tend to take advantage of that and claim their dog is an emotional support animal. Companies can only ask if it's  service dog and what service they perform - they can't ask for proof of the disability or a training certificate - so someone who is falsely using "emotional support animal" can say it's for anxiety and there is no standing for the cruise line to debate that.

Alas, it makes it tough for people who do really need service animals.

all that to say..hopefully the pups in this case were at bare minimum well trained and using only the designated potty section and not causing distress to any other passengers

Emotional support animals are not service animals and are not protected under the ADA like a service animal is.  My wife kicks them out of her restaurant all the time.  Generally it is easy to tell the difference, like the time an 'Emotional Support' dog nipped at a passing customer.

Service dogs won't do anything but lay under the table in silence. 

You are permitted to ask specific questions about the claimed service dog.

https://adata.org/guide/service-animals-and-emotional-support-animals#:~:text=Emotional support animals%2C comfort animals,not considered service animals either.

I have never complained to guest services before, but on a recent Voyager cruise, I complained over a dog.  A passenger let her dog roam on one of the lower decks and up and down the stairs.  The dog was leashed, yet loose.  It nearly tripped me on the stairs creating a dangerous situation.  I showed the pictures to Guest Services and they knew exactly who the passenger was and said they would have security talk to them "again".  Super frustrating that the passenger created such a frustrating and dangerous situation.

Dog.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Larry Muster said:

I have never complained to guest services before, but on a recent Voyager cruise, I complained over a dog.  A passenger let her dog roam on one of the lower decks and up and down the stairs.  The dog was leashed, yet loose.  It nearly tripped me on the stairs creating a dangerous situation.  I showed the pictures to Guest Services and they knew exactly who the passenger was and said they would have security talk to them "again".  Super frustrating that the passenger created such a frustrating and dangerous situation.

Dog.jpeg

Not a service animal. Fluffy needs to stay home. If you can't leave the animal then you don't need to be cruising. 

I was a working dog handler in the military and have worked with the service animals for the blind and my mother currently volunteers with the Paws for Passengers at the Reno Airport.

I am in healthcare now and I can't even count the number of times patients have asked me to write letters for them to take their animals with them. I have said no everytime.

I know what it takes to have to need these very specialized animals and to have to them trained. Service animals cost thousands of dollars in training and everyone that wants to take Fluffy with them to the store, Dr's office, to dinner, on the plane, or on a cruise, diminishes the real service animals and does a disservice to the disabled that truly need them.

I have encountered several fake service dogs on my last couple of cruises.

When I helped my friend last summer with his restaurant, I would get several people who would try to cite the ADA as a reason to allow their dog in and how they will sue us. Every true service dog has the vest on indicating it is indeed a service dog, nor do they bak, run from the owner or try to eat food. 

5 hours ago, Boba Milk Tea said:

I was on Symphony of the Seas and saw a guest with two small dogs in the stroller. I thought there is a no pet policy? 

You are correct. Only service animals.

Unfortunately, there's no verification that the service animals are actually service animals.

And to be clear, service animals will never be off the ground (i.e. in a stroller).

Basically, people skirting the rules with "service dog" vests they bought on Amazon

2 hours ago, Jolly Ogre said:

Not a service animal. Fluffy needs to stay home. If you can't leave the animal then you don't need to be cruising. 

I was a working dog handler in the military and have worked with the service animals for the blind and my mother currently volunteers with the Paws for Passengers at the Reno Airport.

I am in healthcare now and I can't even count the number of times patients have asked me to write letters for them to take their animals with them. I have said no everytime.

I know what it takes to have to need these very specialized animals and to have to them trained. Service animals cost thousands of dollars in training and everyone that wants to take Fluffy with them to the store, Dr's office, to dinner, on the plane, or on a cruise, diminishes the real service animals and does a disservice to the disabled that truly need them.

This, 100%

We raise Seeing Eye puppies and the cost + effort that goes into preparing these dogs for service is immense. From genetic planning and testing before they are born to full medical care to preventative medications to feeding to meetings/outings, and that is even before they go into their official training - as raisers we always ask if our puppies can enter a location and respect the facility if they say no (because they are not working dogs yet, but 2-16 month old puppies who WILL go to training). They also wear their Seeing Eye labelled vests when we go into a store or other place for exposure. Then they have trainers on staff plus facilities specific for their training once they go back, where they can spend up to another year+ up at the site before they are matched with their person. And they also work WITH their person at the facility for several weeks before going out into the world as a working dog.

The Seeing Eye takes their responsibility very seriously to prepare the dogs to be models of good behavior when they are working. I don't take it lightly at ALL when I see people taking advantage. I agree that animals can offer legitimate emotional support and that some animals fill the role of emotional support animals - I'm not knocking that - but not on a cruise ship with a poorly trained dog. Find another avenue to help with your anxiety on a cruise.

I totally agree that emotional support animals (peacock any one?) and a service animal are 2 totally different animals. But I want to speak out for another group of people - ones who are allergic to animal dandruff. Now, don't get me wrong - I will bend over backwards for anyone who has a need for a SERVICE animal. I will even reach for my inhaler, eye drops, nasal sprays, and allergy medication to make sure they can have their service animal with them.  But all those so-call emotional support animal - those I won't stand for.  Because now their emotional support animal is affecting my emotions and health negatively. image.thumb.png.279842a0be5197bfddfe3e3d52d37ef7.png

If someone needs to push a small dog around in a stroller to feel safe and comfortable (the person, not the dog) then I do see that as emotional support. Maybe not specifically defined by any organization, but just by me. How anyone can not see that as an emotional need is beyond me. Not talking laws, rules, etc. Just as a person looking at the need of the person with the animal. If it's that important and someone is willing to go to that much work, then who am I to care. My only concern is the safety of the animal. But overall it's like shorts in the MDR. Do your thing, I'll do mine. Life goes on.

Jesus! This thread is going sideways fast. I just wanted to know under what circumstances a dog is allowed on a cruise ship. (So I can take my dog on a cruise too!) kidding! LOL. 

Once you've been on a Mediterranean cruise, a Caribbean cruise is so boring! I just came off the Symphony of the Seas and I couldn't wait to get off to go home to see my dog. 

8F642AB9-D84F-4E36-91D6-6430040756AC.jpeg

The ADA doesn't stop private citizens from reminding owners that all service dogs are trained to have "four on the floor" at all times.

They do not sit in shopping carts.

They do not ride in strollers.

They are not lap dogs unless they need to jump on the owner's lap to wake them up or check on them.

If I see a dog on a cruise ship in a stroller, I will be happy to ask the owner why the dog isn't obeying its four-on-the-floor training?

On land, I won't bug, but on a cruise ship?  I'm here to make you uncomfortable after you make me uncomfortable.  And I'm happy to repeat it.

On 12/7/2022 at 8:53 PM, NotPayinExtra said:

If someone needs to push a small dog around in a stroller to feel safe and comfortable (the person, not the dog) then I do see that as emotional support. Maybe not specifically defined by any organization, but just by me. How anyone can not see that as an emotional need is beyond me. Not talking laws, rules, etc. Just as a person looking at the need of the person with the animal. If it's that important and someone is willing to go to that much work, then who am I to care. My only concern is the safety of the animal. But overall it's like shorts in the MDR. Do your thing, I'll do mine. Life goes on.

EVERYONE'S pets provide emotion support. My sorta trained dogs are a comfort and a Godsend. But they are not trained to the standards to be on a cruise, nor would I ever presume to take them everywhere on that basis. An emotion support animal is not a service animal, and a service animal has to go through rigorous training to be able to do their job. There are dogs that provide specific types of emotional support (like for PTSD) that are well trained to detect certain markers and provide support, but those are SERVICE dogs for an emotional disability. Not a pet that makes you feel good.

They really do need to have a license for actual service animals and fine people for falsely claiming their animal is a service animal. The sense of entitlement displayed by people who do this is quite honestly disgusting and ranks right up there with people who park in handicap parking spaces illegally in my opinion.

I'll step off my soapbox now.....

I agree that to each their own, people deserve autonomy. However gaming a system to only benefit oneself while hindering others is a no-no. 

Every pet I have had has been a comfort to me. Do I miss my sweet baby when I cruise or vacation??? Yes. But I'm not going to try to game the system and put others at risk to bring her anywhere she wouldn't normally be allowed. 

I was recently in Macy's and this lady let her "emotional support" dog poop. Didn't clean it, just let it happen by the women's athletic section. She was pushing it in a baby stroller and letting everyone know it was a "service" dog. It was barking and jumping around too excitedly. 

My cat is not a pet, she is family and the only grandchild my mother will get. But she isn't allowed in restaurants, or on cruises.

• 9 months later...
On 12/7/2022 at 2:52 PM, Matt said:

You are correct. Only service animals.

Unfortunately, there's no verification that the service animals are actually service animals.

And to be clear, service animals will never be off the ground (i.e. in a stroller).

Basically, people skirting the rules with "service dog" vests they bought on Amazon

WRONG!!!!!! Service dogs CAN and ARE in strollers, laps, or anywhere they need to ve to do their job!!!!! I have a small dog and I am diabetic. My dog is trained to let me know when my blood sugar is low and since he is small, he often rides in a stroller so he is closer to my face. How is he to do his job from the floor when I am 5 feet above him!!!! I am so sick of people judging others because the THINK  they can tell a real service dog from a fake. It is obvious you CAN NOT and SHOULD NOT be telling people these lies!!!!! My dog is in my medical chart and I travel with a doctors note even though it is not needed all because people like you spreading lies that if a dog is in a stroller , they are not true service dogs! You should be ashamed!!!!!

This whole discussion reminds me of a recent cruise.  As we walked down the long hallway we came to a cabin steward, her cart, and a lady coming out of an inside cabin with her little white dog, Snowflake (my new name for the dog, so as not to use the real name).  Lady told the cabin steward that Snowflake had made a mess on the carpet.  Then the lady and Snowflake proceeded down the hall to the elevators.  While waiting for the elevator Snowflake peed next to the wall.  OMG!  Snowflake had no service vest on, so don't know the dog's status, but this was not behavior we needed to see as we waited for a different elevator.

15 hours ago, Lisa0755 said:

WRONG!!!!!! Service dogs CAN and ARE in strollers, laps, or anywhere they need to ve to do their job!!!!! I have a small dog and I am diabetic. My dog is trained to let me know when my blood sugar is low and since he is small, he often rides in a stroller so he is closer to my face. How is he to do his job from the floor when I am 5 feet above him!!!! I am so sick of people judging others because the THINK  they can tell a real service dog from a fake. It is obvious you CAN NOT and SHOULD NOT be telling people these lies!!!!! My dog is in my medical chart and I travel with a doctors note even though it is not needed all because people like you spreading lies that if a dog is in a stroller , they are not true service dogs! You should be ashamed!!!!!

Serious question, because I have never heard of a dog for detecting low blood sugar.  Why would a dog be used for this task in place of a continuous glucose monitoring device?  I am not diabetic so I know nothing about it, but I would think now a days with advances in wearable tech (things like apple watches and such) would make it way less of a hassle on a daily basis than the logistics of bringing a dog everywhere.  I would also think a service dog trained for this task would be extremely expensive.  Again, I am genuinely curious, and am not judging you.    

1 hour ago, JBC said:

Serious question, because I have never heard of a dog for detecting low blood sugar.  Why would a dog be used for this task in place of a continuous glucose monitoring device?  I am not diabetic so I know nothing about it, but I would think now a days with advances in wearable tech (things like apple watches and such) would make it way less of a hassle on a daily basis than the logistics of bringing a dog everywhere.  I would also think a service dog trained for this task would be extremely expensive.  Again, I am genuinely curious, and am not judging you.    

Yep, have a sibling that wears it one. Connects to an app of their phone and sends an alarm to the phone if certain thresholds are crossed

1 hour ago, JBC said:

ooh ooh - I actually follow a tiktoker who is a type 2 diabetic and has a medical dog. She has both a monitor and the dog and the dog not only alerts her (often times before the machine) but can also help get her juice if she needs to raise her blood sugar but is too foggy to get her attention, can help comfort her when she has the side effects from a crash or spike, and can alert her in a car so she can pull over and address the spike/crash before putting herself or others at risk. And, of course, the dog is trained to get help if she goes into diabetic shock or whatnot.

Her tiktok is abbey and darby and it's been really helpful for me to learn things like this I wouldn't have known before.

16 hours ago, Lisa0755 said:

I actually didn't know there were small breeds that were trained as alert dogs. This was helpful to know. I will be better about judging seeing small dogs in "service animal" vests. That said, any service animal that is actively working (aka in vest) is usually quiet, calm and non-obtrusive, right? So if I see a yorkie in a vest wandering all over and barking at strangers...can I assume the owner is a person abusing ADA rights?

50 minutes ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

I actually didn't know there were small breeds that were trained as alert dogs. This was helpful to know. I will be better about judging seeing small dogs in "service animal" vests. That said, any service animal that is actively working (aka in vest) is usually quiet, calm and non-obtrusive, right? So if I see a yorkie in a vest wandering all over and barking at strangers...can I assume the owner is a person abusing ADA rights?

A barking dog in a vest either has an owner that is abusing ADA rights or is in need of immediate medical attention.

36 minutes ago, Starrynight0154 said:

I don’t get it. Seems like a risky and bold assumption for passengers to expect their pet to be allowed aboard. What happens if the staff at the cruise terminal say no? Does the pet get abandoned, or do passenger’s miss their cruise entirely to return their pet home? 

It has happened and yes the woman abandoned her pet and was charged when she got back. It was at an airport though.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/woman-abandoned-french-bulldog-pittsburgh-airport-charged-allison-gaiser/