Drink prices went down

Seriously.  Remember when the price went up for some drinks above drink package benefit?  Well, on Navigator of the Seas, the price has come back down.

IMG_6258.jpg

Pub menu from Feb 2017

17966867_10210791862226747_667540395448598865_o.jpg

Pub menu from April 2017

Granted, the price of Bloody Mary's went up above the drink package, but this is still some measurable mark of progress.

7 hours ago, Matt said:

Seriously.  Remember when the price went up for some drinks above drink package benefit?  Well, on Navigator of the Seas, the price has come back down.

IMG_6258.jpg

Pub menu from Feb 2017

17966867_10210791862226747_667540395448598865_o.jpg

Pub menu from April 2017

Granted, the price of Bloody Mary's went up above the drink package, but this is still some measurable mark of progress.

Seems like buying a drink lately is like following the stock market! Up one day and down the next. In both cases, watch out for the crashes! :5_smiley: Within reason, they can charge what they want, as they have a captive audience.

By all the comments about drinking and such, the point at which the cost of the drinks, outweigh the pleasure of drinking hasn't reached that point yet. So, at what price point would you stop, or seriously curtail your drinking? $15, $17, $20 a drink? If they priced the drinks to a point that forced people in way to get the drink packages, because they were a "good value" they would still make a lot of money. Anybody see that move coming in the future? I think the longer the cruise, the harder it is to get your value, from the drink packages. That's a lot of drinking, everyday, for an entire cruise.

23 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Nice to see...I wonder if its just that menu on that ship or something fleet wide that is happening...

Given that we saw so many ships change at the same time when prices went up to $14, my guess is a similar decrease on other ships too.  Just a guess.

6 hours ago, fmanke said:

For those experienced cruisers out there, (nicer than saying old), was there ever a time when they served free drinks on a cruise? Or should I say, was there ever a time when drinks were "included" in their cruise?

There are ways to get free drinks on a RC cruise today. Look at the last section of this blog post: http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2016/08/18/5-ways-save-money-drinks-if-you-are-not-buying-royal-caribbean-drink-package

Drinks are included on the luxury brands, but of course your paying more. At one time, soda was included in the main dining room at dinner. 

I have heard of some booking promotions in the UK that have included the drink package. In addition, this is a promotion offered on Celebrity, Royal's sister line, so it's possible it could happen in the future. 

2 hours ago, Matt said:

There are ways to get free drinks on a RC cruise today. Look at the last section of this blog post: http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2016/08/18/5-ways-save-money-drinks-if-you-are-not-buying-royal-caribbean-drink-package

I'm not looking for free drinks, as I don't drink anymore, 19yrs this year. I was just curious about how cruising might have changed over time. Good information though.

2 hours ago, fmanke said:

I'm not looking for free drinks, as I don't drink anymore, 19yrs this year. I was just curious about how cruising might have changed over time. Good information though.

In general, most of the mainstream cruise lines have gone to a more a ls carte model removing drinks, done menu items, and some room service unless you want to pay extra for it. At the same time, cruise fares have remained at or below where they were years despite inflation. 

9 minutes ago, DocLC said:

In general, most of the mainstream cruise lines have gone to a more a ls carte model removing drinks, done menu items, and some room service unless you want to pay extra for it. At the same time, cruise fares have remained at or below where they were years despite inflation. 

If that's the case, it seems to be working as more people than ever are cruising. Keeping the cruise fares as low as possible allows more people the opportunity to cruise. And once you've cruised, they've got you. Also a la carte pricing, allows people to get what they want by paying for it, but allows others not to have to pay for what they don't want and/or won't use.

If that's the case, it seems to be working as more people than ever are cruising. Keeping the cruise fares as low as possible allows more people the opportunity to cruise. And once you've cruised, they've got you. Also a la carte pricing, allows people to get what they want by paying for it, but allows others not to have to pay for what they don't want and/or won't use.

I agree, but some, particular long-time cruisers, see this as nickel-and-diming. 

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 3:29 PM, DocLC said:

I agree, but some, particular long-time cruisers, see this as nickel-and-diming. 

People in general don't like change and this is just one example. You used to be able to get a steak dinner for $5, but those days are also long gone.

I was looking online for some sample menus and ran across an RC drink menu for the 70's I think. Most of the drinks were listed at $1.40 with some at $1.00! Had to laugh. Those must have been some fun cruises back in the day!

What's really funny is that while prices for drinks have obviously gone up with inflation, the process of cruises haven't increased nearly as much. In 1996, we paid $150 pp/day for a verandah suite (equivalent to a mini suite today), which is about what one would expect to pay today. 

5 hours ago, DocLC said:

What's really funny is that while prices for drinks have obviously gone up with inflation, the process of cruises haven't increased nearly as much. In 1996, we paid $150 pp/day for a verandah suite (equivalent to a mini suite today), which is about what one would expect to pay today. 

They have to get you on first, so you can burn off the magnetic strip off the back of the sea pass card.

• 3 months later...

If you book a room that is in the Star Class, (Oasis and Quantum class), drinks are included, of course that is speculative, look at the price for a Star class room! I don't drink and my wife has a couple glasses of wine before dinner, so that really doesn't add much value to us, plus we are Diamond, so we already get the 3 drinks per happy hour. But the Genie might be worth it...

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/04/2017 at 4:50 PM, FManke said:

For those experienced cruisers out there, (nicer than saying old), was there ever a time when they served free drinks on a cruise? Or should I say, was there ever a time when drinks were "included" in their cruise?

Yes on the MS Achille Lauro in 1970s Wine was always on each table for dinner free of charge.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the unlimited drinks and voomone for my wife and myself, 7 day RC Oasis cruise.  $475 * 2.  Two cases of water $82 * 2.  Each of my two kids got the soda and voomone package, $142 * 2.  That's $1,398 added to the cost of the cruise.  I see why they do this, gets the base price of the cruise low.  Hard to imagine drinking $67 of booze per day ($475/7) each. The voomone internet is ~$10/day of it, so $57/day of booze, still a lot.  We won't drink 6+ drinks / day each, maybe 3 or 4, so I'm going to lose a little.  Why do this?  I see diligent passengers can take advantage of 2 bottles of wine taken onboard into stateroom, plus look for deals, like 2 for 1s and free drinks while onboard and not buy the drink package and spend far less than $57/day/pp on booze.  The main reason I bought it is for the carefree experience.  Makes the cruise closer to an all inclusive cruise. I'm not going to drink to get my money's worth, that'll lead to hangovers and then not having fun on excursions. I prebought the shore excursions too for 2 reasons: discounted + not worrying about $ onboard.  I don't want to spend time onboard adding up drink costs and figuring out how to save money, and how much I can afford to do.  I do all those stressful decisions ahead of time, then enjoy the cruise worryfree.  That's my $0.02.

Question: 2 bottles of wine carryon....  is that per person or per stateroom?  Its per stateroom (https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2016/02/04/bringing-wine-your-royal-caribbean-cruise). K, I might do this too, not to save $, but just to have in stateroom.  The drink package doesn't mean free bottles of wine!

On 9/12/2017 at 10:05 PM, DocLC said:

@azfish Why purchase the water? It include in your alcohol packages, plus you could also carry it on to save money. If it's for convenience or the kids, I get it, but not necessary for the adults. Plus, a variety of Dassani waters are available on the soda package through the Free Style machines. 

Thanks, good call. I cancelled water bottles and will be refunded.you saved me $160!

On 4/18/2017 at 11:29 AM, FManke said:

Well, DW and I cruised for our 10th anniversary in 1982 - that's right, we've been married 45 years - and the discounted price was $1000 per person for an Ocean View Cabin (OV = small round porthole like in the old movies, hardly worth it. Also cabin was pretty small.). I had done my research and considered this a good deal. Itinerary was Nassau, San Juan, St, Thomas, ship was NCL Starward. It seemed, felt like, there were more active activities on the ship and less arts & crafts types. In those days NCL had a full broadway play on their 7 day cruises. Ship carried about 600 passengers. No free drinks, no specialty dining rooms. In my opinion the main dining room was a cut above what is served now. They touted drinks as being lower priced than typical on shore prices in the U.S.

Contrast this to current prices - we are taking the Rhapsody in December in a large inside stateroom (not real sure how big large is, but surely larger than the Starward cabin 35 years ago - it was tiny) for $509.

So let's compare. I'm not sure what inflation from 1982 woud be (maybe assume inflation would make it $6000-$8000), but I know that the $2000 was a large chunk of a month's pay for me. I'm retired now and the $1000 is less of a hit to my mothly income. It appears that cruising is not just a good, but a GREAT value, especially if you aren't a heavy drinker. I don't know the last time I had a hard liquor drink in a bar or restaurant, so I can't comment on those prices. I do know that I've had a beer with dinner once or twice and not paid more than $5.00. So it appears drink prices are a bit high. So what? The cruise line is entitled to make a profit. I doubt they do much more than break even on the fares, so they are making a lot of their money on the activities, bars, specialty restauraunts, coffees, etc.

DW and I aren't big drinkers, she never due to diabetes, me rarely a beer at dinner, so a cruise is a good value for us. If you were to factor in the cost of a room for a week, eating out  three meals a day at good restaurants with unique menus (you won't find a number of the items on the cruise ships menu in many restaurants), planned daily activities, entertainement in a lounge every night (with no cover charge), and you'll find it difficult to match a cruise at twice the price.

Leaving on Enchantment last week off Oct.17.  Do all ships have daily drink specials?  Trying to decide if pre-package is a good deal for a light to moderate drinker.  Hubby just drinks coffee and coke.  Also is the package good on CocoCay?  Buffet?  Have the drink prices gone down on Enchantment? 

7 hours ago, Rita Henry said:

Leaving on Enchantment last week off Oct.17.  Do all ships have daily drink specials?  Trying to decide if pre-package is a good deal for a light to moderate drinker.  Hubby just drinks coffee and coke.  Also is the package good on CocoCay?  Buffet?  Have the drink prices gone down on Enchantment? 

On Serenade I went to the bar in the theater and asked for the drink of the day, it was some fruity drink.  Went again the next night, asked for the drink of the day...same as previous night.  I'm not saying all bars don't change it up, but on that ship, for those 2 days it didn't change.  In fact, as I'm typing this I recall our first cruise in which my wife got the drink of the day each night at the R Bar, different drink each day.  So as with many things, who knows what you'll run into onboard.

@TinyTim $5,136.86 (savings.org inflation calculator)

Cruising has never been more affordable. I'm cruising the Med in 2018 for less than I paid for a 4 night cruise back in 1996. Granted, I was in a suite at the time, but the suites in the 1990s weren't much more than glorified balcony cabins of today.