Advice for asking for a new MEI TA

Ticca

My family is about to take our first cruise.  We are so excited, we would like to start looking for our next one.  We used a MEI travel agent that responded to my request for a quote on this blog (thank you to everyone who recommended MEI).  She helped me book our cruise and seems very nice.  However, I had to find the cruise and do most of the planning myself by calling RC several times to get the information I needed.   Not to complain, but I didn't get any discount, other incentives, or advice from my TA.  She merely booked the cruise I found through my research.  I even had to call RC to find cabins that were open for us to choose from.  I would like to use MEI again, but I think I need to find a different agent.  Because I am so new to cruising, I really would like more help with the next one.  So, any advice on how to politely request a new TA from MEI?  I appreciate any help.

5 hours ago, Ticca said:

My family is about to take our first cruise.  We are so excited, we would like to start looking for our next one.  We used a MEI travel agent that responded to my request for a quote on this blog (thank you to everyone who recommended MEI).  She helped me book our cruise and seems very nice.  However, I had to find the cruise and do most of the planning myself by calling RC several times to get the information I needed.   Not to complain, but I didn't get any discount, other incentives, or advice from my TA.  She merely booked the cruise I found through my research.  I even had to call RC to find cabins that were open for us to choose from.  I would like to use MEI again, but I think I need to find a different agent.  Because I am so new to cruising, I really would like more help with the next one.  So, any advice on how to politely request a new TA from MEI?  I appreciate any help.

I’d be curious as to what information you initially provided to the TA.  When I contact my MEI TA there’s. It much for them to do other than book the cruise.  I’ve already selected the ship, date, cabin (or at least category).  I think it would be weird to contact them and say “ I want to cruise in 2024” and then wait for them to find options.  

I think the real value of the TA comes when you need to make changes, if a problem occurs (like COVID), or when you have specific questions about itineraries, ports, cruise line options, etc.  

it also,takes time for the TA to get to know you and what you’re interested in.  We are an “easy” client where I do a lot of background work on. Y own since I enjoy it, but I know my TA is there for me when I have questions.

good luck!

7 hours ago, Reigert2008 said:

I’d be curious as to what information you initially provided to the TA.  When I contact my MEI TA there’s. It much for them to do other than book the cruise.  I’ve already selected the ship, date, cabin (or at least category).  I think it would be weird to contact them and say “ I want to cruise in 2024” and then wait for them to find options.  

The info I gave was, date range, cabin type and ship class.  Maybe I was a little too vague and needed to provide a more specific search parameter for her.  We were VERY flexible with cruising location, as we haven't been to any yet.  Next time I will narrow down a location choice before contacting a TA.

It sounds to me that expectations and limitations were not discussed with the travel agent.  Did you have a conversation with them?  I have used two different agents from MEI the first left the company during the pandemic and the one I am using now stepped in and got my refunds sorted from where they were dropped.  She has also been very timely when we have needed anything. 

The catch is we don't ask or need much from her we book our own cruises and then transfer them to her.  The only reason we use the TA is for when things go wrong or if we want to change something.  The TA can make these things happen and we don't end up staying on the phone for hours waiting on Royal.

We are going to use more of her services on our Alaska 24 B2B to help us with flights and car rental.  The cruises were booked on board and transferred to her and we will just need some help with the logistics of getting to and from Vancouver from wherever we are at that point.  We full time RV and do not yet know where we will leave the camper.

We were on Grandeur in Nov and wanted to change from my time to early dining we asked Beth to get it changed and she made it happen quick and easy.  We have a January on Oasis and want to make the same change but we did not get it transferred to Beth in time and my wife spent about 3 hours total on hold to make the same change.    

Beth also proactively repriced our Alaska cruises when they were transferred and save us some money.  

15 hours ago, Ticca said:

Hi Ticca,

Thanks so much for letting us know the advisor didnt meet the usual high level of service we are so well known for, and I appreciate the opportunity to make it right.  

I will send you a private message to see if we can find a better fit for your needs.  And please know anyone here can always feel free to message me directly here or email me at [email protected] with any feedback or issues you may encounter. 

Thanks!